• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

pup questions

gamefanz

Toby is 11 weeks old today. I wanted to know if he was on track with a few things.
I am finding Toby is alert and playing more than sleeping now. He will sleep for many a 1/2 hr at a time and will sleep maybe 2 to 3 times a day but does sleep all night. Is this normal for his age?
Also he likes playing more with people than he likes playing alone. He will play alone for awhile on the floor but would rather us pick up a toy and play tug of war with him or throw a ball (which he will fetch but hasn't grasped the idea of letting go yet). If I do not pay attention to him is when he will come after my feet or if I am on the floor he will come after my hands in order for me to start playing with him. We are doing all sorts of techniques to get him to stop biting. I have found that a very high pitch in your face squeal does work (most of the time) but I am waiting for the neighbors to knock at my door LOL My husband on the other hand cannot get that high so that does not work for him so he is trying other things. I do put him in his playpen from time to time to play alone and he does well for awhile then he cries. Is it normal at this age to want to play with people more than playing alone?
He is doing real well on training. He does come when called most of the time, does sit when told, does lay down when told and will roll over sometimes. We are still having a hard time with stay but that will come in time. We are making progress with walking. My husband did manage to take him to the mailbox but had to give treats along the way to get him to walk. I think he will get this in time, he said he will take him everyday to the mailbox to see how he does.
He has not had an accident in the house in awhile. He is getting it now that the dog door is there for him not only when he is in his playpen but also when he is in the living room! YIPPEE!!
Are we on track for this age?
Becky

Last edited:
I don't have a lot to compare to, but here goes. :grin:

Oliver was born March 9th, so he's 17 weeks old now. He much prefers playing with another animal or a human, but will play alone if he can't find any takers. He loathes being penned if he knows there are people home and will pitch a massive fit. He's having some issues with housebreaking, but we don't have a dog door. When Clancy was a pup we did, and he was accident free younger than Ollie is now.

Oliver is still waking up once during the night, usually around 4 or 5 in the morning, needing to potty. During the day his former 2 hour naps have become much shorter.

The biting problems have eased up some. We keep toys handy at all times to shove in the little landshark's mouth. I keep Clancy's collar on 24/7 now so Oliver will chew that more than his poor brother's ears. He had to learn the hard way it is unwise to chew on a cat. :sl*p:

I'd say you are.
Benji was pretty much the same at the age and still is pretty much like that almost 11 months old. He sleeps a lot and although he will lie down and amuse himself, he'd much rather play around with his toys with someone in the house. He definately loves a good game of fetch.
And to be honest with the biting thing, we did the same thing and i've only two incidents where he's properly bit me but both of those times we were playing and he just got a little too carried away.
As for training, i'm quite jealous. It took me until Benji was 10 months old to finally get him to lie down on commant. Before that when i'd try and teach him something he'd just sit and bark at me because i had treats.

This is a useful thread Becky.

Alfie aka 'Biters-R-us' lol @ 12 weeks

He now sleeps right through the night from 10.30 ish to 6 - 6.30am Hooray !! :)

He still has quite long naps in the day associated with post meals or post walkies

Yep he has now been going out on the lead for about a week. He is the devil incarnate to get his collar or harness on. Bite bite, roll on the floor, eat the harness... etc

In the garden he can be a menace, pulling off mouthfuls of leaves and having things in his mouth I have to retrieve. This means garden expeditions have to be very closely monitored. He loves to bring bits of twig back into the house to chew.

He started off being afraid of the cars which are plentiful where I live even though it's in the country, but now he seems to rush not exactly at them but pulling like mad each time one goes by. We are working on that with 'steady'

He will not go to the toilet out on walks, he holds it until he comes back to go in the garden. Passers by look at me weird as I stand there saying 'busy busy Alfie' :lol:

He loves people and rushes to get at them jumping up at them wagging his whole body. We need to work on this ! He learned a lesson this morning trying it with the cat. One fluffed up, hissing moggy, swiping him with claws extended, made him stop.

He is a bit hit and miss with his meals either scoffing it down and licking the bowl clean, or sniffing at it and only eating a few mouthfuls. He is fed 3 times a day. Should I be concerned about this do you think ? I try not to overdo the treats with this in mind.

Im saving the best ( worst really ) till last. Biting. If he is doing something I dont want him to do and I correct him by removing him he goes back to it and then bites my hands if I remove him again. He bites in play and he bites in greetings along with lots of licks too to be fair. I would say this is going to be my biggest challenge but have heeded advice from others. A work in progress !

Oh almost forgot....Training is good. He will sit, lie down, go back to sitting position by saying 'up up', roll over, stay for about 1/2 a minute ( but never when outdoors ) and give me his paw. I wish 'dont bite' was as good icon_whistling

I think Toby sounds as if he is right on track Becky.

Last edited:
Oh my I had a chuckle at your post:lol: Poor Clancy but at least you found a good solution! Thank you for your experiences it sure helps me. I hope the housebreaking get solved for good soon.
Becky

I don't have a lot to compare to, but here goes. :grin:

Oliver was born March 9th, so he's 17 weeks old now. He much prefers playing with another animal or a human, but will play alone if he can't find any takers. He loathes being penned if he knows there are people home and will pitch a massive fit. He's having some issues with housebreaking, but we don't have a dog door. When Clancy was a pup we did, and he was accident free younger than Ollie is now.

Oliver is still waking up once during the night, usually around 4 or 5 in the morning, needing to potty. During the day his former 2 hour naps have become much shorter.

The biting problems have eased up some. We keep toys handy at all times to shove in the little landshark's mouth. I keep Clancy's collar on 24/7 now so Oliver will chew that more than his poor brother's ears. He had to learn the hard way it is unwise to chew on a cat. :sl*p:

Oh please don't be jealous. Toby is not perfect in training. When we are outside it does take a lot to get his attention. I hope Toby gets better at fetching and letting go. We are trying to say drop it while holding another toy so he will let go of the toy he has. Sometimes that works.
Thank you for sharing your experience. I does help quite a bit.
Becky

I'd say you are.
Benji was pretty much the same at the age and still is pretty much like that almost 11 months old. He sleeps a lot and although he will lie down and amuse himself, he'd much rather play around with his toys with someone in the house. He definately loves a good game of fetch.
And to be honest with the biting thing, we did the same thing and i've only two incidents where he's properly bit me but both of those times we were playing and he just got a little too carried away.
As for training, i'm quite jealous. It took me until Benji was 10 months old to finally get him to lie down on commant. Before that when i'd try and teach him something he'd just sit and bark at me because i had treats.

You are too much:lol: My husband was asking me why I was laughing:lol:
I don't know what it is about the backyard and these pups. Toby starts biting on things he shouldn't so we either get rid of it or cover it with a brick and he will find something else to chew on. So we have to get rid of that or cover it and so on! I swear there is not much left to get rid of LOL He can find the smallest pebble in the grass like a blood hound!
I think your doing all the right things for biting. I think biting will be the worst thing to break for all puppy owners.
As far as food, I let Toby graze because he does not like to eat all at once. He will eat a few bites then leave it for hrs before he will grab more again. I do notice when he gets frustrated at us for the "no biting" he will take it out on his food. He does eat well just not all at once. He will eat 3/4 to 1 cup of dry food a day. We only give treats when he is training. We are trying not to repeat what we did with our Peke(wet and dry food and treats just because).
We have the same issue with "shake". He will give a paw but will bite you if you touch it. UGH!
Toby doesn't freak out when cars pass as he is walking to the mailbox but he does freak out in our backyard if a delivery truck or big truck drives by (we have a busy road behind us). He will come running back into the house so fast!
I think we are both doing quite well. I hope your visit goes well this weekend!
Becky

This is a useful thread Becky.

Alfie aka 'Biters-R-us' lol @ 12 weeks

He now sleeps right through the night from 10.30 ish to 6 - 6.30am Hooray !! :)

He still has quite long naps in the day associated with post meals or post walkies

Yep he has now been going out on the lead for about a week. He is the devil incarnate to get his collar or harness on. Bite bite, roll on the floor, eat the harness... etc

In the garden he can be a menace, pulling off mouthfuls of leaves and having things in his mouth I have to retrieve. This means garden expeditions have to be very closely monitored. He loves to bring bits of twig back into the house to chew.

He started off being afraid of the cars which are plentiful where I live even though it's in the country, but now he seems to rush not exactly at them but pulling like mad each time one goes by. We are working on that with 'steady'

He will not go to the toilet out on walks, he holds it until he comes back to go in the garden. Passers by look at me weird as I stand there saying 'busy busy Alfie' :lol:

He loves people and rushes to get at them jumping up at them wagging his whole body. We need to work on this ! He learned a lesson this morning trying it with the cat. One fluffed up, hissing moggy, swiping him with claws extended, made him stop.

He is a bit hit and miss with his meals either scoffing it down and licking the bowl clean, or sniffing at it and only eating a few mouthfuls. He is fed 3 times a day. Should I be concerned about this do you think ? I try not to overdo the treats with this in mind.

Im saving the best ( worst really ) till last. Biting. If he is doing something I dont want him to do and I correct him by removing him he goes back to it and then bites my hands if I remove him again. He bites in play and he bites in greetings along with lots of licks too to be fair. I would say this is going to be my biggest challenge but have heeded advice from others. A work in progress !

Oh almost forgot....Training is good. He will sit, lie down, go back to sitting position by saying 'up up', roll over, stay for about 1/2 a minute ( but never when outdoors ) and give me his paw. I wish 'dont bite' was as good icon_whistling

I think Toby sounds as if he is right on track Becky.

Just an update:
Toby barked once for the first time since we brought him home. My husband came home from work last night, Toby got excited to see him and he barked once. It was such a cute squeaky bark but it was there. Now we cannot get him to repeat iticon_nwunsure
This morning he woke up like a wild man! He usually goes outside to do his business then come in and fall asleep on the couch but this morning all he wanted to do is play and bite..UGH! at 4:30am this is not good! So I had to put him in his playpen to play alone. He played for a bit then decided to go in his crate and sleep! Phew! Its too early to play!

Becky

Last edited:
Back