Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: University of Florida Low Cost MRI-- 2 thumbs up!

Post Thanks / Like

Default University of Florida Low Cost MRI-- 2 thumbs up!

For those of you in the Southeastern US, Dr. Schubert at UF offers a low-cost MRI scan. I had one of my Cavaliers scanned yesterday (bad news... which I was prepared for and expecting) for $735.00. This included bloodwork, the scan, a consult, and a CD of the images. I was highly impressed from the second I started corresponding with the clinic to make the appointment until the moment we left the facility. Dr. Schubert and his staff were wonderful. In all, it took about 3 hours, which I thought was quick-- I didn't feel rushed at all with the staff, though. There were neuro students in there, as well, so his explanation was very thorough. Apparently, he doesn't always recommend the surgery (titanium mesh) but he did with us. I am leaning towards medical management for a variety of reasons, but still have more research to do.

Just wanted to let you know that this is available much cheaper than most places in the US and it was an impressive experience. Here in Atlanta, this would have cost me around $2,000+.

Rod has the info on his website... www.cavalierhealth.com, or if you contact me I am happy to give you the contact info.

I must say... though I was prepared for this diagnosis and have researched this for quite a long time, it was still very sad and overwhelming to get a definitive SM diagnosis. I am very sorry for people who are newly going through this and have never even heard of the disease. I can't imagine how overwhelming it is for them.
    Last edited by Holly; 27th July 2011 at 12:23 AM.
    Holly, Oliver, Rosalita, and Scarlett

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am so sorry holly about scarlett I know you were somewhat prepared but nothing can prepare you when you get results. Now at least you have a better picture of what's going on.

Was that for a full body mri?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you for posting this, I am so sorry to hear that you had bad news.

I wish there were more people like you around, willing to share information and results.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like

Margaret-- I think it's important that people know this is a lower-cost option and available to them if they're in the area as MRI's in the US are SO expensive and if you don't have pet insurance that is a big expense to someone who may have a suffering dog.

Anne-- do you know that I should know the answer to your question and I am embarrassed to say that I am not sure if it was full-body or mini. I think it was just her head to the middle of her back, which I am assuming is a mini-scan? Here is the info from Rod's site:

4GAINESVILLE, FL: Dr. Thomas A. Schubert, board certified veterinary neurologist and Chief of Neurology Service at the University of Florida's College of Veterinary Medicine, offers cavaliers an MRI Package for $650 to $750 per dog. This includes a full physical and neurological exam, general anesthesia and recovery, the MRI, consultation about the findings from the MRI, and a copy of the MRI to take home. Owners that would like to bring more than 3 dogs may be eligible for a discount on the exam fee. However, this must be discussed before you come for your appointment or you will not be given a discount. If your CKCS, has a history consistent with possible PSOM and the MRI confirms this diagnosis, then treatment can be performed during anesthesia for this MRI with the school's Dermatology Service for the additional cost of $350 to $500. This option must be discussed and arranged prior to appointment day. The conditions for this low fee are: (a) the owner brings a current blood test report (no more than two weeks old); (b) there are no complicating health issues, such as heart problems; and (c) the owner also pays a $200.00 visit charge with the Neurology Service, which covers an evaluation before the scan and a follow-up conference to discuss the findings, treatment options, etc. Contact Dr. Schubert's technician, Amy Reynolds, email Reynoldsa@ufl.edu

Dr. Schubert's tech Amy was WONDERFUL to work with. She even worked with me over the weekend to set up to have the dermatologist available in case she needed a deep ear flush if they found PSOM-- which they did not.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry to hear this news I am glad that you have been getting the info you need and the support too.
    I wish there was a program here in WA that was cheaper. I think more people would do an MRI here if it was cheaper.
    Becky

Post Thanks / Like

What was very enlightening and shocking for me was to look at side by side views of the Sag T2 view of Tucker and of Scarlett. The differences between the two images were quite sobering and dramatic. Even someone not familiar with looking at MRI images can clearly see the differences and can understand the seriousness of this disease.

Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gamefanz View Post
    I'm so sorry to hear this news I am glad that you have been getting the info you need and the support too.
    I wish there was a program here in WA that was cheaper. I think more people would do an MRI here if it was cheaper.
    Becky
    Thank you. I'm ok... as someone (Pat ) reminded me last night... she is still the same dog she was before I knew her diagnosis for sure. We have been treating this for quite a while under the guidance of a neurologist-- I just didn't do the MRI until yesterday bc of the cost. Her meds really control her symptoms so that is good news.

I believe it was one person who approached UF about this low cost clinic and got the ball rolling. Try finding a University Vet school near you and talk with them... you never know...

Post Thanks / Like

Pat-- is it considered a mini-scan?? Ashamed to say that I don't know... That's probably important for people to know in case the syrinx is down at the end of the spinal cord.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    ... I believe it was one person who approached UF about this low cost clinic and got the ball rolling.
    Dr. Schubert spoke at the ACKCSC national show in Orlando last year, was treated very respectfully by all in attendence, and told us about his mini-scan deal, plus his use of LactoSorb SE mesh -- a biodegradable polymer mesh designed to resorb by hydrolysis within a year -- instead of titanium mesh.

Holly, did he mention this alternative mesh to titanium?
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Pat-- is it considered a mini-scan?? Ashamed to say that I don't know... That's probably important for people to know in case the syrinx is down at the end of the spinal cord.
    I believe the low cost scan is a mini-scan. The mini-scan is supposed to work because the theory is that if there is a syrinx lower down, there also will be one higher up. I don't think anyone has found a low syrinx without a higher one, too.
    Rod Russell