• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

AKC and SM

gamefanz

I didn't want to hijack any threads so I am placing a new one. I received Toby's AKC pedigree in the mail a week ago and wanted to bring this to the group but forgot. In the package was an information sheet about owning a Cavalier. On the sheet shows the breeds health concerns. I was shocked to see that no where on the sheet did it mention CM/SM :huh: For those looking for a new pet or for new owners who do not do research or do not have access to the internet (believe it or not I do know some who don't) and they get this information in the mail after buying a Cavalier, they still will not know about SM.
I did do some research on this breed before I bought Toby and nothing that I looked at on the internet showed CM/SM on the information. I do honestly believe that if I had seen that I would have steered clear of the breed without even a look at breeders. I cannot remember what the site names are that I looked at though. UGH I swear some days I think I have memory loss:rolleyes: it runs in my family:(
I wonder why AKC did not put that on the information sheet. Any answers to this?
Becky

The AKC is very happy ignoring the problem, don't expect them to change any time soon. The ACKSC has a little information, mostly downplaying information about SM.

Why are the clubs whose job it is to act as the breed stewards and advocates refusing to even acknowledge a widespread, debilitating disease in the breed? I think we're all waiting for that answer.

Its truly sad to hear they ignore it. Before Toby and the Cavalier breed came along I looked at AKC to be the information spot. Of all the things to trust I should trust AKC..that was my thought for MANY years. You see AKC all over the place on tv and such. I think most pet owners I know look at AKC as the cream of the crop for info. I always thought that people just pass on rumors and they are not in the KNOW but AKC IS! Sad:(
Becky

... I wonder why AKC did not put that on the information sheet. Any answers to this?

In the AKC, it relies upon each breed's parent club to prepare whatever information the parent club chooses to have sent to the new owners. So, whatever you received would have been prepared by the cavaliers' AKC parent club, the American Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club (ACKCSC).

Great info Thank you! But so very sad that the ACKCSC chooses not to inform new owners of CM/SM:(
Becky

In the AKC, it relies upon each breed's parent club to prepare whatever information the parent club chooses to have sent to the new owners. So, whatever you received would have been prepared by the cavaliers' AKC parent club, the American Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club (ACKCSC).

Great info Thank you! But so very sad that the ACKCSC chooses not to inform new owners of CM/SM:(

ACKCSC seems to have far more important things to deal with than letting new cavalier owners know about CM/SM. That's why you have to rely upon independent cavalier health websites, and email lists like this one, to find out the truth about CM/SM, and for that matter, the truth about ACKCSC.

I wish I had done a lot more digging than I did on the breed as I know most everyone feels the same. I guess I just saw the same info on a few sites and felt that must be all the info on health.
Becky

The ACKCSC has had woeful information on just about every health issue in the breed. They do not endorse the MVD breeding protocol. They posted very misleading information on SM on the site.

I wonder why AKC did not put that on the information sheet. Any answers to this?
Becky

Because the national kennel and breed clubs seem to prefer to let their breeders get on with selling puppies rather than informing prospective owners about the realistic health risks in breeds :sl*p:. The ACKCSC don't endorse any health testing either, leaving buyers with little useful information. The clubs do not even do much to inform their breeder membership about SM. When I first set up www.smcavalier.com a lot of the private email I got was from breeders who had no idea there was a range of info available, research going on, testing recommendations etc -- and wondering why their own breed club sites were failing to provide the info private sites like mine and Rod's do. The only logical answer is that breeders have a vested interest in selling puppies, and for many, sadly maybe most, the less the buyer knows, the better. There are many great breeders who do give loads of information on CKCS health issues on their websites -- such as Laura Lang on www.roycroftcavaliers.com.

Thank you for explaining Karlin. I do hope these websites become popular especially when just searching out the breed. I will be printing out the information on your website to give to my vet. I don't know if she knows of SM yet. I am waiting for our next vaccination date to talk to her.
Becky

The ACKCSC has had woeful information on just about every health issue in the breed. They do not endorse the MVD breeding protocol. They posted very misleading information on SM on the site.

Because the national kennel and breed clubs seem to prefer to let their breeders get on with selling puppies rather than informing prospective owners about the realistic health risks in breeds :sl*p:. The ACKCSC don't endorse any health testing either, leaving buyers with little useful information. The clubs do not even do much to inform their breeder membership about SM. When I first set up www.smcavalier.com a lot of the private email I got was from breeders who had no idea there was a range of info available, research going on, testing recommendations etc -- and wondering why their own breed club sites were failing to provide the info private sites like mine and Rod's do. The only logical answer is that breeders have a vested interest in selling puppies, and for many, sadly maybe most, the less the buyer knows, the better. There are many great breeders who do give loads of information on CKCS health issues on their websites -- such as Laura Lang on www.roycroftcavaliers.com.

I do hope these websites become popular especially when just searching out the breed.

I belong to a general dog forum also. When anyone enquires about getting a Cavalier, I always refer them to Karlin's links on buying a Cavalier puppy.
I think there is a general concensus on this other forum that Cavaliers have significant health issues, but again this other forum is also a board of "dog" people.
J.

Back