• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sydney needs prayers

Sydneys Mom

Last night, about 10pm, Sydney started panting really heavy. It would come and go but just didn't seem right. We waited a few hours but by 2am we could see it got worse. He couldn't even manage to get up. We went to the emergency hospital. They have him in an oxygen tent. The ER doc said his lungs have fluid. His heart rate was down to 60! They are going to give him an injection of Lasix and IV fluids, xrays, ekg, blood work, etc. When we left last night (or should I say early early this morning), he was awake but I could see that his breathing was already better with the oxygen. I'm waiting now for them to call me to see how he did for the rest of the night.

We had already had a planned appointment with his cardiologist for later today (she works out of the same emergency hospital), so we know she will see him before we get there this afternoon. His abdoman is also bloated, so I'm sure they will do an abdominal tap for that.

I'm exhausted and scared and just want him to be OK.

Oh, I hate MVD. I don't have a dog with it (luckily) but I hate reading posts about dogs struggling with it. I know Sydney has been having a tough time recently. I hope you get some good news soon. At least he was breathing a little easier when you left. Saying prayers for you. Keep your hopes up.

So very sad to hear this but you did EXACTLY the right thing contacting the emergency vets - it's not fair to leave a dog struggling for breath.

It sounds like they were able to make him a lot more comfortable and I hope that the appt with the cardiologist was successful and has given you more information to work with. You are in our thoughts.

Poor Sydney:( I hope what is being done will help. Continuing thoughts going out to you and Sydney:hug:
Becky

I'm still a nervous wreck, BUT the good news is I just spoke with the ER. Sydney is stable, breathing normally and not panting, ate some food, has had fluids in and fluids out ;) and his heart rate is back to normal. We see the cardiologist in a few hours, and will know more then. Can't wait to see him.

Oh, I hate MVD

Me too!

Sydney is lucky to have you as his mum. Hugs to you all, paws crossed he is going to be ok. :hug:

I'm so sorry to hear about Sydney, I hope he's doing better today. Sending you both hugs and lots of prayers.

Sorry Joyce to read Sydney has been poorly.
Here's hoping for better news soon.

Thinking of you at this difficult time.:hug:

Nanette

Oh Joyce, what a night. I am so sorry....for you and Sydney. He is so lucky to have you as a mom and you are doing all the right things. If there is anything I can do for you at all, just say so. I will keep you in my prayers and send comfort and peace and healing to little Sydney :hug:

Update on sydney

The cardiologist is pleased with his progress. They've been weaning him off the oxygen and we can pick him up in an hour. They drained off the liquid in his abdomin and he seems to be responding nicely.:l*v: Can't wait to see him....the house is so empty when he's not around. I'll get further instructions when we pick him up. Thanks everyone.

Nicki is right, you did exactly the right thing in getting him right away to the vet's. :) One board member told me a while back that her cardiologist has said they can often recover if they can be put on oxygen; their heart then often remodels to accommodate whatever the new problem is, or time is gained in which fluid can be drained and more comfortable breathing restored. I'm so glad Sydney is heading home!

There are quite a few members in the yahoo canine congestive heart failure group that keep oxygen at home for emergencies. They either make coke bottle masks or prepare a crate that can serve as an oxygen cage. I've never felt the need to do that, although I briefly considered it for a Cavalier with lung cancer (metastatic, not primary). If I didn't have access to two 24 hour specialty hospitals each ten minutes away, that is something that I would consider if I had a dog with advanced heart or lung disease.

Pat

Sydney's home and sleeping now, and the first thing he wanted was food! He ate dinner then went potty then to sleep. Somethings never change.

There were some new abnormalities in his kidney panel and electrolites which are concerning. We are keeping an eye on him and will see the doctor next week when she will recheck his blood work and reevaluate his medications. She may lower some dosages or add potassium depending on the results.
Overall, considering the severity of his condition, I think he is doing well. When he was discharged tonight, everyone said how good he was all day and never gave anyone an ounce of trouble. He makes me proud. I love him.

I've only just seen this thread this morning. What a worrying time you have had :( Poor Sydney.

But the little fighter has bounced back thanks to the speed of your actions and the care of the hospital. So glad he is feeling better cl*p

Back