Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joining the ranks with Raw

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad that my vet is not crossing this off the list completely just not until he is 9 months, so she must be ok with the Raw just not as a puppy. We have agreed to keep him on the taste of the wild for awhile to see if anything changes and then we will re-visit this subject again later. We do have a sample of Honest kitchen and if we cannot work out Taste of the Wild I might ask the vet about this option.
    If he was older I don't think I would have any hesitation on changing his food even though the vet may not like it but I guess with him being a puppy I am unsure.
    Thank you all for the advice and support on this subject, I'm sorry it didn't pan out but I have learned a lot from all the reading on Raw and I don't think I am as scared as I was before about RAW in general.
    Becky

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

In the meantime you can cook the raw food you did buy, and mix it in with his kibble. Baked or pan fried is fine, it will not ruin the nutritional value of the food.

Storing in a frost-free freezer long term is not a good idea, there are slight temperature variations (to keep frost from building up), and it will degrade the quality of the food. So I would finish off what you have, and see how you feel in a few months.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gamefanz View Post
    Sadly I just walked out of the vet and she said NO Raw until 9 months! She said because of the salmonella and young dogs.
    My vet does not act thrilled about our dog being fed raw, but they also sell a special diets line of some major national brand; it is nothing a normal dog could eat anyway. There is an article on their bulletin board in the waiting room, published by the same brand they sell, warning of the salmonella dangers, etc. Who knows what kind of perks the kibble rep might give them, like pharma reps give doctors... maybe nothing, but it makes me wonder.

Sophie's breeder had her litter on raw when I bought Sophie at 15 weeks of age. I assume they were weaned to raw. I have read on raw feeding internet groups that a dog is less likely to get salmonella because their intestines are far shorter than humans', so the bacteria has less chance to develop and flourish. I've also read that a meat would have to be badly contaminated before it causes problems with a dog. I'm no expert, but it makes sense to me. I was quite leery and freaked out at first, over the idea of feeding a dog raw meat. Once I did my research, I felt much better about it. The brand I feed Sophie has not had a recall yet and I don't give it much thought. Dogs eat much worse stuff they find outdoors and in the dirt.

Soushiruiuma's suggestion of cooking the raw you have is a great idea and may be the best of both worlds right now. Lots of people cook for their dogs. Large batches frozen into smaller portions or those plastic ice cube trays may be the ticket.

At the end of the day, you'll have to decide what is best for you and your dog. Many dogs thrive on kibble (all our previous dogs did) while others find relief on raw (like our current dog) or home cooked . It's all good.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all. We started feeding Chloe raw diet this morning (+ a bit last night). She is absolutely loving it, and its not hard to guess why since what we bought for her are all real, non-processed stuff from Raw Essentials. They look very much like any other meat we have in the fridge/freezer, though better as they are all organic! In fact she is now licking her empty bowl as I type this. Good stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

We returned it last night before dinner so we could get more Taste of the wild. Thank goodness they are a great store who will take this stuff back. We bought knuckle bones a few hrs before the vet appointment at another store and they refused the take those back even with a receipt. We won't be going there again! I hope our neighbor is willing to try them for their Akita because if not we will have to trash them.
    Becky

Quote Originally Posted by Soushiruiuma View Post
    In the meantime you can cook the raw food you did buy, and mix it in with his kibble. Baked or pan fried is fine, it will not ruin the nutritional value of the food.

Storing in a frost-free freezer long term is not a good idea, there are slight temperature variations (to keep frost from building up), and it will degrade the quality of the food. So I would finish off what you have, and see how you feel in a few months.