Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decided on getting a new puppy!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Decided on getting a new puppy!

I've been researching dogs and breeders for the last 5 months and I finally made a decision. I love Cavaliers sooo much so I looked into breeders here. In the end I just couldn't find one in my area that did all the health testing and that I felt comfotable with. I adore Piper but he's likelyhood of having Sm is high and it is heart breaking to me.
    So I decided to start looking at another breed I love which is the Cocker Spaniels. I found an American Cocker Spaniel breeder I was happy with and was on the wait list for next year litter. The only thing bothering me was that it was either a 8 hour drive to go get the puppy or she would have to be shipped. I really want to meet the parents before hand and have the breeder close enough to me to be able to see them when want or needed.

So on went my search.

Because I was also concerned about the health problems American Cocker`s can have I started looking at English Cockers. I found a breeder near me that does all the health testing and was very easy to talk to on the phone. So I have filled out her pupy questionnaire online and am now on the wait list for next year! I know it`s still a ways a way but Im so excited to be getting another puppy and friend for Piper and this time feel good in the fact that I`m doing in the right way with the right breeder!

Post Thanks / Like

Fun!! Cocker spaniels are nice dogs...I grew up with them, and brittanys. Funny though because my cavaliers are always mistaken for cockers.

Post Thanks / Like

What great news!! I LOVE cocker's so much and vision myself adding one to my troop in this lifetime

Out of curiosity...what is the difference between an American Cocker and an English Cocker?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynMom View Post
    What great news!! I LOVE cocker's so much and vision myself adding one to my troop in this lifetime

Out of curiosity...what is the difference between an American Cocker and an English Cocker?
    English is a little bigger with a longer face. They have never been as popular as American for some reason. The breeder says that they are also more lay back then the american..

Post Thanks / Like

I love American Cocker Spaniels! Fell in love with them ever since I saw Oprah's cutie blonde Cocker, Sadie.

Awww.
    Matilda
    Mummy to Lady (Blenheim Cavalier) and Lola (Silver Tabby British Shorthair)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

American cockers are also more 'extreme' in their looks -- very domed skull for example. I actually prefer the look of the English cocker. I think cockers are lovely dogs.

I had a little cocker as a small child too. Inbreeding over time seems to have produced temperament problems -- this isn't a breed that is any longer generally recommended as a family dog by any of the dog trainers I know as they can be a bit snappy with kids and in rescue we see a lot handed in to pounds and rescues for that reason so a good breeder is really important. It's a shame as so many of us probably grew up around this breed which was a common family dog in the 50s and 60s because of its gentleness.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Some pics from the IKC, though in the UK now, neither of these breeds looks like this anymore as it is illegal to dock breeds like cockers unless they are hunting lines. So they have a full tail -- they look gorgeous with a full tail to wag -- it is very much the same kind of lovely full tail as a cavalier.

English cocker:

American:

From www.ikc.org

You can see an English cocker with full tail here:

http://www.animal-photography.com/image/AP-AGPBAX
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Huh...very interesting. Thanks for the info everyone. Do the American and the English cockers both have the temperament issue and can this be avoided by finding the right breeder...or is it pretty bread in by now?

Sorry for all the questions...I am learning and I love cockers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    Some pics from the IKC, though in the UK now, neither of these breeds looks like this anymore as it is illegal to dock breeds like cockers unless they are hunting lines. So they have a full tail -- they look gorgeous with a full tail to wag -- it is very much the same kind of lovely full tail as a cavalier.

English cocker:

American:

From www.ikc.org

You can see an English cocker with full tail here:

http://www.animal-photography.com/image/AP-AGPBAX
    I guess the tail docking is not illegal in Canada because most people still do it seems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    American cockers are also more 'extreme' in their looks -- very domed skull for example. I actually prefer the look of the English cocker. I think cockers are lovely dogs.

I had a little cocker as a small child too. Inbreeding over time seems to have produced temperament problems -- this isn't a breed that is any longer generally recommended as a family dog by any of the dog trainers I know as they can be a bit snappy with kids and in rescue we see a lot handed in to pounds and rescues for that reason so a good breeder is really important. It's a shame as so many of us probably grew up around this breed which was a common family dog in the 50s and 60s because of its gentleness.
    Yes, that is exactly why I choose to go for the english cocker! The breeder that I'm getting one from also states that getting the best temperment and health is the most important to her with regards to breeding. Although her dogs are gorgeous as well and have won a bunch of titles.