Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canceling our visit with other Cavs...for a sad reason

Post Thanks / Like

Default Canceling our visit with other Cavs...for a sad reason

We were set today to visit a couple of young Cavs who come from MRI tested parents, but Gracie has been showing more troubling signs that she may have an inner ear issue, SM or PSOM. Yesterday's activity was particularly noticeable. I am too tired now to get into details on what we observed but it is troubling. Will try to get video but most often happens on walks. Unlike some, she is badly trying to get at BOTH sides to scratch, not one-sided issue. And shaking head throughout the day like she is trying to clear it. She clearly dreads going out with harness or collar on. As much as I hated to do it, we cancelled our trip and am spending today getting ready for vet visit and medical waiver forms signed for insurance. I think that I just need to know for sure what we are dealing with and get on with it. If not serious then we can look for a second dog later.When I have more energy, I will post more info but just letting all know that this is why I feel so strongly now about seeking out the best breeders. And because of my initial lack of knowledge on the breed's situation, I have a sweet angel who likely has one or more of the dreaded conditions. I have suspected this in my gut for a while but still emotionally devastating when it is upon you. I will say how impressed I was when I cancelled the visit and breeder took time to share very helpful resources in USA for neurological disorders. She also told me that a dog would always be there for us...just to call. She acknowledges the reality we are facing with Cavs in the USA. More later when I have the strength...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So sorry to read this.

Fingers crossed for Gracie.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like

Default I hope this helps sen message home...

Thanks Margaret.....not sure why a sudden show of symptoms but can't put this off

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So sad to hear this - our thoughts are with you.

Please check her ears though and make sure there is nothing going on there that might be causing irritation?
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

My heart goes out to you Debra.
    Christine
    Spangle born 24/11/07 (Blen)
    Poppy (Blen)who went to Rainbow Bridge aged 13 and a half.

Post Thanks / Like

Poor Gracie. So sorry to hear this Debra. I can hear the fear in your post. I'll be sending good wishes and prayers to you and Gracie. You're doing a wonderful job taking care of her right now and putting her first. Good luck and let us know how she's getting on.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Gracie !! Are her ears pretty clean? She may just have an ear infection or something stuck in her ears. Fingers crossed for you guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Debra,

I'm so sorry! I will call you in a bit. I would ask to get a referral to nc state. Since they are a vet school, you may not even need a referral. Ask to see dr. Olby. I heard some not great things from 2 people who probably saw an intern or something. My friend (on forum) recently went because her cavalier corey had surgery with dr. Shores. She had a follow up mri and I don't believe it was dr. Olby but really liked the neurologist. I will call you with details.

The reason I think you should see a neurologist is because vets are not going to know much about neurological conditions. Since you live close to nc state, I think that's your best option.

If you need me to go with you or anything, I'm here!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Actually, you may want to see vet to rule out mites, but I know you have been concerned before

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks Annie!

Am doing better. I think I can get to NC State without referral. We are going to at least have a good look in her ears today at 4 pm with regular vet. This has come on fairly sudden so not sure what is up. It does seem unlikely but feel we have to rule it out first. if nothing visible then will get to neurologist. I greatly appreciate the recommendation. In reading over posts here, this seems more like PSOM but who knows???