• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Can a 14 week old puppy already have SM

anniemac

I went to have a neurological consultation. The results were I'm just crazy :) just kidding. The neurologist said he had a 14 week old puppy last week with symptoms but there is nothing they can do now. I can't imagine an mri on a 14 week old puppy? He said there is nothing they can do now. I was there to talk about cm/sm but just wondered if that has been seen before?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I think that it has been seen. Reptigirl was seeing symptoms around 12 weeks in her dog (correct me if I'm wrong). And I believe it's been mentioned that Dr Rusbridge has seen some.

My Spangle was showing symptoms from very early, we got her at 10 weeks and it wasn`t long before she was yelping when being picked up and violently kicking her back leg.:(

I remember seeing videos long time ago...

Of a young puppy with it. I do think Gracie showed some signs when we got her at 5 months. I just did not know what we were dealing with. The breeder certainly should have recognized it in her.... and I won't say anymore on that. I get tooooo angry.

So the Dr said the puppy cannot be MRI'd because its too young? When would be the best age to do it if you suspect the pup has it? Is there anything the Dr. can do to help this pup right now?
Becky

Soushiruiuma is correct. Flash came to me at 12 weeks having strong & obvious scratching symptoms. I've always wondered WHEN his symptoms really started. I wonder if he could have been in pain from the moment he was born :confused:

We only waited to do the MRI at 6 months old because of lack of knowledge about the condition and vets thinking he was fine. Our neurologist had no problem doing an MRI at 6 months old.

Maybe the neurologist you talked to wants to give the skull more time to grow and develop? But why would they do "nothing" for a puppy in pain?

I didn't get details or even if he did an MRI. He could have meant surgery

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Sadly yes have heard of young puppies already showing symptoms - I believe that there was some research done scanning litters of puppies up to 12 weeks of age, and several of those were already severely affected :(

I know of one puppy who died at 12 weeks due to SM.

Sadly the earlier they show symptoms, the more severely affected they are likely to be :(

I suspect in this case they meant that there was little they could offer in terms of surgery or long term medical management, it tends to be a very poor prognosis

I know of one puppy who died at 12 weeks due to SM.

Sadly the earlier they show symptoms, the more severely affected they are likely to be :(

This just make me so sad, poor baby.
I applaud the breeders who are doing so much to help the breed.
But so wish the others would join the crusade.

Nanette

'there is nothing they can do now' I would think that this referred to surgery, which cannot be done until the skull has stopped growing at around 12-18 months. If done earlier, the scar etc would simply pull apart as the skull expanded. Once the skull has stabilised, youth would be on the side of the dog as a subject for surgery - but by that time, of course, a lot of damage could have been done that would be irreversible. The foetal tissue research project has shown that almost all the very young (stillborn or neonatal) puppies examined already had CM, so logically all of them could potentially have developed SM sooner as well as later.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

A friend of mine was forced to let her puppy go last year at 7 months due to SM she has said that from 12 weeks she was lethargic and painful.
Never a normal bouncy puppy, as others have said the earlier the symptoms arrive normally means the more severe the disease.

Back