Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you give your dog pills?

Post Thanks / Like

I use the spray cheese (Easy Cheese) also, but it's not low-cal-- though you only need a small amount. I've also used the spreadable cheese in a jar that is orange and pink.
    Holly, Oliver, Rosalita, and Scarlett

Post Thanks / Like

When Capers had heart failure and kidney failure, I had to keep a low sodium, low phosphorus, low fat diet for him so cheese, deli meat, etc was all out. I used raw honey to coat his pills and he took them quite eagerly even when his appetite was off.

Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't thought about using honey....I've got lots of good suggestions here. I'm going to have to spend some time in the supermarket looking a labels and maybe changing things up for him every few days so he doesn't get bored.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Luckily, Clancy is a shark when it comes to pills. He gulps his morning zonisamide down with his breakfast (a bit of canned food and hot water mixed in his kibble). His KBr is a liquid, which I put on his evening meal. He takes his night time zonisamide wrapped in a small bit of lunch meat.
    ~Denise and Clancy, Dillon (gone to The Bridge), and baby Oliver

Post Thanks / Like

I have the best luck with low fat cream cheese. Sticky and lower in salt and cals, they just lick it off my fingers. Pill crushers are at the pharmacy, you could mix with lowfat yogurt and add to food. Good luck.
    Suzanne mom to Chelsea(ruby girl), Vivian (tri girl),Kara(rescue kitty), Tyson and Candy(Tonk kittys at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

When i was giving mimi her antibiotics after her surgery i put it in the tiniest piece of chicken and as she cant resist it she never realised what we were doing (or she did and just thought well at least im getting chicken lol) so she would sit there when we got up in the morning by the refridgerator waiting for her 'chicken' and the same when i got back from work. Always worth a try with most things, especially if there are so many pills, good luck.
    Your baby is still your baby no matter what species

Post Thanks / Like

I have good success with pill pockets, cream cheese, peanut butter, cheese, meat, etc. Whats funny is I have also gotten Coco to take a pill for me by dropping it on the floor, telling her to wait, then OK! She assumes it is a treat and doesn't bother to sniff it and swallows it whole hah!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, this week I tried cream cheese, roast beef, chicken, peanut butter, pill pockets, soft bread........and the winner is LIVERWURST with cream cheese a close second! He actually chases me around the kitchen when I take the liverwurst out and I only need a small amount on each pill.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart