• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Not The Greatest News

Nela

I now have a puppy. Before you rejoice however, let me tell you that despite having wanted to buy from an awesome breeder with all bells and whistles, that was not the case. I know, I know. Trust me, I know. I don't want to get into the details because it angers and saddens me myself. Anyway, I made a 'selfish' decision when I was faced with 'It's this puppy or no puppy' and that is how I ended up with my puppy.

I have had him only for a couple of days now and felt too ashamed to tell you. Really, I figured I just wouldn't show my face here again but then I realized that I will really need the help and support because I do expect that I will be faced with heartbreak down the line. Basically, that's the only reason why I am pushing myself to post here right now.

Whilst it's really difficult to explain and comprehend the situation, the puppy will always get the care he needs. It's really odd for me to say this, but it's not about money even though it actually is. Basically, my boyfriend has no financial objections with treating a sick dog, but he had a problem with paying so much for a dog that couldn't be guaranteed to be free of the illnesses. In his mind, this breed meant health problems down the line one way or another. *Shrugs* I know it'll set many of you guys off. It did set me off as well. However, you don't know my boyfriend and he is a good man so please don't accuse him of being a terrible person. He just had a very different perception and I wasn't able to convince him otherwise.

Like I said, in the end, my own decision came down to having a puppy or not having one and I made a selfish decision at that point for my own personal reasons.

I have a little boy now. I named him 'Puck'. It's not an adorable name, but it's got a lot of significance to me.

Anyway, I am sorry for having done the breed such a disservice. It really was not what I had expected. I hope I can be allowed to stay for Puck's sake. Despite what has happened, we do love him enormously and we have every intention of giving him as good a life as we can while we have him. I had so looked forward to joining you guys as a cavalier owner but now I am so ashamed that I am scared to enjoy it despite feeling blessed to have this lil guy in my life. I'm quite conflicted really. *Sigh* This should have been a much happier post...

Hello Nela, Im sure no one will say you cannot stay ! Im trying to understand your situation here. Is it that you bought from a breeder that does not health screen/check or is it that your puppy actually has a health problem now?

OK I think I understand now

Last edited:
Not the greatest news

I now have a puppy. Before you rejoice however, let me tell you that despite having wanted to buy from an awesome breeder with all bells and whistles, that was not the case. I know, I know. Trust me, I know. I don't want to get into the details because it angers and saddens me myself. Anyway, I made a 'selfish' decision when I was faced with 'It's this puppy or no puppy' and that is how I ended up with my puppy.

I have had him only for a couple of days now and felt too ashamed to tell you. Really, I figured I just wouldn't show my face here again but then I realized that I will really need the help and support because I do expect that I will be faced with heartbreak down the line. Basically, that's the only reason why I am pushing myself to post here right now.

Whilst it's really difficult to explain and comprehend the situation, the puppy will always get the care he needs. It's really odd for me to say this, but it's not about money even though it actually is. Basically, my boyfriend has no financial objections with treating a sick dog, but he had a problem with paying so much for a dog that couldn't be guaranteed to be free of the illnesses. In his mind, this breed meant health problems down the line one way or another. *Shrugs* I know it'll set many of you guys off. It did set me off as well. However, you don't know my boyfriend and he is a good man so please don't accuse him of being a terrible person. He just had a very different perception and I wasn't able to convince him otherwise.

Like I said, in the end, my own decision came down to having a puppy or not having one and I made a selfish decision at that point for my own personal reasons.

I have a little boy now. I named him 'Puck'. It's not an adorable name, but it's got a lot of significance to me.

Anyway, I am sorry for having done the breed such a disservice. It really was not what I had expected. I hope I can be allowed to stay for Puck's sake. Despite what has happened, we do love him enormously and we have every intention of giving him as good a life as we can while we have him. I had so looked forward to joining you guys as a cavalier owner but now I am so ashamed that I am scared to enjoy it despite feeling blessed to have this lil guy in my life. I'm quite conflicted really. *Sigh* This should have been a much happier post...

NOT THE GREAREST NEWS.

Nela, I just don't how to answer your Post.

Bet

Well you are very brave to come back and tell us and of course we want you to stay.

**I know that this will raise strong emotions and many people will be very angry but this thread will be monitored closely so please be careful what you post**

I truly hope that something good can come out of this situation because you are able to speak out about what you have done, it might encourage others not to do the same.

I do feel sorry for your puppy, as you yourself say, it was a selfish decision and it has not given him the best chance of avoiding health issues. if I met your boyfriend I would like to describe the suffering I have witnessed personally with these beloved companions and tell him that by buying this puppy, he has just encouraged the breeder to carry on breeding and bring more unfortunate souls into the world. It's not just a matter of paying vet bills, it's the constant care, and the emotional drain on you, as you've already discovered, the love you have for these wee ones is overwhelming. That is the future for you and your boyfriend.

Yes health testing is not guaranteed - it dose however give your puppy the best chance of a healthy life.

Breeders who do not health test also often do not keep their breeding dogs in the best possible conditions or feed them well or give them regular veterinary treatment.

I truly hope that your puppy did not come from a puppy farm - actually many puppy farmers now charge similar prices to good breeders.

I do want to say that you should enjoy your puppy, and not let this totally overshadow your relationship with him. PLEASE make sure you take out insurance, if you search there is lots of information about insurance on here.

Again thank you for being honest enough to tell us, and I really do hope that you will be inspired to encourage others to support health testing breeders in the future.

Last edited:
Nela,
You're not the first and I doubt you'll be the last...
As you probably know..you've now relieved the breeder of the burden of an unsold puppy,taken the responsibility away from him/her and taken it upon yourself for the rest of it's life.
You're on your own with the puppy,probably no support from the breeder if anything goes wrong.
But,you're an adult and you've made an informed decision and we must all live with the consequences of our decisions,be they positive or negative.
Good luck with the puppy and above all else,just love him to bits!
Sins

All I want to say is that I appreciate your honesty and what ever is done is done, so my opinion won't matter here. However, I just wanted to say that now that you do have your puppy, there is no point in us yelling at you or anyone, so I don't think we should.

Like Nicki said...get pet insurance (well, we all should!) and enjoy your moments. Maybe since you feel that what you did might not have been the best decision...use that energy to make a difference, to help educate others and to talk about your story (why you decided to go forward with this particular puppy vs. health tested parents, what research you did before hand, how you feel now, etc.). I actually think your story can create (if we let it, so please do!) a healthy conversation. A LOT of people are faced with this cross road. The "oh heck, she's so cute, I'll just get her" type of situation, so don't feel like you are alone...I think most people just won't admit it. So I appreciate that you did admit it, and now what? What will you do now to create the "conversation"...with new owners, with people thinking about buying a puppy, with yourself. That is where you are needed...not to defend yourself, but to explain to to help in the future for the many many people who will look at a cav and just, "fall in love", or "want to rescue it" or any other reason that makes us all forget our own intentions sometimes. You are only human, and so are a lot of us, so now you can use your learning to maybe help other prospective puppy owners overcome what might have overcome you.

I have no control over who stays on here or not, but I support you stay and I support that we support you (not your decision, but you and Puck) and that we continue to support one another, educate one another, and be there for one another.

It is such a tricky one, this. On the one hand, you don't want to encourage thoughtless, heartless, money-centred breeders to go on breeding. On the other hand, this puppy exists, and is it better for it to be bought by an owner who will take good care of it, or by someone else who knows nothing about health problems and at the first sign of problems could have it put to sleep? I have similar feelings about the rescue where I got Aled - they take dogs out of puppy farms - great; but they get the dogs on condition that they don't reveal the name of the breeder - who can then go on breeding more puppies and misusing more bitches who may eventually end up in the same rescue. It is a real moral dilemma, and people will come to different decisions.

But the most important thing now is your puppy, and ensuring that he has the best possible chance of a happy and healthy life. You have to take responsibility for your actions - as we all do - but please also enjoy your puppy!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Hi Nela

Thank you for being honest but I don’t quite understand what you mean.

Have you just bought Puck from a breeder who doesn’t health test but has happy clean healthy looking dogs or is Puck actually ill already & from some kind of dreadful breeder with dogs in a terrible condition?

Have you seen his mother?

I have read hundreds of advertisements for Cavaliers the last few weeks & not seen one that has anything more than Heart Tested parents, the majority don’t test even for that & non have had parents MRI tested for more sinister things, if it’s the same in your country I can see that you felt like taking a chance if the puppy & the establishment looked ok.

I wish you luck with Puck & hope you will post a photo & keep us updated.

M

Thank you everyone for having expressed your opinions in a polite and respectable manner. I understand that many people must be shaking their heads and having to refrain from truly saying what they feel so I appreciate that those who commented delivered their message in a civil manner.

Whilst I agree that this was a bad call, it was an 'informed' bad call if I may say so. We did not commit to the breed, we did the breed a disservice at that moment. However, I insist that you understand that we did commit to Puck. This was not a spur of the moment decision, acquiring a puppy I mean. I had done months of research, looking into various breeds etc. trying to find a puppy that my family would fit and vice-versa.

I politely (and with absolutely no intention of offending) reject the following statement:
"I do feel sorry for your puppy, as you yourself say, it was a selfish decision and it has not given him the best chance of avoiding health issues."

I am sorry but that I do not accept. Puck was already born. If he has health issues, he'd have had them whether we took him home or not. If something I did would directly give him syringomyelia or other, I would accept. However, that is not the case. Though we cannot prevent him from facing health problems now that he has born, we can be there with him every step of the way and give him the care he needs when he does. We may not have gotten him from an MRI-scanning breeder, but we have committed ourselves to him and to his well-being. Whilst we didn't make the best choice, it was still a conscientious one in the sense that he is dependent on us and we will provide. This is a puppy that will never be abandoned at a shelter because its owners failed to inform themselves of potential problems. There was already someone else lined up to take him but we were the 'better choice'. The breeder had absolutely no problem selling her puppies.

"Breeders who do not health test also often do not keep their breeding dogs in the best possible conditions or feed them well or give them regular veterinary treatment."

While that may be true, it was not in this case. This was a mother-daughter breeding program. The dogs (Puck's parents) come from top of the line breeders here in the Netherlands. The dogs were family pets and the daughter takes her own dogs to her mother's every day so that they would not be alone. The dogs were in great condition and 2 of them were rescues. She showed me their EU passports and some test results she had done a while back so it was obvious that she got them medical care. She cried when we took Puck home. We've been in contact with her and she has asked that we stay in touch and send her pictures occasionally. She gave us a small puppy kit, including his blankie (so he could smell them) and his favorite toy. She told us to call her anytime, no matter the hour, if we needed any sort of advice whatsoever. She also spent a good deal of time giving us tips about raising him up. She was a member of the Cavalier club but said that there is a lot of drama there now and with the breed having so many health issues and the club still trying to sort out details, it just became too much and so she was getting out of breeding and going to enjoy her pets as purely pets. (This I have heard from already 3 breeders directly, as well as many having a written statement on their websites. Many breeders are getting out of breeding cavaliers.)

Though my reasoning may have been selfish, I much prefer to see Puck with us than he be with some people that would toss him out if they discovered he is ill. You may not believe me, but we are a good family to our pets. I have been rescuing animals for years and know what a committment they are. In the end, what truly matters is that Puck is loved and is taken care of. No matter what happens, he'll always have a home and people who truly love him. I cannot change his past but I can give him a present and be by his side in the future.

Nela- I would hope that I am not a member of a forum that would condemn anyone for doing something that many of it's own members may have done in the past, but probably would not be so quick to admit it. You have made a decision fully aware of the possible consequences, but have committed to giving this puppy all the love and care it will need. I don't feel that it is my place to do anything but welcome you to share your experiences and learn from the experiences of others on this forum.

I really hope that your puppy is spared the horrors of SM or MVD in the future -do your very best by him -if you do that, you will be doing a hell of a lot more than owners of healthy dogs of all breeds who neglect, abuse and abandon dogs to our overcrowded pounds across the world.

Nela I want to say that I commend you for saying something to the group. I too have felt ashamed for buying a dog who's parents were not SM tested. I thought we were doing right by choosing a breeder who tests for MVD, eyes and Patellas. I have all the certs for the parents on these. I thought we did great at the time until I got home from giving a deposit and I went on a search for message boards to share my news and I found this board. It wasn't until I looked at the threads on SM that I felt a pit in my stomach. I tried going back to our 3hr conversation with the breeder trying to think if I just over looked that part of the conversation. I honestly don't know if it was discussed. I did immediately call the breeder and talk about it. She did inform me that none of her dogs were SM tested but have not shown signs of it and neither had their parents or any of the family. Sad to say but I put my head in the sand and took that and ran with it. I am very paranoid at anything I see with Toby now. We did get insurance for Toby and I cannot stress that to you enough, get it NOW!
It is very hard to admit that I was in denial and I am truly scared for Toby and for us. I am trying so hard to not worry about anything until its time to. I am trying to just love this dog and make sure he knows that I care. But I know that this will probably be a fact of life for our Cavalier and I have to face it head on. I can only hope this group will be there for me when the time comes and I am sure it will. I know we will need as much help as possible. I know I will need to take fact sheets to our vet as most don't know about SM. I want to give it to her in the next few months so she can be informed when the time comes.
I hope this group does not look down on me either. In the last few weeks I have seen many conversations that have made me scared to say anything. I really wanted to make friends with those that have Cavaliers and share all the great things that Toby does or the funny things he does. I hope I can still do this.
Good Luck with your Cavalier, Many hugs((())))
Becky

I'm so pleased you have stayed with us.

Whilst it's really difficult to explain and comprehend the situation, the puppy will always get the care he needs.

I am sure that Puck will get every care. I don't think anyone reading your posts would doubt it and you are right that there was nothing in your decision that would directly harm him. In fact he is a lucky little man to have such a well informed owner.

It's really odd for me to say this, but it's not about money even though it actually is. Basically, my boyfriend has no financial objections with treating a sick dog, but he had a problem with paying so much for a dog that couldn't be guaranteed to be free of the illnesses. In his mind, this breed meant health problems down the line one way or another.

Your boyfriend is not wrong about the likelihood of health problems down the line, nevertheless on financial grounds alone his decision may cost a lot more than the extra money paid for a properly health tested puppy.

Taking a chance and buying a less expensive puppy is why it pays breeders to not bother about the health testing. They can afford to sell their dogs cheaper.
That is why puppy farms continue to exist.

As you would expect I cannot help but be disappointed that you rewarded someone that knew about SM but did not get her breeding dogs checked.
Perhaps she is honest in her intention to stop breeding. If she does not MRI scan then I hope so.
I have heard many breeders in the UK say they will give up when frustrated at the expectation that they be more responsible about their breeding programme, but a year later they still have another litter of puppies.

It was an informed choice, not the one I would have made, but then I have lived with dogs suffering with SM & MVD for years.
You reduced your chance of getting a dog that stays healthy, but it is the luck of the genetic draw and SM and/or MVD are not inevitable.
Your gamble may well pay off.

Puck is now a CavalierTalk pup and we will love him, want to admire his pictures, and rejoice with you at the happiness he will bring to your life.
It was brave of you to post and what is done is done.....So welcome to cavalier ownership & I hope you can now relax and allow yourself to enjoy your new puppy.

Nela,
Whats done is done....simple as that. You obviously care a great deal about Puck and will undoubtedly take exellent care of him for the rest of his life.
All you can do now is educate yourself fully to health issues in this breed and recognise them should they arise and treat accordingly. (Its what we should all do)
Dont waste your time with him worrying what "might" happen. Just enjoy the little chap and post some pics of him soon.
:smile:
Mel

I too hope your puppy has a healthy life. You are aware that this might not be the case, and you are willing to pay the expensive cost if this is not so (it could be very expensive, much more than the difference in price between an untested and a puppy from tested parents)

I think what you have been honest enough to say just highlights the colossal struggle that cavaliers are up against. Many people are trying to educate the public, and it seems to be falling on stoney ground.:( Maybe you can help here? because even the very knowledgeable people on this forum, including Margaret Carter, who I think gave you some names, were not able to persuade you to buy a pup from tested parents.

If you are able to throw some light on why all the explanations didn't stop you, and for that reason won't stop others doing as you have done, then maybe the people who are trying to save the breed can get their message across more successfully.

I am glad , at least that you bought Puck from someone who looked after their dogs and their pups well, and cared for them. (and it wasn't a puppy farm!)

Last edited:
While you are right that your pup was already born and he will be what he will be no matter who owns him. At least you are an informed owner and you have access to wonderful support and information here.

I really hope the breeder was honest. All too often I see breeders who "Are getting out of the buisness" and just like Margret said a year later they still have a litter. The "breeder" I got mine from said she was getting out of the buisness due to health and injuries. She "cried" over my pups terrible diagnosis... She "cried" when I made her watch the videos of my 6 month old puppy suffering in pain... But guess what? It's been exactly a year since we got our pup and she still has dozens of puppies for sale. At least (as far as I KNOW) she is no longer breeding cavaliers! She just expanded to other breeds.

I am in NO position to judge and you sound very well informed. That is what so many of us what.. informed owners AND breeders. While some may not agree with your decision it is after all your decision and you are the one that must be happy with it. I know so many people are hard on new owners because of where the puppies came from... its only because we care! In a perfect world if ALL new owners demanded health testing... breeders would have no choice BUT to health test... but we are not a perfect world. I too bought a puppy from a breeder who didn't health tests... I'm paying the price now...

I decided to buy the 1st Tri Color Cavalier I set eyes on. Not knowing the serious health issues in the breed. He is 1 year old and we are out about $5000 in medical bills for him. His monthly medication runs almost $100 a month. The worst part is watching him suffer at such a young age.

The MAIN benefit of purchasing from a health testing breeder is your chances of a longer lived dogs with LESS sever symptoms.

For example: I purchased my pup from a breeder with no health testing.... at 12 weeks old he had symptoms. By 6 months he had VERY SEVER in symptoms. His expected life span without invasive surgery is only a couple of years. While I wouldn't trade him for the WORLD and I love him dearly it is just heartbreaking on a daily basis.
His 4 year old dad is even worse (I managed to get the breeder to relinquish him to me). He has been given less then a year to live by his neurologist. He is the happiest little dog in the world and did not ask to be born with this condition but it is terrible and painful. He is also in the early stages of MVD.

I have now meet SEVERAL people who purchased from health testing/MRI scanning breeders... Not only are there dogs healthier but they seem to LIVE LONGER. While the risk of eventually developing SM is still there it helps to at the VERY least delay the onset of the disease. I would MUCH rather deal with a Cavalier who was affected by SM at say 8-10 years old then a 1 year old. Both dogs get affected but the older dog has a better quality of life. Dogs affected later in life can go on to live out there natural lifespan of 10-12+ years! While my dogs (who were affected young) have an expected life span of 4-6 years....

Aside from the financial drain of the long term medical care there is serious emotional drain involved. With 3 affected Cavaliers not ONE DAY goes by where I am not faced with SM symptoms and trying to manage them. All require medication 3X a day on a SET schedule. This means EVERY day is planed out between medications. 3 X a day (Every 8 hours) alarms are going off because if I'm late on medications they get set on a terrible course of painful symptoms that can take days to go away. Every dinner date or movie has to be planned around the dogs.

We really wanted to take a long vacation this year but decided in the best interests of the dogs that we DON'T. This is because of there strict medication schedule and there sensitivity to sudden change (humidity, pressure, temperature, excitement) I don't think it would be fair to take them OR leave them behind in the care of someone unfamiliar with the disease.

Then there is the physical state of the dog. Two of my SM dogs "dribble pee" uncontrollably. Not all the time. Only every now and then. My youngest has some ...lets say obsessive, protective/aggressive, behavioral issues... By talking to his vets and a few trainers the best conclusion we have come to is it is due to his neurological condition. Our neurologist basically said when you put that much pressure on the brain unexpected things like this can happen. It is a daily battle as it is triggered by the smell of food & drinks. Then try telling a 4 year old dog that he has a heart condition? LOL Thankfully they don't believe there is anything wrong with them! But over stimulation or over excitement is not safe for his heart conditions. So I have to always be aware of that. And finally the grooming situation! SM makes them more sensitive and any kind of grooming can be a real challenge.

I really do hope you pup is one of the lucky ones and never has to face SM, MVD or any other disorder. I'm sure many of us would like to see photos!!!

I think what you have been honest enough to say just highlights the colossal struggle that cavaliers are up against. Many people are trying to educate the public, and it seems to be falling on stoney ground.:( Maybe you can help here? because even the very knowledgeable people on this forum, including Margaret Carter, who I think gave you some names, were not able to persuade you to buy a pup from tested parents.

If you are able to throw some light on why all the explanations didn't stop you, and for that reason won't stop others doing as you have done, then maybe the people who are trying to save the breed can get their message across more successfully.

I just have to say I wonder this question ALL the time...

When I purchased my puppy the the answer was simple... I didn't understand the severity of the issue. I knew about MVD and other conditions (such as hips, eyes & knees). I did not know about SM. I THOUGHT I would "just deal with any issues when they arise" Sure I got my cavalier at a "great price" but boy have I paid for it in a SHORT period of time.
Had I read about SM I'm pretty sure I would have made the same decision only because the severity of the issue did not "sink in". I know statistics say "90% of cavaliers will have CM and up to 70% of then will develop SM". But it is really hard to believe it. Looking at a cute, cuddly & sweet puppy it is impossible to believe such terrible health issues could come up. It is not until the "I have been there, done that" that I truly understand. Seeing my poor dogs suffer is just heartbreaking... I KNOW I will never buy from a breeder who doesn't health test AND MRI screen. I LOVE my dogs unconditionally and would not trade them for the world. My days revolve around them but I can not live with the thought of paying a single penny to someone who is actively NOT trying to help this breed.

Nela I want to say that I commend you for saying something to the group. I too have felt ashamed for buying a dog who's parents were not SM tested. I thought we were doing right by choosing a breeder who tests for MVD, eyes and Patellas. I have all the certs for the parents on these. I thought we did great at the time until I got home from giving a deposit and I went on a search for message boards to share my news and I found this board. It wasn't until I looked at the threads on SM that I felt a pit in my stomach. I tried going back to our 3hr conversation with the breeder trying to think if I just over looked that part of the conversation. I honestly don't know if it was discussed. I did immediately call the breeder and talk about it. She did inform me that none of her dogs were SM tested but have not shown signs of it and neither had their parents or any of the family. Sad to say but I put my head in the sand and took that and ran with it. I am very paranoid at anything I see with Toby now. We did get insurance for Toby and I cannot stress that to you enough, get it NOW!
It is very hard to admit that I was in denial and I am truly scared for Toby and for us. I am trying so hard to not worry about anything until its time to. I am trying to just love this dog and make sure he knows that I care. But I know that this will probably be a fact of life for our Cavalier and I have to face it head on. I can only hope this group will be there for me when the time comes and I am sure it will. I know we will need as much help as possible. I know I will need to take fact sheets to our vet as most don't know about SM. I want to give it to her in the next few months so she can be informed when the time comes.
I hope this group does not look down on me either. In the last few weeks I have seen many conversations that have made me scared to say anything. I really wanted to make friends with those that have Cavaliers and share all the great things that Toby does or the funny things he does. I hope I can still do this.
Good Luck with your Cavalier, Many hugs((())))
Becky
To both you, Becky and Nela, I know how you feel. I didn't know about SM until after I got Jelly Bean. And when I found out about it I was devastated. Not only for the possibility that he might/would someday develop symptoms, but the fact that I could have done better research before I got him and possibly saved myself the emotional trauma it caused. I thought that I was doing everything I could to make sure I'd be getting a healthy pup. The parents were all MVD tested, eyes, and patellas too, and his mom's mother was still at the breeders and at 5 years still tested heart sound. Though, I later found out that JB's Mom was just over a year-old when bred. I try and count myself as a smart person, but I fell into the trap of falling in love with the pup and jumping at the first opportunity to get my own dog. I have done the best I can to ensure that JB will have the best life possible (he definitely gets enough love), and I got pet insurance for him to make sure that I can pay for any of the issues we might have down the line because I neglected to do better research early on.

I would say that we as Cavalier owners can't blame the new owners of these precious dogs. It shouldn't be on them to know all of these things beforehand. Yes, they should research, but really it comes back to the Breeders doing the right thing and doing the health testing. They are the ones bringing these pups into the world, they need to take responsibility and ownership of this breed's problems and make it their business to produce healthy pups. It is not entirely the new owner's fault for wanting the sweet and gentle, not to mention beautiful, Cavalier, especially when a lot of this problem seems to be fueled by the greed of some shady people out there.

Nela, please enjoy your puppy. Don't let the worries about his future cloud the fun of having such a bundle of love to play with each day. He's only going to be a pup for such a short time, so enjoy it. It is a unique opportunity, and yes you will probably still feel guilt about getting him over the properly health-tested dog. But he's yours now so love him and please please please show some pictures of him while he's so adorable. You are educated about the breed's health issues, so at least if there is a problem you aren't going to ignore it or possibly let a vet shove it off as non-serious. Good luck with the potty training, and most of all have fun with Puck!

I understand that many people must be shaking their heads and having to refrain from truly saying what they feel so I appreciate that those who commented delivered their message in a civil manner.

With everything we have been through, seen so many of our dogs suffering, and the heartbreak it has caused us, not to mention the financial issues, it was very difficult not to be angry. However being first to post, I wanted to set the tone so that this would give rise to a useful discussion, and not turn in to a slanging match. If you read many of the posts on the board, we always try to support everyone through whatever is going on with their dogs, the happy times but more especially the bad times.

Many of us spend hours and hours raising money, campaigning and trying to raise awareness of health issues, helping people to find good breeders etc - so this feels a bit like a slap in the face - I'm sure you can appreciate that.

There are some excellent replies here, and I really hope you will reply to Davecav's post - we are obviously doing something wrong and it would really help to know how we can improve.

Davecave: I think what you have been honest enough to say just highlights the colossal struggle that cavaliers are up against. Many people are trying to educate the public, and it seems to be falling on stoney ground.:( Maybe you can help here? because even the very knowledgeable people on this forum, including Margaret Carter, who I think gave you some names, were not able to persuade you to buy a pup from tested parents.

However, I insist that you understand that we did commit to Puck.
I'm very pleased to hear this - and I'm glad that this has been made clear. Too many times, as soon as the dog becomes ill, they are just dumped into rescue.

I politely (and with absolutely no intention of offending) reject the following statement:
"I do feel sorry for your puppy, as you yourself say, it was a selfish decision and it has not given him the best chance of avoiding health issues."

I did not word that as well as I could have done - I was trying to say that you had not given ANY puppy you brought in to your home the best chance of avoiding health issues.

I appreciate that Puck was already born and understand that you are committed to caring for him - as you say, he could have gone to someone who would not have taken care of him.

It is such a shame that his breeders failed to MRI scan, when they do seem to really care about the breed and their dogs - these are the people we need to be encouraging to MRI scan and to then carry on breeding, following health protocols. I hope you took the opportunity to talk to them about Syringomyelia and MRI scanning.

I hope you will stay with the forum, you are most welcome and we look forward to seeing photos of Puck and hearing about him. It will also be a most useful resource for you - and we hope that you will help us in getting the message out.

Have a look at this site too http://cavaliermatters.org/cavaliermatters/

Nela - Thank you so much for being honest.
I am sure your puppy will get a good life with you, and we are here to share your ups and downs.
Hopefully there will be a majority of ups and happy moments to share.
:hug:

I hope that flaming doesn't begin, a thread like this reminds me of flamebait... it also reminds me of another thread started a couple weeks ago by a member who is no longer with us. I don't know, tiz strange- I just get a really strange feeling from this thread, sorry, just have to say it. (Although the interaction between everyone has been very civil and with great consideration and understanding.)
Good Luck with your puppy and of course we won't ostracize you for it.

Last edited:
Back