Thread: Joining the ranks with Raw

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Joining the ranks with Raw

Well we are biting the bullet and starting the Raw food. We tried the Taste of
    the wild but Toby still has gas and stinky poo. He loved the food though and was
    excited to eat his meals. I figured we have tried most of the top brands of dog food
    while we had our Pekingese but not the Raw so why not give it a try with a new dog.
    I've always been the kind of person people hate in the dog food store because I am always
    searching for new and better food. I spent a long time in the store yesterday trying to make
    up my mind.
    I bought Instinct Raw Rabbit:
    http://www.naturesvariety.com/InstinctRaw/dog/rabbit
    They said it would be easier on the stomach to get used to. We are starting out
    slow to switch over. He had a bite of it last night. He ate it right up then
    continued on eating his kibble. I hope to have him completely on it by next
    week.
    We will be searching for knuckle bones this weekend. We have a femur but they
    said its harder than the knuckle bone.
    I am trying not to think of what all is in this food and bones. Its really
    gross when you are not one that tries things. My dad would be so ashamed of his
    daughter LOL Just talking about it in the store, I kept saying ewwwwwww!
    I need to ask our vet about giving salmon oil in the food before we do it but I do
    want to add that in.
    Anyway, I really hope he does better on this stuff. I just want a happy dog
    with no stinkies!
    Becky
    Last edited by gamefanz; 29th July 2011 at 01:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I might suggest is that you add a good multi-vitamin supplement along with a good Omegas supplement that includes Omega-3. Sophie had a lot of UTIs as a puppy on raw, until we added the vitamins. Might the be vit. B in her supplement, we don't know, but something is working, as she hasn't had a UTI since adding the supplement.

Just in case your dog has any problems with the Nature's Variety, which appears to have quite a lot of ingredients, we feed our Sophie a pre-mixed raw diet from Oma's Pride http://www.omaspride.com/index.php that has worked very well. Sophie scratches too much from any kibble or frozen raw mix with potatoes (white or sweet) in it, as well as grains in them, or raw mixes that have too many ingredients for me to figure out just what she's allergic to. This one works for us so far, and keeping our fingers crossed.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Should be an improvement for you...

It was for us but not all dogs the same. I do give Gracie some fish oil or flax oil with hers. Has helped keep things moving along!! He he!! Opposite of what used to happen! Have not had the UTI problem but gonna keep eye on that.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been feeding raw for several years now and it's been great! I had tummy issues with Jake for years before trying raw and we are hooked. I also give an oil supplement. Silly....there's nothing gross in there I love that when I read the ingredients on the bag....I know what all of the words are and can prounounce them
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly I just walked out of the vet and she said NO Raw until 9 months! She said
    because of the salmonella and young dogs. She also said NO raw bones.
    I have to go with her on this because she is our vet. I would think that if
    something were to happen she would say I told you so.
    She is a very nice lady who took care of us and our Peke when we were at our
    very worst.
    I don't know where to turn now for food. I guess go to Natural Balance which is
    what we had our Peke on.
    I know this is not good for Toby and the next food we buy we will be sticking
    with for a LONG time.
    I know this goes against most of what all of you do, and I am the dog owner but
    I have to work closely with the vet and to do something that she said is not
    good until 9 months may put a strain on our visits.
    I guess I should have waited until after our appointment today to make the
    choice of food. Good thing is Toby has only had a few bites of the Raw so he
    will gladly go back to kibble. I guess we can throw in wet food even though I
    don't want to.
    Becky

Post Thanks / Like

Every vet is different... my vet says NO to anything other then bagged dog food. She even said feeding COOKED hamburger was bad and Raw eggs were a MAJOR No No to her... but my dogs eat raw eggs, cooked eggs, raw meat, cooked meat, a lots of other things my vet says NO to. Each and EVERY vet I have talked to seems to have a different opinion on what to feed and what not to feed.
    Flash Blitz Holly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gamefanz View Post
    Sadly I just walked out of the vet and she said NO Raw until 9 months! She said because of the salmonella and young dogs.
    My vet does not act thrilled about our dog being fed raw, but they also sell a special diets line of some major national brand; it is nothing a normal dog could eat anyway. There is an article on their bulletin board in the waiting room, published by the same brand they sell, warning of the salmonella dangers, etc. Who knows what kind of perks the kibble rep might give them, like pharma reps give doctors... maybe nothing, but it makes me wonder.

Sophie's breeder had her litter on raw when I bought Sophie at 15 weeks of age. I assume they were weaned to raw. I have read on raw feeding internet groups that a dog is less likely to get salmonella because their intestines are far shorter than humans', so the bacteria has less chance to develop and flourish. I've also read that a meat would have to be badly contaminated before it causes problems with a dog. I'm no expert, but it makes sense to me. I was quite leery and freaked out at first, over the idea of feeding a dog raw meat. Once I did my research, I felt much better about it. The brand I feed Sophie has not had a recall yet and I don't give it much thought. Dogs eat much worse stuff they find outdoors and in the dirt.

Soushiruiuma's suggestion of cooking the raw you have is a great idea and may be the best of both worlds right now. Lots of people cook for their dogs. Large batches frozen into smaller portions or those plastic ice cube trays may be the ticket.

At the end of the day, you'll have to decide what is best for you and your dog. Many dogs thrive on kibble (all our previous dogs did) while others find relief on raw (like our current dog) or home cooked . It's all good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

In the meantime you can cook the raw food you did buy, and mix it in with his kibble. Baked or pan fried is fine, it will not ruin the nutritional value of the food.

Storing in a frost-free freezer long term is not a good idea, there are slight temperature variations (to keep frost from building up), and it will degrade the quality of the food. So I would finish off what you have, and see how you feel in a few months.

Post Thanks / Like

We returned it last night before dinner so we could get more Taste of the wild. Thank goodness they are a great store who will take this stuff back. We bought knuckle bones a few hrs before the vet appointment at another store and they refused the take those back even with a receipt. We won't be going there again! I hope our neighbor is willing to try them for their Akita because if not we will have to trash them.
    Becky

Quote Originally Posted by Soushiruiuma View Post
    In the meantime you can cook the raw food you did buy, and mix it in with his kibble. Baked or pan fried is fine, it will not ruin the nutritional value of the food.

Storing in a frost-free freezer long term is not a good idea, there are slight temperature variations (to keep frost from building up), and it will degrade the quality of the food. So I would finish off what you have, and see how you feel in a few months.