Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Decided on getting a new puppy!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Decided on getting a new puppy!

    I've been researching dogs and breeders for the last 5 months and I finally made a decision. I love Cavaliers sooo much so I looked into breeders here. In the end I just couldn't find one in my area that did all the health testing and that I felt comfotable with. I adore Piper but he's likelyhood of having Sm is high and it is heart breaking to me.
    So I decided to start looking at another breed I love which is the Cocker Spaniels. I found an American Cocker Spaniel breeder I was happy with and was on the wait list for next year litter. The only thing bothering me was that it was either a 8 hour drive to go get the puppy or she would have to be shipped. I really want to meet the parents before hand and have the breeder close enough to me to be able to see them when want or needed.

    So on went my search.

    Because I was also concerned about the health problems American Cocker`s can have I started looking at English Cockers. I found a breeder near me that does all the health testing and was very easy to talk to on the phone. So I have filled out her pupy questionnaire online and am now on the wait list for next year! I know it`s still a ways a way but Im so excited to be getting another puppy and friend for Piper and this time feel good in the fact that I`m doing in the right way with the right breeder!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    482
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Fun!! Cocker spaniels are nice dogs...I grew up with them, and brittanys. Funny though because my cavaliers are always mistaken for cockers.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,389
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What great news!! I LOVE cocker's so much and vision myself adding one to my troop in this lifetime

    Out of curiosity...what is the difference between an American Cocker and an English Cocker?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynMom View Post
    What great news!! I LOVE cocker's so much and vision myself adding one to my troop in this lifetime

    Out of curiosity...what is the difference between an American Cocker and an English Cocker?
    English is a little bigger with a longer face. They have never been as popular as American for some reason. The breeder says that they are also more lay back then the american..

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    190
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I love American Cocker Spaniels! Fell in love with them ever since I saw Oprah's cutie blonde Cocker, Sadie.



    Awww.
    Matilda
    Mummy to Lady (Blenheim Cavalier) and Lola (Silver Tabby British Shorthair)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    24,002
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default

    American cockers are also more 'extreme' in their looks -- very domed skull for example. I actually prefer the look of the English cocker. I think cockers are lovely dogs.

    I had a little cocker as a small child too. Inbreeding over time seems to have produced temperament problems -- this isn't a breed that is any longer generally recommended as a family dog by any of the dog trainers I know as they can be a bit snappy with kids and in rescue we see a lot handed in to pounds and rescues for that reason so a good breeder is really important. It's a shame as so many of us probably grew up around this breed which was a common family dog in the 50s and 60s because of its gentleness.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    24,002
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default

    Some pics from the IKC, though in the UK now, neither of these breeds looks like this anymore as it is illegal to dock breeds like cockers unless they are hunting lines. So they have a full tail -- they look gorgeous with a full tail to wag -- it is very much the same kind of lovely full tail as a cavalier.

    English cocker:



    American:



    From www.ikc.org

    You can see an English cocker with full tail here:

    http://www.animal-photography.com/image/AP-AGPBAX
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,389
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Huh...very interesting. Thanks for the info everyone. Do the American and the English cockers both have the temperament issue and can this be avoided by finding the right breeder...or is it pretty bread in by now?

    Sorry for all the questions...I am learning and I love cockers!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    Some pics from the IKC, though in the UK now, neither of these breeds looks like this anymore as it is illegal to dock breeds like cockers unless they are hunting lines. So they have a full tail -- they look gorgeous with a full tail to wag -- it is very much the same kind of lovely full tail as a cavalier.

    English cocker:



    American:



    From www.ikc.org

    You can see an English cocker with full tail here:

    http://www.animal-photography.com/image/AP-AGPBAX
    I guess the tail docking is not illegal in Canada because most people still do it seems.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    American cockers are also more 'extreme' in their looks -- very domed skull for example. I actually prefer the look of the English cocker. I think cockers are lovely dogs.

    I had a little cocker as a small child too. Inbreeding over time seems to have produced temperament problems -- this isn't a breed that is any longer generally recommended as a family dog by any of the dog trainers I know as they can be a bit snappy with kids and in rescue we see a lot handed in to pounds and rescues for that reason so a good breeder is really important. It's a shame as so many of us probably grew up around this breed which was a common family dog in the 50s and 60s because of its gentleness.
    Yes, that is exactly why I choose to go for the english cocker! The breeder that I'm getting one from also states that getting the best temperment and health is the most important to her with regards to breeding. Although her dogs are gorgeous as well and have won a bunch of titles.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •