• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Starting to get concerned again

Sydneys Mom

Last Wed. Sydney had an abdoninal tap to drain the fluid build up. Yesterday and today, he's been looking as if he is getting bloated again. I'm keeping a close eye on him but how often can he have these taps before they stop working? The first one he had only lasted 3 weeks, now this time 1 week. Not sure if this is normal or not.

One of my Cavaliers had to be drained only once, and his diuretics were adjusted; that appeared to have worked, and he lived on for a couple more years with a very dry mouth, and artificial saliva spray which he hated! He was very poorly but also very happy with his life - he didn't want to give it up. With my Russie though draining didn't help at all and after he gained over 2 kilos in fluid in just over a week and was in really great distress we called it quits - he'd had enough.

I think you need to talk to your vets about the best options, but I believe it depends very much on how your dog is feeling and what his quality of life is, and also (to be blunt about it) how much you want to put them through to keep them going. It's very, very hard to make the final decision, but sometimes it's the kindest and only thing to do: you and your Sydney will hopefully know between you when that time comes but I hope it won't be for a while yet...

Rosemary

Oh gosh. I have no advice for you Joyce, but I just wanted to say that I am thinking of you...and Sydney. Sending lots of angels your way to watch over darling Sydney while you get this figured out *ng*l

So very sad to read this Joyce - yes sometimes this can be very effective especially if it co-incides with an adjustment in medication which works more effectively.

I personally would not want to be repeating the abdominal taps more than a few times - I understand it is not a comfortable procedure :( However only you can make that decision - it depends on how Sydney is reacting to the procedure.

How is he in himself?

You are doing a fantastic job of caring for Sydney - he is lucky to have such a wonderful guardian, it sounds though like it might be time to start thinking seriously:

I would write down the things that you think are important to Sydney to give him a good quality of life

These would be on my list:

managing a short walk - even if it's only 5 minutes for the stimulation

Being able to eat and wanting to eat [2 different things]

Able to move about happily

Do you have water bowls near him at all times? [sure you do but just checking]

Managing a cuddle or whatever affection he wants

Being able to breathe when lying down

Not in any distress

Most importantly obviously - is Sydney still enjoying life?

Mine have always let me know in some way or other that things are coming to an end - and once you've made that decision, there is an air of peace about them even if they are in pain. I think there is also a calmness within you that the decision is made, even though it's not the one you would like.

Yes in some ways we'd like them to go naturally - but actually going naturally can be extremely unpleasant for them, and a huge shock to us to find them suddenly gone. Sometimes it is nice - one of very few I heard of was the lady sitting in her garden with the Cavalier at her feet, and he just passed away peacefully - she bent down to fuss him and he'd gone - but that is SO rare.

So I've always felt it is better to go too soon, they don't suffer at all that way. Too many are left too long and that is just cruel and you feel guilty forever.

I always have the vet out to the house, put the other dogs away - have something very special for a treat - such as prawns or sausages - and have them lie across my lap on a towel and feed them the treat whilst the vet lets them go. This way it has always been peaceful. You can have time to say goodbye - and I always let the others say goodbye too so they don't look for them [will still grieve but not search which can be distressing]. I'm not sure if you have any other animals in the house.

I don't have any advice either. I just wanted you to know how sorry I am for Sydney, poor little fellow. Gentle hugs to you both. :hug:

Just a quick update. I spoke with the cardiologist a little while ago and for now she just wants to tweak his medication. I need to bring him in next week (or sooner if need be) for blood work and probably the abdoninal tap then.

Sydney's regular also called me just to check up on him. She's just a wonderful person and I felt so much better just talking with her and crying too!

But for right now, Sydney is not is an distress, he's hapy and eagerly waiting for his dinner. I'll take all the small victories I can get.

Joyce, I'm like a few of the others here, and don't hav advice, but wanted you to say I'm saying a little prayer for your sweet Sydney.Hugs from us both.

Back