• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Scared blondie has lhyme disease

Blondiemonster

I found a massive deertick on the side of her cheek two days ago. Yesterday she started limping. Limping is worse today. Side of her face where tick was is a bit swollen and seems painful and blondie seems a bit out of it (almost like a ragdoll a bit and doesnt want to jump) and has a hard time getting up . Off to the vet asap. ( at 12 40) Any tips welcome.

This does sound scary sorry - you are doing the right thing getting her to the vets as soon as possible so that they can test and if necessary start treatment.

Ticks do carry some nasty diseases, usually it takes 24-48 hours for them to transmit the disease, did you remove the tick straight away?

I actually had a very tiny tick on my chest this morning that we had to remove - UGH!!

I did nicky. I removed it 2 days ago but think it must ve been there hiding for a while. The limping seems to be typical of lhyme?? but i also read online that when treated early enough antibiotics should help pretty fast? I have no experience with this disease. I hate ticks. Im sorry u found one i had one in my hair a few weeks ago. Ew.

Oh no that sounds horrible. It's good you're going to the vet today. Keep us informed. Will be thinking of you.

Oh poor thing, I hope she's okay. I found a large tick on the sofa last week, it was large and had obviously been feeding, and then dropped off. I think it must have came off the cat though, as the dogs get a once over for them as we have a lot of trouble with picking them up on walks.

I actually had a very tiny tick on my chest this morning that we had to remove - UGH!!

Uggh! I had to take one off my Hubby's back last year, it wasn't pleasant at all :(

Good luck - you are correct about the antibiotics and doing exactly the right thing taking veterinary advice

Ok. So she is in getting bloodtests now. (liver and kidney funcion) However, they cannot do the tick test until 3 weeks after exposure. They r sending her home with a nsaid for the limping and they offered the antibiotics for lhyme but said in their opinion they thought i should wait until they can do the test and she tests positive.... They said she will most likely get better even if it is lhymes without anti biotics and them relapse again. The course of antibiotics seems intense : one month so o decided to wait. Also: they found another ear infection. Joy. As of the psom isnt enough!!!

Two summers ago my sister's dog tested positive for Lyme's - she was limping. After a course of antibiotics she was absolutely fine and has been ever since. They never found a tick on her so the limping came as a complete surprise. Lucky that the vet tested for Lyme's rather than just assume it was a pulled muscle. Hope Blondie is o.k.

I am so sorry to hear this! How is she doing? I have been thinking about her (and you!) all day.

Do you have paralysis ticks in NY? We have them in Australia and that is the signs of them...though from memory, I don't think that NY has them at all so this shouldn't be it. They are awful little things, I know a few dogs in Sydney that got bit by them. I hate ticks!! They are so gross. I can't decide which I hate worse, fleas or ticks....both so yuck!

I am sure she is getting showered with love, and Brooky and I send hugs to you guys!

I am so sorry to hear this! How is she doing? I have been thinking about her (and you!) all day.

Do you have paralysis ticks in NY? We have them in Australia and that is the signs of them...though from memory, I don't think that NY has them at all so this shouldn't be it. They are awful little things, I know a few dogs in Sydney that got bit by them. I hate ticks!! They are so gross. I can't decide which I hate worse, fleas or ticks....both so yuck!

I am sure she is getting showered with love, and Brooky and I send hugs to you guys!

She is doing ok! We are going back in two weeks for the SnAP test as they call it. Not sure about paralusis tick nut ewwwwwwww ! :) those sound groce... Hows brooky?

Hey Lynn! So I just posted a "tick" thread, and it made me think of Blondie and her scare with the tick. How is that going? Did they test for the Lhyme Disease yet?

I'm sorry I never saw this thread. I am wondering what the news on Blondie is? I don't think NY had the paralysis tick either. But wait, don't you live in the city? I think you did say you were on vacation recently, so that might explain the tick.They are horrid little creatures. On occasion we would find them on my other dog (Claires brother). Problem with him is he had soooo much fur they were really hard to find. I'll be praying that Blondie doesn't have Lyme, it's not fun, but caught early you get good results. Our Vet said that we haven't had a case of Lyme in my county. But many cases up northern Michigan. She said if we thought we were going to be spending a lot of time up there, we might want to consider the Lyme vaccination.

I'm sorry I never saw this thread. I am wondering what the news on Blondie is? I don't think NY had the paralysis tick either. But wait, don't you live in the city? I think you did say you were on vacation recently, so that might explain the tick.They are horrid little creatures. On occasion we would find them on my other dog (Claires brother). Problem with him is he had soooo much fur they were really hard to find. I'll be praying that Blondie doesn't have Lyme, it's not fun, but caught early you get good results. Our Vet said that we haven't had a case of Lyme in my county. But many cases up northern Michigan. She said if we thought we were going to be spending a lot of time up there, we might want to consider the Lyme vaccination.

She picked it up on vacation indeed.. We are goin next week for the snap test . It takes 3 weeks for the lhyme to show up in the blood.. Im keeping my fingers crossed... They r disgusting creatures!!!! Just awful...

I hear you! Ticks fall in the same category as cockroaches in my opinion!! Oh, and fleas are there too....yuck. I do know that all creatures have a purpose on this earth, but really...what is their purpose!!

Hope all goes well with Blondie, keep us updated. Is she still limping around?

That's terrible! I'm guessing that it acts different in dogs than it does in humans.. I have been living with chronic lymes disease for 20 years. They did not test me until 12 years after because I do not remember being bitten. It should be ok even if it does come back positive because you got it so fast!

Oh goodness, 20 years. Do you suffer with anything because of the bite? I have heard many say they didn't know they got bit.

Oh ya, my health has been terrible ever since. I been on long term antibiotics for a few years now but my recent surgery made everything worse again and it felt like I was starting back at square one. I've also been to a nutritionist recently and am changing my diet to help my body heal and fight what it needs to.

Back