• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Annoyed! A stranger called Polly fat!

Erin2854

Just wanted to vent...Some total stranger called my Polly fat!! My husband David brought her to the hardware store with him and some guy was like "Is that a King Charles? Wow she's really chunky!" and David was like "Not really.." and the guy goes "Well she's really...well fed" How RUDE is that?! And the craziest thing of all is she's tiny and quite lean! She's only like 11lbs and very petite. SO ANNOYED! He's lucky I wasn't there...:swear:

If it makes you feel any better, someone once said my Clancy couldn't possibly be a purebred Cavalier because he's so big.

The irony was that the person saying it was transgendered. A woman with a y chromosome, calling my baby a mutt. :mad:

Your Polly is tiny. Mine are double the size then your Polly in weight and size. I just got back from the vets and he said that Ebony needs to loose 2 lb. Someone ask me once if my Harley is a Cavalier because he measures 16 inch from his neck. So he is tall. But I just ignored the comment.

The guy needs his eyesight testing, or as we would say in the UK " He should have gone to Specsavers"

If it makes you feel any better, someone once said my Clancy couldn't possibly be a purebred Cavalier because he's so big.

The irony was that the person saying it was transgendered. A woman with a y chromosome, calling my baby a mutt. :mad:

Oh boy this just reminded me of the one time I brought Skippy to a local CKCS meet up. Right after I got into the small dog section of the dog park, some lady who had been staring at Skippy for the longest time asked me if he was 'mixed', because he looked 'different'. After recovering from my initial shock and retrieving my jaw from the ground I responded and said that of course he was.

I think I understood her confusion a little better after I saw her own pooch (and a few of the others that were running around) -- they had flatter faces/snouts than a regular CKCS, resembling KCS more than anything else. Imagine the irony?

Is -this- the face/body of a mixed CKCS dog?? :x

People often do not have a clue...

People often get very confused about dog breeds, especially Cavaliers it seems. I have told a neighbor three times that Cavaliers are NOT the same as the Toy King Charles. She always comments on Gracie's extra long muzzle! And Cavaliers range in size quite a bit...so if someone is familiar with a tiny one or a larger one...they seem to thing that is what all should look like. I seem to spend alot of time educating folks about the breed....that they are not so cookie cutter.

Gracie just now reached 14 pounds....and she too has been called "big" for her breed. Polly is a cutie so we'll just let these folks keep their silly opinions.

Is -this- the face/body of a mixed CKCS dog?? :x

People are nuts! That's about as pure as they come, beautiful! Funny though cause I live in a really small town and 99% of the time when I tell people what breed she is I get a confused look and a reply of "Shes a what?!" or have people asking me if she is a cocker or baby springer..:lol:

Fat at 11lbs:lpy: !!!

Blimey....Good job Leo wasnt there. He weights 10kg!

The guy obviously has no experience with CKCS

I've had that happen loads of times with Belle! Her fur is extremely thick, so that's what I say to people, it's not fat... it's fur!
Although we have to watch Belle's waistline carefully enough and it's a struggle, little Polly is definitely in the petite category at 11lbs. Some people :x, just makes you wonder what they would say about you (that's what I always wonder anyway).

I don't get the 'too fat' comment about my dogs, but I am starting to get a little irritated by one of the neighbours, living a couple of doors away from me. He is in his 80s and starting to show his age since being compulsorily retired this time last year.

I made the mistake of e-mailing him some information that he wanted and forgetting to delete my dog signature and type 'best wishes, Flo' at the bottom of it instead. During the next few days I saw him going to other neighbours' doors with a sheaf of papers in his hand, but didn't take much notice until I saw him in the street one day. Trying to make friendly conversation I asked if he had received my e-mail. Yes, he had and then he gave me a tirade of abuse about having 'dog rubbish written all over it'. He went on and on, telling me that all the other neighbours agreed with him - 'some people have a dog if they must, they might even go so far as to have two, but five you must be a mad woman'. Then it was 'You ought to be locked up'.

I am sure that there are idiots like this in every street, in every town, city and village both sides of the pond. Best to take no notice and hope that they move on to have a go at somebody else.

A lot of the confusion over breeds is caused by pet owners not understanding there are two separate breeds and regularly referring to cavaliers as "King Charles' spaniels. This is the most common term used in Ireland and I would guess the UK as well. In rescue I regularly got calls for people looking for 'a King Charles'. It is one reason I called the Irish rescue Irish CAVALIER Rescue but most people still ask for 'a King Charles' or ask for help rehoming their 'King Charles'. I have pretty much given up asking if they mean a King Charles or a Cavalier... :bang:

An 11 lb dog could be overweight dog even if it were a slightly undersized for a cavalier (not much -- in the UK/Ireland where the breed originates, breed standard is 12-18 lbs so a single pound under isn't particularly small). But am sure Polly is not fat going by your pics! My Tansy is small, around 10.5 or 11 lbs as well; at 12 to 13 lbs she would be overweight yet still on the smaller side for a cavalier. Judging a healthy weight depends entirely on the build of the individual dog and really has nothing to do with the pound or kilo weight in isolation. (y) A 35lb cavalier might be perfectly fit and healthy while a 12 lb cavalier could be overweight -- each for its correct and healthy size.

People comment on how fat Pippin is - until they stroke him and realis it's all just fur. He is definitely nice and lean, although would eat enough to be fat if I let him. He's 8.8kg now, and really doesn't have an ounce of fat on him.

Maddie is tiny - although she weighs 6.5kb, which is about 14.5lbs so definitely heavier than Polly. Again, because she's a fluff-ball people think she's bigger than she is. It's only when you see them soaking wet in the bath that you realise how beautifully slim they are.cl*p

I've come to the conclusion that a lot of people are stupid - especially after being asked if Pippin was a poodle cross because his ears go curly in the rain.

I don't get the 'too fat' comment about my dogs, but I am starting to get a little irritated by one of the neighbours, living a couple of doors away from me. He is in his 80s and starting to show his age since being compulsorily retired this time last year.

I made the mistake of e-mailing him some information that he wanted and forgetting to delete my dog signature and type 'best wishes, Flo' at the bottom of it instead. During the next few days I saw him going to other neighbours' doors with a sheaf of papers in his hand, but didn't take much notice until I saw him in the street one day. Trying to make friendly conversation I asked if he had received my e-mail. Yes, he had and then he gave me a tirade of abuse about having 'dog rubbish written all over it'. He went on and on, telling me that all the other neighbours agreed with him - 'some people have a dog if they must, they might even go so far as to have two, but five you must be a mad woman'. Then it was 'You ought to be locked up'.

I am sure that there are idiots like this in every street, in every town, city and village both sides of the pond. Best to take no notice and hope that they move on to have a go at somebody else.

Now that is just awful, it's bad enough having him say that but getting everyone else involved, why would anybody want to gang up on someone for having 5 dogs (whom I'm sure get the best care!). Certainly if there was someone abusing their pets they wouldn't make a peep.

I was getting the complete opposite and people would use how small mimi was (she is 7.3kgs) against me in an argument saying she could be swung round like a hand bag in a girl fight, that rodents are better than her and how can you tell the difference between her and her stuffed animals. Some times i think its dog envy (if they have a dog or want one) as the people who were saying this only started when they got their dog which is a husky type dog and is no where near as cleaver as mimi is. I do get defensive like most people would because i could handle them saying it about me as i can argue back but picking on a dog, thats low.

Back