Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pedigree Dogs Exposed "Mark 2" - Should It Be made

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Pedigree Dogs Exposed "Mark 2" - Should It Be made

Hi

Thoughts please, are we agreed or not that Jemima Harrison should make a follow up programme .I note that there
    is now a Facebook group called " Stop The BBC Making Another Pde " that is attracting
    attention from some people and J.H. has referred to it http://pedigreedogsexposed.blogspot.com/
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know I'm in the minority here but I will say this.

I think I read Jemima comment on her blog that Cavaliers should not be bred. I can't find it. I know Dr. Hendricks spoke out about it which Rod has commented that the only reason is because of donations. Either way, I would much rather hear information from someone like Dr. Bell who specializes in genetics and I find his articles quite interesting and you can read some on the CKCSC USA website www.ckcsc.org. http://www.tualatinkc.org/pdf/Respon...%20Disease.pdf.

I don't agree with mixed breeds being healthier which is what I read in this article.

"[FONT=Times New Roman]There is a general misconception that mixed-breed dogs are inherently free of genetic disease.This may be true for rare, breed-related disorders; but the common genetic diseases that are seenacross all breeds are seen with the same frequency in mixed-breeds."

I like his mentality of reducing the stigma of genetic diseases which IMO Pedigree Dogs Exposed worked against. What did the film educate the public about? I like what he says to do which is to:

"[FONT=Times New Roman]
    How can we educate the public?Make them more informed consumers of dogs and puppiesAble to discern responsible breeders.Knowledgeable about genetic testingRecognize that price and quality should be linked (b/c of testing, medical care, etc)"

I think that does way more good.
    [/FONT][/FONT]
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would like to add, since SM is seen in other breeds than Cavaliers (which I'm not sure % since more studies done on Cavaliers) and also seen in cross breeds, I would not categorize it as specific to this breed alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Hi

Thoughts please, are we agreed or not that Jemima Harrison should make a follow up programme .I note that there
    is now a Facebook group called " Stop The BBC Making Another Pde " that is attracting
    attention from some people and J.H. has referred to it http://pedigreedogsexposed.blogspot.com/
    This is what I posted a few weeks back and underneath that is what Margaret C commented on. I am sure she won't mind me reposting this.

1. pedigree Dogs Exposed - The Sequel
    Just got my Dogs Today Magazine through the post yesterday.
    It has a two page write up about the Pedigree Dogs Exposed - The Sequel. Interesting reading. On one forum they said burn the witch.
    She says that there are many people that have welcomed the news of a sequel, this included dog friends, vets, researchers and some wonderful breeders who share her view that much still needs to be put right in the world of dogs. But there are many others – mostly breeders of show dogs – who feel the exact opposite; who continue to feel incredibly injured by Pedigree dogs exposed and who see her as the enemy. She says she understands that it must have been devastating for someone who has always considered themselves a good breeder to have some upstart who has never breed a dog in her life tell them that what they are doing is wrong. She says, but of course it wasn’t just me. Three independent reports on dog breeding followed PDE.
    The threat then to those that want to keep breeding dogs the way they‘ve always done, is a big one- and to those who either cannot or don’t want to see the bigger picture, the messenger becomes an easy target. There is a facebook group now called Stop the BBC making another PDE- open only to an invited membership. The front page has Jemimas picture with a line across her face, they have also posted a picture of her cameraman warning people to look out for them at shows and report them to stewards when spotted.
    She also mentions the complained by the KC and that Ofcom found no overall unfairness to the KC. Apparently it cost the KC 100,000. She says that whatever we include in PDE2 the plan is very definitely to not have to go through another complaints process. So what is going to be in PDE2? She is looking forward to telling the inside story of what happened after the film and the follow up will include some of the positive steps that have been taken by both the KC and individual breeders since 2008. The film is also likely to feature stories that illustrate that a lot more needs to change in the world of pedigree dogs.

I just wonder if the real truth will be told. I know things have changed but in my opinion there are still too many people/organisations that are dragging their heels or opting to stick their head into the sand.

If you have a view or a story you think should be in the new film email jem@pedigreedogsexposed.com
    I think it would be nice for Cavaliers Matter to be included to show the hard work that Tania and her helpers have done. Of course it is up to Tania.
    Last edited by Sabby; 14th July 2011 at 11:41 AM.

This is what Margaret C posted.

Originally Posted by Sabby
    Three independent reports on dog breeding followed PDE..

And found there were enormous welfare issues in the way that pedigree dogs were being bred

The threat then to those that want to keep breeding dogs the way they‘ve always done, is a big one- and to those who either cannot or don’t want to see the bigger picture, the messenger becomes an easy target. There is a facebook group now called Stop the BBC making another PDE- open only to an invited membership..

The messages on that group are unbelievable....... crude and yobbish comes to mind.

Also quite amusing sometimes. These intellectually challenged group members have convinced themselves that there were Holocaust pictures shown during the discussion on eugenics ( not true ) and have spent a lot of time trying to find an 'uncut' copy of PDE to prove it.
    They are in for a long search. There never were any such pictures.

She also mentions the complained by the KC and that Ofcom found no overall unfairness to the KC. Apparently it cost the KC 100,000. .
    They hired an enormously expensive firm of lawyers. What a waste of money.

The Cavalier Club also put in a complaint to Ofcom and that was dismissed in its entirety, including the statement that none of the other Cavalier Club committee members knew about the SM status of the BIS dog.
    That was such a blatant lie, and I was surprised that those that put the complaint together showed such a lack of integrity.

So what is going to be in PDE2? She is looking forward to telling the inside story of what happened after the film and the follow up will include some of the positive steps that have been taken by both the KC and individual breeders since 2008. The film is also likely to feature stories that illustrate that a lot more needs to change in the world of pedigree dogs.

I just wonder if the real truth will be told. I know things have changed but in my opinion there are still too many people/organisations that are dragging their heels or opting to stick their head into the sand.

There is bound to be a follow up on the Cavalier story to include the Special General Meeting.

I wonder how many positive steps in improving health the cavalier clubs can show in the last three years?
    The banning of yet another health representative from crucial meetings and the long drawn out delay in implementing the KC/BVA CMSM Scheme will take some explaining.

After all why would breeders object to their cavaliers' scan results being published unless they want to be able to continue to breed from cavaliers that are SM affected, scanned too young, or not scanned at all?
    If you have a view or a story you think should be in the new film email jem@pedigreedogsexposed.com
    I think it would be nice for Cavaliers Matter to be included to show the hard work that Tania and her helpers have done. Of course it is up to Tania.

It would be good to show what ordinary pet owners are able and willing to do for this breed
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hello Annie

Did you not align yourself as a "friend" of this group who do not wish Part Two to be made ,if so may I ask why .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Hello Annie

Did you not align yourself as a "friend" of this group who do not wish Part Two to be made ,if so may I ask why .
    In Facebook parlance, one does not align oneself as a "friend" of a group. One "joins" the group. Since the group in question is a "closed group", one must join the group to read what is being written within the group. Joining that group is not a statement of alignment; it is a statement of curiosity.
    Last edited by RodRussell; 22nd July 2011 at 11:28 PM.
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The problem is not with the Facebook group as it is with the petition: "Stop The BBC making another Pedigree Dogs Exposed Petition". Of course, this is a UK issue, since the BBC is a UK media outlet. But as an American, it does not cross my mind to think that a petition like this one is anything other than a complete waste of time, since over here, with the constitutionally constituted (alliteration and redundancy combined!) Freedoms of Speech and of the Press, the petitioners have no clout whatsoever in determining whether a PDE2 is presented or not.

That said, I find it VERY INTERESTING that at least one American has signed the petition. And not just ANY American, but one who holds the position of Chairman of the Board of the American Kennel Club. None other than the esteemed Ron Menaker. Here is what he wrote as he signed the petition:

"Responsible dog owners, the dog loving public and responsible dog breeders should not be subjected to another piece of sensationalist fiction and tabloid journalism masquerading as a documentary. Any investigation of dogs, breeding or health matters should be balanced and fair. If the BBC insists on repeating this exercise in media sensationalism, why not present the truth about the progress that has been made as a result of responsible dog breeding and scientific research projects funded by organizations that truly care about dogs. For the BBC's next installment, how about "Jemima Harrison Exposed" ?

Apparently Chairman Menaker has slipped from his handlers and lashed out without benefit of running his comments past the AKC's PR department. He will come to regret those comments, deeply.
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had to stop listening to a interesting interview online with Dr. Bell on petconnection I believe. I find what he says very interesting and constructive. Like I said we have got to be open about genetic conditions and both the facebook group and the pedigree dogs exposed blog, imo feels just like that.

I feel like it similar to what we have here of shows on puppy mill raids. It shows the negative of that but doesnt ask the question, "who is buying these puppies." If the view is to not breed cavaliers as I have read in comments and gossip, I don't know how I can see good? I would like to see working together and moving away from gossip.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When I hear about PDE here, I was told that the cavalier was off medication and they got him/her excited to make it look worse. I know what its like to have a cavalier with SM, but this is gossip. I have no idea if its true but it makes the focus away from the real issue. Also I don't think just because a cavalier is scanned and has SM it can not be shown. What if they have a great heart line? We need to ask these questions and move to constructive talk together. Just my opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm not for or against pde, I'm for cavalier health, responsible pet buying, responsible breeding and sometimes, honestly, I feel stuck. I don't know what things were like pre PDE, but now I just feel like the enemy which I shouldn't feel like especially if I support responsible breeders, research etc and would not buy a puppy from an irresponsible breeder. Why do I feel like people think I'm against their health if I ask questions? I think asking questions is the only way forward.