• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Coping with shedding

CSutherland

We got our cav in January and immediately noticed excessive shedding. We had never had an indoor dog before and it was shocking. As time has passed we thought it had lessened considerably, but now I'm thinking we just don't notice it as much because we aren't wearing dark sweaters, pants & robes. When I sweep the hardwood kitchen/dining the hair is unbelieveable. We love him to pieces but, wow!......

Not sure if what Toby is doing is excessive but for such a small puppy with not much hair he sure sheds a lot! I have dark blue blankets that cover the seats of my couches (just in case the humans drop food or dogs slobber, its easy to wash instead of couch) and I notice LOTS of Toby hair. My shirts have lots of Toby hair too. I guess I have to chalk it up to dogs shed LOL
Becky

We had a Shih Tzu for 16 years before we got our Cav, Sophie. Shih Tzus don't shed at all. Getting Sophie was culture shock.

Even though Sophie is brushed daily, she sheds all day long. During winter, when I live in dark color clothing, and I keep lint-rollers handy everywhere, including my car. In summer, I wear lighter color clothes, but yesterday I wore navy shorts and of course had Sophie on my lap while watching The (British) Open. Later, hubby and I went out to Five Guys for a quick burger and in the car, I noticed DOG HAIR ....all over my shorts. :yikes

Lint rollers and a good vacuum are important.

Lint rollers (everywhere), a Dyson vacuum with pet hair attachments, an electromagnetic broom and the Zoom Groom (by Kong) brush work wonders!!!!! But my husband always jokes we could make a coat out of the hair we pick up...and I vacuum 3 times a week!!!

Fish oils and a quick daily brush will help with the shedding. If you have time, try to vacuum the doggy traffic areas every day or every other day... one of those lint cloths attached to the end of a broom will help in a 5 minute fix. We have leather furniture and wooden floors, so Belle and Bob's hair just gathers in tumbleweeds that we can pick up if we see them roll across the floor, haha.

I was shocked by the amount of hair they shed as well, but I'm a neat freak and insist on fighting the dog hair war, so far I'm winning! :v*cuum:

Also, I vacuum my dogs, yes, I vacuum them once a week, I set my Miele Cat and Dog on the lowest setting, get the little brush attachment out and brush them with it, they LOVE it!!! No harm either.

Since we decided to start keeping Clancy in a very close clip (he hates being brushed, and spends a lot of time running around in the woods) and added salmon oil to his diet, the shedding is next to nothing! :cool:

So what age do they usually start shedding? Rose hardly sheds at all- is this going to change? She's 15 months.

If your cav isn't shedding at 15 months--then you're a lucky person! We acquired Bentley at 10 weeks; he's now 7 1/2 months. He was shedding big time in Feb when we got him and it's still happening!

Since we decided to start keeping Clancy in a very close clip (he hates being brushed, and spends a lot of time running around in the woods) and added salmon oil to his diet, the shedding is next to nothing! :cool:

Where did you get the salmon oil?? And how much do you put in their food.

Claire shed horrible when she was a pup, but has really been much better this Summer.....I'm hoping it lasts. She's 18 months now.

Mimi used to shed so much from when she was about 5 months until i got a ferminator and just use it every 2 weeks just to get rid of a lot of the lose hair and it has reduced quite a lot, there is still some there that can be expected but it could also be to do with the fact i dont over use the furminator.

Back