• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

CM, PSOM - should we continue using heartgard plus monthly?

pkt89

My Bee is diagnosed with CM without SM but he has PSOM and had his ears flushed.General vet told me to stop giving heartgard plus monthly due to Bee's condition and we are not in a risk area with Mosquitos.I hears that it is difficult to treat heart worm, prevention is best so I am not really sure if it is necessary to stop heartgard plus. Any advice?ThanksKitty

It is probably better to ask your neurologist this question, or have your vet talk to the neurologist -- I have never heard a recommendation to stop heartworm preventatives due to CM, SM or PSOM if the general advice is to give heartworm meds. I thought heartworm meds were advised pretty much anywhere in California?

Dittoing what Karlin said. Did he mean stop heartworm preventitives all together, or just the Heartguard Plus main ingredient? Our vet had us switch to Heartguard from another (name's escaping me at the moment) because Heartguard is supposed to also kill young heartworms, not just eggs, and our last dog had a couple of heartworms when we got her from the pound, but not enough to put her through the whole heartworm treatment with her heart condition. I hope the neurologist can give you some clarity.

PSOM, CM - heartgard plus, NAC usage

I called my neuro and she said there is no problem using heartgard plus with Bee's condition.Just FYI, I asked Dr. Cole from Ohio state university about NAC supplement for PSOM condition. She said there is no research done to see if it helps or not.Thanks for your help

Back