• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dr. Jerold Bell Does Not Let Us Down

RodRussell

A few words from Dr.Jerold S. Bell (actually, an abstract of a "short communication" in the Veterinary Journal) dated July 6, 2011:

"Breeders of dogs have ethical responsibilities regarding the testing and management of genetic disease. ...

Providing test results to a publicly-accessible genetic health registry allows breeders and the public to search for health-tested parents to reduce the risk of producing or purchasing affected offspring. ...

Recommendations to breed quality carriers to normal-testing dogs and replacing them with quality normal-testing offspring will help to preserve breeding lines and breed genetic diversity."

Does that last sentence sound familiar? The SM breeding protocol -- A to D -- fits right in.

He is hugely influential -- and what he is saying exactly aligns with what researchers have been saying regarding breeding for health with MVD and SM, and what was argued for with the estimated breeding values. I sure hope many see the wisdom of his comments, in relation to cavaliers.

Rod and Karlin,

I was reading one of Dr. Bell's articles "Responsible Breeding Management of Genetic Disease" and he mentioned the Scottish Terrier Club of America and the neurological disease cereballar abiotrophy (CA). I was wondering if you have read this and what you think of this and how it would relate to SM. He said it was widespread but is an example... http://www.tualatinkc.org/pdf/Responsible Breeding Management of Genetic Disease.pdf

I haven't the article yet, but it is interesting in the fact the Scottish terrier also has the "scottie cramp" which is very similiar to episodic falling. Makes me wonder if they share some common ancestors.

Rod and Karlin,

I was reading one of Dr. Bell's articles "Responsible Breeding Management of Genetic Disease" and he mentioned the Scottish Terrier Club of America and the neurological disease cereballar abiotrophy (CA). I was wondering if you have read this and what you think of this and how it would relate to SM. He said it was widespread but is an example... http://www.tualatinkc.org/pdf/Responsible Breeding Management of Genetic Disease.pdf

I have quite limited understanding of this ataxia. I know it involves neurons dying in the cerebellum. Since Chiari-like malformation, which is in the cerebellum, is said to be only part of the cause of SM, there likely are other problems which contribute to SM. But I would think that the presence of cereballar abiotrophy can be diagnosed rather easily, and if it was a contributing factor to SM, we would have heard about it before now.

I have quite limited understanding of this ataxia. I know it involves neurons dying in the cerebellum. Since Chiari-like malformation, which is in the cerebellum, is said to be only part of the cause of SM, there likely are other problems which contribute to SM. But I would think that the presence of cereballar abiotrophy can be diagnosed rather easily, and if it was a contributing factor to SM, we would have heard about it before now.

Rod,

The reason I mentioned it was because like CM/SM, they do not have a genetic test YET. However, the site hase a risk analysis calulator to help with breeding decisions because it analyzises (I think) the pedigrees. It is WAY over my head but what I was trying to state is that Dr. Bell is using this as an example of having information available to help make breeding decisions. They do not have a genetic test yet but they are doing what they can until that is available?

Back