I understand totally what you are going through. Mimi had the surgery for Luxating Patella a week and half ago and we had to wait too from when she had her x rays to see if the insurance would pay, we got a pre-autorisation done so the vet would agree to bringing in the surgeon to do it. The surgeon did say that we were luck to catch hers quite early because all her feathers hadnt come in so we could see the little wiggle of the knee when she walked but if she had more feathers we may not have causght it so soon and it could have been worse. I must admit the waiting was horrible, the house was so quiet and there wasnt the little face in the window to greet me when i got home it was strange even though we had only just dropped her off its weird. I hope everything does well with the insurance and the surgery. keep us updated.
Your baby is still your baby no matter what species