• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy pink skin & warm

gamefanz

So since I haven't had a puppy in almost 16 years I thought I would ask here.
When we first brought Toby home we didn't notice pink skin except for around his nose(although we were not looking for it either). Lately though we have noticed he has pink skin pretty much everywhere that I can see. He is also pretty warm. He does scratch and bite himself especially in the morning. First thing in the morning he goes out to the grass. I am wondering what grass allergies look like? We are currently changing over his dog food from Royal canin to Taste of the Wild. Taste of the wild is grain free. We are doing this slowly so he is on half and half. He hasn't had any shots in 2 weeks. He is due again on Aug 1 so we plan to have lots of questions to ask then.
Is the pink something that all puppies have? Is being warm something that is normal for 12 weeks?
Thank you
Becky

Normally a puppy wouldn't do a lot of biting and scratching every day. However puppies do tend to have pink skin, but it is hard to differentiate between what is normal or not at a distance :). I really doubt the scratching and biting are due to allergies -- it would be a very good idea to get him to a vet to be checked for more typical puppy possibilities such as flea dermatitis or rabbit mites, which will likely need a skin scrape. As pink skin and scratching can also indicate mange, you do really need and want a vet to check him over to identify just what is going on. (y)

Oliver is very pink and hot after his meals. I attribute it to his fast puppy metabolism. He's 19 weeks old now, and it's not nearly as noticeable as when he was littler.

I've started adding wild salmon oil to his kibble, and have noticed much less scratching since then.

Thank you. We are switching foods slowly right now so that may be part of it. We are trying new things. We bought a new crate pad yesterday thinking he may be having reactions to the other one. We also noticed that he is very pink and hot after running/play time in the backyard at night. After he comes in we calm him down for a few minutes then we go to bed. We notice that it doesn't go away quickly so we left the fan on all night oscillating and that seemed to help some. He is still a little pink this morning but not near as bad as yesterday. He is also not scratching as bad as yesterday morning.
I am thinking of picking up some salmon oil but will be waiting until he is completely on new food to make sure the stools are hard.
Becky

Back