Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canceling our visit with other Cavs...for a sad reason

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GraciesMom View Post
    Am doing better. I think I can get to NC State without referral. We are going to at least have a good look in her ears today at 4 pm with regular vet. This has come on fairly sudden so not sure what is up. It does seem unlikely but feel we have to rule it out first. if nothing visible then will get to neurologist. I greatly appreciate the recommendation. In reading over posts here, this seems more like PSOM but who knows???
    I do hope Gracie is ok. But, if this has come on very sudden, it could be ear mites. Bobby and Belle had this before and they used to keep us up at night with their scratching and overall discomfort. We got them some drops and had a dosing routine for about two weeks I think, but t cleared up and they were happy!
    We're thinking of and praying for you.
    Desrae, guardian of two tri-coloured cavaliers, Belle 3 years old and Bobby 1 year/8 months.

Post Thanks / Like

(((hugs))) and prayers for something with a relatively simple fix...

Post Thanks / Like

My heart goes out to you. Hope this is something simple.
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like

Default Well...just got home from vet

He did find a moderate ear inflammation with yeast... and yeast in eye discharge too. He Said Gracie also sounded a bit congested....and I agree. So we do have new ear cleanser and ear drop meds called Mometamax. He also wants her to take an allergy med that has prednisone in it and am not so crazy about that. It is called Temeril-P. Any thoughts on that med??Anyway...he did see a bit of her head shaking and scratching. His thoughts are to see where we are in about a week. He is familiar with SM and PSOM, but not totally. He did say he was not sure the treatments would fully address her symptoms, but give it a try. He did add that he knows a vet who has treated these conditions and would talk to him. I think he said it was Dr. Olby at NC State University. Karlin, you may want to move this to Health and Diet since we have now moved on to treatment.That is all I can report for now. Thanks for your support and knowledge.

Post Thanks / Like

Debra, please look up Mometamax. I fear it doesn't have the best reputation, and has some history tied to deafness. My Nash, Claire's brother (non Cav) had a history of bad ear infections for many years. All yeast. We tried it all and I wish I had known about one particular product many years ago, because I blame his nearly total deafness on some of the Meds we were on (sadly, Nash went to the bridge 2 weeks ago tomorrow, cancer, and I'm still having a hard time talking about it)Anyway, I digress. I started him on a product called Zymox. I got it from Entirely Pets. It was like a miracle. I had the best results with the one with hydrocortisone in it. Very reasonably priced too. I'll post a link in a bit. I heard about it through other friends who have used it for years.My vet now carries it. I had suggested it, and they looked into it and they love it.
    Cindy and Claire
    Claire was born on Feb7, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!!! Thank you for warning! We have not applied it yet. Will go do research now. I have gotten great stuff from Entirely Pets, including probiotics.
    Quote Originally Posted by mommytoClaire View Post
    Debra, please look up Mometamax. I fear it doesn't have the best reputation, and has some history tied to deafness. My Nash, Claire's brother (non Cav) had a history of bad ear infections for many years. All yeast. We tried it all and I wish I had known about one particular product many years ago, because I blame his nearly total deafness on some of the Meds we were on (sadly, Nash went to the bridge 2 weeks ago tomorrow, cancer, and I'm still having a hard time talking about it)Anyway, I digress. I started him on a product called Zymox. I got it from Entirely Pets. It was like a miracle. I had the best results with the one with hydrocortisone in it. Very reasonably priced too. I'll post a link in a bit. I heard about it through other friends who have used it for years.My vet now carries it. I had suggested it, and they looked into it and they love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GraciesMom View Post
    He did find a moderate ear inflammation with yeast... and yeast in eye discharge too.
    By any chance do Gracies eye tears smell weird? I am a bit worried about Coco's eyes now because when they do get weepy it is clear, but smells kinda funky.

Post Thanks / Like

Want to apologize for my posts. Seems that these days, though I use paragraphs, and double spacing after periods at end of sentences, none show in the final posts. Thinking it has something to do with the posts being done on my IPad. But, didn't notice this issue till a couple weeks ago when upgrades were done on this website.
    Cindy and Claire
    Claire was born on Feb7, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

He also wants her to take an allergy med that has prednisone in it and am not so crazy about that. It is called Temeril-P. Any thoughts on that med?
    My mom's dog has taken Temeril-P on a short term basis for itching from allergies. He has not had any ill effects. It's supposed to be a low dose of prednisone.

I hope Gracie feels better really soon.

J.
    J. and pups, Gem, Monty, Harley and Sapphire

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Debra I hope Gracie is ok and she gets some relief soon. It must be very worrying for you. Jasper and Holly send big hugs!
    Deb