• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

about SM protocol

kurtz

I try to show the sm protocol to a small honest group of italian breeders, this people actually give to the future ckcs owners an ecocardiogram of puppy's parents (in italy this is not necessary for the law), i think this people is open to every new idea regarding the cavalier king breed, if they're sure is good for the cavalier's health.

They ask me, if 90% of cavaliers have CM or 70% of cavalier aged 6 yrs have asymptomatic SM, and then they're no good for have outspring, there is only a small group of cavaliers really ok, and this small population can represent a biological and genetic bottleneck for the future cavaliers generations.

They think that with the application of SM protocol may be cavaliers can be finish, because the genetic pool is too much poor.

I don't know about this, and they ask me to propose you this question.

Kurtz

I try to show the sm protocol to a small honest group of italian breeders, this people actually give to the future ckcs owners an ecocardiogram of puppy's parents (in italy this is not necessary for the law), i think this people is open to every new idea regarding the cavalier king breed, if they're sure is good for the cavalier's health.

They ask me, if 90% of cavaliers have CM or 70% of cavalier aged 6 yrs have asymptomatic SM, and then they're no good for have outspring, there is only a small group of cavaliers really ok, and this small population can represent a biological and genetic bottleneck for the future cavaliers generations.

They think that with the application of SM protocol may be cavaliers can be finish, because the genetic pool is too much poor.

I don't know about this, and they ask me to propose you this question.

Kurtz

If breeders follow the guidelines they will have to remove cavaliers with SM that is already causes pain, so the gene pool will become smaller, but this was recognised and the SM protocol allows the use of older cavaliers with SM, but no symptoms, to stop the gene pool from becoming too reduced.

The genetic bottleneck argument was sometimes put forward by the UK breeders, and the truth is that breeders are between what we in the UK call 'a rock and a hard place'

(1) Continue to breed without removing SM affected dogs and within a few more generations the breed will consist of dogs with such pain ridden lives that nobody will want to buy them, and animal welfare laws will eventually stop them from being bred.

(2) Remove early affected dogs, start to breed away from SM but face the risk that a smaller pool of breeding dogs will be vunerable to another inherited problem showing up.

Personally I would choose (2) as giving the breed the best possible option.

Dear Margaret,

thank you,

i give them your response. They think that in Italy is not the same.

Animal welfare laws there is no problem, if something not happen out of Italy is impossible happen in Italy.

For them this part is enough for give not serious validity to the SM protocol: but face the risk that a smaller pool of breeding dogs will be vunerable to another inherited problem showing up.

They explain me that in Italy breeders never breed SM symptomatic dogs (as UK breeders do in the past), and for this they have notice of only two dogs with SM in 10 years, probably imported.

They explain me that the most health problem in Italy is the pedigree's falsification, because a lot of illegal imported eastern europe dogs can modify the health status quo, and with their false pedigree can enter in the officialy world of cavaliers king for breed.

When the discussion degenerate because my idea is different, and the other owners believe in breeders, i became a terrorist.

That's all.

I think Italy is not ready for this discussion, you have Claire that can explain the problem very well, in Italy it seems there is not a neurologist that can explain this in italian language.

Kurtz

Back