Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you give your dog pills?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you give your dog pills?

Sydney has always been really good about taking pills. I use to wrap it in a small amount of cheese. But as he started taking more and more pills, he started resisting and just eating the cheese and spitting out the pill. Then I started wrapping in roast beef. That worked for a while.....now I'm using a small amount of peanut butter. Between his heart meds, thyroid pill, antibiotic and supplements (some of these pills are large and I have to cut them in half) I give him about 14 pills twice a day! I hate forcing him but sometimes I have no choice.

So, I guess my question is, what do your wrap the pills in? I'm running out of ideas.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like

I buy the thin hot dogs, you can then cut a little piece off and wedge the pill in the middle of it.
    Worth a try, it workd for Leo
    Mel
    Momma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I add just the tiniest bit of butter so it tastes good and is slippery so it's hard to spit out. I've used cream cheese in the past.

My brother has trained his dog to catch treats and then he works on getting them to swallow quickly to be ready for the next one, put the pills inside hot dog bits or something so they won't fly out in the air and are easy to swallow. His dog is big (100 lbs) I'm not sure it would be as easy to do with a cavalier, or the number of pills you give.

Post Thanks / Like

I failed to mention, I'm also trying to keep it low calorie and low salt. I tried banana this morning. That got pretty messy.

I buy the thin hot dogs, you can then cut a little piece off and wedge the pill in the middle of it.
    I'll look for low sodium hot dogs.

I add just the tiniest bit of butter so it tastes good and is slippery so it's hard to spit out. I've used cream cheese in the past.

My brother has trained his dog to catch treats and then he works on getting them to swallow quickly to be ready for the next one, put the pills inside hot dog bits or something so they won't fly out in the air and are easy to swallow. His dog is big (100 lbs) I'm not sure it would be as easy to do with a cavalier, or the number of pills you give.
    Cream cheese might work. As for Sydney trying to catch his treat, he won't even pick it up if it drops in front of him, he has me trained to pick it up for him!

Sydney (

Post Thanks / Like

I'm lucky with Pippin, he's so greedy that as long as he has to work for it (sit, down, heelwork etc.) he thinks its a treat and takes any tablet without it even touching the sides!

Maddie sniffs everything first and can work any size tablet out of anything yummy and spit it out, so I'm afraid I just open her mouth, place the pill to the back of her tongue, then gently hold her mouth closed while stroking her throat until she swallows. She has been known to still avoid swallowing it, but this is the method that works best for her, and though she doesn't like it she calmly lets me do it.

Post Thanks / Like

We used to give our Pekes heart meds in pill pockets.
    http://www.greenies.com/en_US/produc...llpockets.aspx

Post Thanks / Like

I also use the pill pockets for 3 of my dogs who take daily medications, but then again I have greedy little buggers when it comes to anything they can get into their mouths.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried the pill pockets and he does like them, but they're not low in calories and by the end of the day, he ends up with over 200 extra calories a day! I'm really trying hard to keep his weight down. I've stuffed some of his smaller pills inside green beans, but he learned that trick too! Somehow, no matter how well I wrap his pills, he always knows they're in there and turns his nose up.

Maddie sniffs everything first and can work any size tablet out of anything yummy and spit it out, so I'm afraid I just open her mouth, place the pill to the back of her tongue, then gently hold her mouth closed while stroking her throat until she swallows.
    When all else fails, that's what I do too. I would rather he just enjoy the little packet and think of it as a treat.

Sydney (

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the pill pockets by Greenies too. They are a little expensive in my opinion so I usually buy the capsule ones (they are larger ) and break them in 1/2. For the smaller pills I even break the pockets up in 1/3s. Also works with the tablet pill pockets but they are smaller so I can only get 1 or 2 pills down "per pocket".

You can break up the pockets or smoosh them back together to fit the size of your pill. Then I just hide the pill in the middle. Helps the pill pockets go a little farther when you are giving lots of pills!

All of mine LOVE them! They are convinced they are treats and they usually go right down. Occasionally they try to chew them but I have never had a pill come out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If the dog won't eat the pills along with its food, we offer them with a dab of peanut butter or almond butter or cream cheese or spray cheese. We usually open capsules and dump the powder into the food.
    Rod Russell