• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Which type/brand of food to make poop firm and easy to pick up

Chloeinalbany

Sorry if the title is a bit direct! Chloe's on Royal Canin kibble and her stool is most of the time firm-ish. Whenever we give her some can food also (Science Diet) she ended up with soft stool. Any suggestions which brand of kibble or what would be the best combination of food best for her and easier for us, i.e. to get her poop to be firm and easy to pick up with no or very little trace? Thanks. From Chloe too, she's looking at me with her usual look. Well, she'll get to go to the beach soon, for a picnic and a walk.
icon7.png

Peanut's poop was always soft until we found out he was allergic to chicken and beef. Now that we've eliminated them from his diet, we feed him blue buffalo basics salmon and potato. He has firm poop and he is doing great!

I have a silly question here. Why is RAW diet spelt that way, with capital letters? Is there a specific RAW brand, or is just any raw diet, but for some reasons spelt that way? Thanks. Or have I missed something here?

They were just emphasizing word "raw"

Raw dog food is one of the ways to get firm poop and also less of it. Gracie is on it because she ended up having allergies or intolerances to most kibble proteins and grains.We were advised to give raw food a try and now she can eat many meats raw that bothered her in kibble or canned food. She has firm poop consistently about half the quantity. She used to get runny poop fairly often but no more. We use a commercial brand...actually a couple of brands. We buy brands called Primal and Omma's Pride in USA for example. They are frozen medallions you thaw out and are complete balanced meals with veggies, fruit, oils, vitamins added. But most are grain-free since these are often allergens. Gracie loves the food, especially bison and rabbit. There are other brands in the UK. However, the commercial raw food can be a pricey option for some. In our case, it has been cheaper than treating her for diarrhea! Brian M makes his dogs a homemade raw diet which is a way to do this cheaper, but takes time to prepare and make sure it's balanced. Many can achieve the same thing with kibble if they find one that works well for their Cav, but we never had luck with that option. Like any transition, if you decide on new food, do it slowly over a couple of weeks.

Thank you for all the replies and suggestions. We will stop by at a shop closest to us tomorrow to see what the options are if we were to buy ready-made. Somebody recommended this before to us http://www.rawessentials.co.nz/ I shall let you know how it goes. I did look at Science Diet's can food ingredients earlier, and corn is listed third after water and chicken. Not very comforting isn't it.

hello i dont know if where u are there is james wellbellowed dry food.my tobi is doing great with it and olso i giving him bionic biotic.

Sounds like good options...

The raw brand you linked to looks very healthy....wide range of meats!! Many here from UK do well on James Beloved kibble too. We do not have that here

Hi

I am more than happy to give you a break down on what I feed just ask .As far as GraciesMom's comment that my home
made food works out cheaper than prepared raw ,be warned it a lot more expensive .I suppose I am a bit quirky or whatever
but as for meat everthing is the best human quality I can get with a minimal fat content ,I buy fresh lamb ribs and chops best
beef chunks ,sirloin steak ,fresh rabbit ,fresh sardine fillets,fresh whitebait ,goat yogurt ,cream cheese and many different sorts of fresh veggies and lots of fruit ,melon strawberry ,blue berry ,apple (no Pips ) banana and even sprouts and lots more so if you wanta complete breakdown just
ask me but I assure it is not cheap .I like it because I know exactly what they are having and it is the best I can get .
And I enjoy preparing it

Best Wishes

bri

Dang Brian!!! We want you to be our chef!

I love teasing you, but you really are just an amazing doggy dad!
HiI am more than happy to give you a break down on what I feed just ask .As far as GraciesMom's comment that my homemade food works out cheaper than prepared raw ,be warned it a lot more expensive .I suppose I am a bit quirky or whateverbut as for meat everthing is the best human quality I can get with a minimal fat content ,I buy fresh lamb ribs and chops bestbeef chunks ,sirloin steak ,fresh rabbit ,fresh sardine fillets,fresh whitebait ,goat yogurt ,cream cheese and many different sorts of fresh veggies and lots of fruit ,melon strawberry ,blue berry ,apple (no Pips ) banana and even sprouts and lots more so if you wanta complete breakdown justask me but I assure it is not cheap .I like it because I know exactly what they are having and it is the best I can get .And I enjoy preparing itBest Wishes bri

Bless you Brian!

I am sure your cavvies say big thanks to you every time they eat! Well, I just got back from the shop, and it was very comforting to see what they have. All in all, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to work out which is better - the raw diet or the stacks and stacks of mill-produced kibbles with maize being one of the major ingredients. At our local pet store, the only kibble food that looks good is Nutro. Surprisingly, Nutro is cheaper than Royal Canin or Hill's. Unfortunately the shop does not stock Orijen or Wellbeloved although you can buy them locally from other retailers. With the raw frozen diet, you end up spending more on almost negligible money + time on electricity having to store and thaw them. Price wise, my guesstimate is they are both similar (RAW vs the more expensive dry such as Canin or Hill's).

Once we finished the remaining of her dry food in a week or so, Chloe would be on this diet, at least that what we figure is best for her. Just a slight concern: As part of the diet, she'll have chicken frame and necks, and we wonder if she would drag those upstairs just to show off to the cat.

Huge 2nd to all the suggestions for raw. Polly is on it (I buy the pre-made kind like Primal and Bravo) and she does great on it! Nice firm poops 1x a day

Huge 2nd to all the suggestions for raw. Polly is on it (I buy the pre-made kind like Primal and Bravo) and she does great on it! Nice firm poops 1x a day

hello Erin - amazing! Getting Chloe to poop only once a day would be great too, now I start to wonder if that once a day poop can be timed to be during her evening walk! Currently she does twice, sometimes three times a day, and coincides nicely during her morning and afternoon walkies.

Back