Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Not The Greatest News

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Not the greatest news

Quote Originally Posted by Desrae View Post
    I knew this would become a flammable topic... it was bound to go this way. Throughout the whole discussion I just didn't understand why Nela wasted everyone's time asking or advice on how/where to buy a healthy puppy but ultimately went and did something impulsive anyway.

This is a public forum and I believe that people have the right to speak their mind, if someone is going to post something like this... they should EXPECT to be publicly flogged! It's a sensitive subject and many members and their dogs are suffering because of poor decisions like this. It's unfortunate that Nela has left, I wanted her to stay, because she just might need the support of this forum someday. I wish her the best of luck.

It's a pity, because threads like this can cause schisms and make people leave a forum.

NOT THE GREATEST NEWS

Have we not got to wake up to the Fact that our Cavaliers are are a very Sick Breed

How can they be any-thing else when about 90% are Suffering from CM

How is it possible for Cavalier Breeders to be able to Breed away from this Problem ,unless Fresh Genes are introduced to the Cavalier Breed.

I have said before and here goes again ,CM is Chacterized with Brains Too Big for the Skulls.

That this stops the flow of the CEREBRO SPINAL ,Syrinxes Form leading onto SM

So what can all the Health Testing of Cavaliers do about this.

Not a lot ,unless Cavaliers do not have CM or are Carriers of the CM Genes, and the Researchers have said that there are a number of Genes with this Condition.

I would think that at the moment there will be very few Cavaliers who do not have CM or are Carriers of the CM GENES

This is the price to be paid by being a Cavalier.

Let us all accept this Truth, and go all out to try an get Fresh Genes into the Cavalier Breed by what ever means.

The Pussy Footing around has to stop,

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like

This is what you wrote in your previous post.

I haven't gone out on my
    own in over a year because of serious social anxiety resulting from a traumatic
    experience and simply refuse to medicate. I 'needed' this puppy and I admit, I
    absolutely panicked at the thought of not being able to have a dog. The dog was
    my last attempt at staying off the medicine.
    What you have gone through in the past sounds awful and terrible.
    My question is how will you cope when your dog gets sick?
    One of my three Cavaliers is four years old. She was diagnosed with a heart murmur 2 years ago. I am coping with that, and then in April she had to have an operation for her Luxating Patellar. After nursing her back to health I thought we be fine only 2 weeks ago she had to have an MRI Scan and she has degenerated discs, she was also diagnosed with CM & SM what is not symptomatic.
    What I am saying is I would count myself as a strong person but seeing all the problems one of my dogs is having is absolutely killing me. Just writing this I am in floods of tears. How on earth would you cope with this kind of heart ache?

God forbid you ever have to experience this
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Not the greatest news

Quote Originally Posted by Sabby View Post
    This is what you wrote in your previous post.

. I haven't gone out on my
    own in over a year because of serious social anxiety resulting from a traumatic
    experience and simply refuse to medicate. I 'needed' this puppy and I admit, I
    absolutely panicked at the thought of not being able to have a dog. The dog was
    my last attempt at staying off the medicine.

What you have gone through in the past sounds awful and terrible.
    My question is how will you cope when your dog gets sick?
    One of my three Cavaliers is four years old. She was diagnosed with a heart murmur 2 years ago. I am coping with that, and then in April she had to have an operation for her Luxating Patellar. After nursing her back to health I thought we be fine only 2 weeks ago she had to have an MRI Scan and she has degenerated discs, she was also diagnosed with CM & SM what is not symptomatic.
    What I am saying is I would count myself as a strong person but seeing all the problems one of my dogs is having is absolutely killing me. Just writing this I am in floods of tears. How on earth would you cope with this kind of heart ache?

God forbid you ever have to experience this

NOT THE GREAREST NEWS

Sabby ,thanks for your Post,also why I Posted my previous Post is just to make it so important that Buying from Cavalier Breeders who are Health Testing their Cavaliers ,unless the Cavaliers have no CM,the Breed is just going round in Circles.

Those CM Genes will just keep on Multiplying

What I wonder ,does any-body have a Record of how Many A Cavaliers have no CM ,I think this is a Fact that should be being found out about,also in my Post ,left out the word FLUID when describing Cerebro Spinal.

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like

Default I can't believe that

someone who has had such wonderful advice and support from the amazing people on this forum has made an ''educated'' totally wrong decision. No I do NOT think that she was harshly treated at all. How much time did people spend advising Nela what to do. I flog myself mentally every day because six years ago we bought Rossi for 250 from a so called reputable kennels near our home. I did not know then about puppy farms and that they probably supplied this 'licensed' kennels. Nor did I know of syringomyelia. I am now suffering the consequences. I watch my wonderful Rossi suffer every day and it kills me. I agree that, if Nela has had mental problems with anxiety, how does she think that experiencing that every day is going to help her. Now that I, and many others are better educated we would never dream of buying a pup from breeders who don't scan. When you fall in love with this breed and you discover their plight surely you just want to save them. I am doing a sponsored slim to lose two and a half stone for RUPERT'S FUND. I have talked to my sponsors about syringomyelia and also the horrors of puppyfarming and told them to pass on the information to others. I am not looking for praise I just want TO DO SOMETHING to help things get better. NOT DO SOMETHING TO MAKE THINGS WORSE!!!!!
    Last edited by Nicki; 14th July 2011 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Edited to remove personal attack

Post Thanks / Like

Default In a perfect world..

In a perfect world...
    Cavaliers would be bulletproof,invincible and immortal.But they're not and no dog is...
    It would be wonderful if we could buy a puppy and have greater confidence in it's future health and wellbeing,but sadly,there are so many people here who have lost multiple cavaliers prematurely,as a consequence of MVD and SM,that new prospective owners need to protect themselves from unscrupulous and lazy breeders who put profit before health.
    I'm not a fan of public stonings either,and I can easily understand people buying cavaliers from untested parents in countries where Mri scanning isn't available or heart testing isn't recommended by clubs etc..
    But in countries like the UK or Holland,where you can get such puppies,I'd prefer to see people who know about health issues not settle for second best.
    Bringing home a puppy should be a joyful event,not one clouded in worry and guilt because you feel you did the "wrong thing"....and that's why I don't want to add to the upset already caused.
    We all love our cavaliers,especially the sick ones.
    But love cannot compensate for the pain my bitch endures on a frequent basis,love cannot compensate for the terrible feelings of regret for a life blighted by syringomyelia or for the loss of her quality of life when I see the others leaping in delight over each other as they play,while she cowers in a corner of the garden in case they bump into her.
    It's so hard when I look at her existence and think how different it should be.
    I will never understand how a family can knowingly open themselves to inviting such an affliction upon themselves when they have a chance to choose more wisely.
    Health focused breeders have no problem selling the puppies turned down by pet buyers who want something cheaper and quicker.It just seems a pity to lose out on the chance to spare yourself premature heartache and grief.
    I followed a situation on facebook where a buyer added a breeder from whom she'd been offered a bitch puppy...pretty little thing...fully health tested parents.She was so excited about her new puppy....in fact,she was so excited,she couldn't wait three weeks until the puppy was 11 weeks old,pulled out of the sale and bought a seven week old puppy from a BYB...not a test in sight....
    It didn't bother the breeder,the puppy was immediately booked by another breeder who thought she'd do nicely in her breeding programme.Probably good for the breed,but maybe not so good for the impatient owner who couldn't wait.
    It's a common story,many club breeders will tell you the same,it happens over and over again.
    Things will never change..
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There are some truly excellent posts on this thread, although it may be upsetting to some people there are some very important points raised and this situation is EXACTLY the reason we need to constantly try to help people do the right thing and support health focused breeders.

I have removed a bit from Cavluvver's post as it was a personal attack and we do not tolerate that on this board - I appreciate, that like many of us, you are very upset with the situation you find yourself within, and I know just how awful it is to live with affected dogs

Perhaps everyone could take this opportunity to remind themselves of the rules http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/f...ETTING-STARTED specifically http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/s...hip-guidelines

2) While a large degree of latitude is allowed for personal styles of expression, personal attacks, namecalling, and disparagement directed at other board members -- singly or collectively -- is not acceptable.

Sins post really sums it up - the contrast between healthy Cavaliers [those two came from a truly fantastic health focused breeder who is doing everything he can to help the breed] and a poorly Cavalier suffering with this horrendous condition.

Sins story about the lady on Facebook is just tragic, we have become a society of instant gratification, and that person just wanted their puppy NOW - doesn't care about the future, and not even a thought for the poor parents who are most likely suffering a very difficult life and perhaps even battling health problems themselves, without proper veterinary care
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think the problem we have in this day and age is down to the easy availabilty of anything and everything as person could want at the click of a button and thats not any one persons fault, its the modern way of life.

This in turn has caused people to expect results straight away and have no patience in the mean time!

When you bring a baby in to your family you wait 9 months to meet him/her, you spend those 9 months preparing for its arrival. Getting the room ready, buying clothes, furniture, going to classes if you need to. Its a massive event and I would think those 9 months are needed to prepare your self for a life changing event.

If people would just appreciate what a huge change in their lif a puppy is then maybe, just maybe they would spend a bit more time waiting and researching.

Its not just a problem with Cavaliers, Im sure there are many other breeds in just as sticky a situation.
    I truely beleive that education needs to start with Children in schools and that the government really need to get a grasp on Puppy farming and the pet shop trade!

People know that they can get a puppy from a shop in a day if they want to and that needs to stop, making it harder to aqquire a puppy could go a long way to helping not just our Cavaliers, but the mess that is Animal welfare in this country!

Karen

Ruby - my stunning soul mate who defies the odds every day
    Charlie- my angel at heart and devil at play