• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sudden destructive behavior!

Reptigirl

Okay I'm baffled!!! Flash has never been a "big chewer". Even as a puppy... They all have dozens of chew toys & stuffed animals laying around.... Flash has always been a little angel in the house... Then this...

Started about 3 days ago... In 3 days time Flash has shredded EVERY toy in the house (Balls, fleece rope bones, vinyl toys, stuffed toys...everything)...Most of it happens at night while I'm sleeping but a few have happened while I was awake... I've been waking up to the house looking like it snowed from stuffing and Flash with the remains of the toy in his mouth...He even destroyed the toys he has NEVER had any interests in. This afternoon I was outside for no more then 5 minutes (It's too hot outside for the cavaliers so they stay inside during the day.) I came inside to Flash destroying our $200 RUG!!!!! Well after a whole lot of OMG FLASH!!!! :swear: Not 20 minutes later he is BACK at the rug chewing on it.

I'm pretty mad, my boyfriend is pretty mad... and poor Blitz is mad because Flash destroyed his "baby" that he carries everywhere...

What gives? Flash is 1 year & 4 months... Never had a problem before. He is acting fine... Happy & bouncy. It's not even like he is wanting to Chew.. he is intentionally destroying things..

:mad: Flash is in time out at the moment.... Not sure if this is related to a health issue? age issue? emotional issue?

Our house has been very stressful the last few weeks due to family health ... maybe its rubbing off on Flash?

Ideas?

You mention that they aren't getting out much because of the heat. Maybe he needs something to do. Doggy daycare can be quite expensive, but camp bow wow does the first day free so you may want to try that.

Sounds exactly like the thread I just started this morning. I think it's boredom. Bentley's no problem at night because he sleeps in his kennel and, I don't care if he destroys his own toys--I just need him to leave our furniture and woodwork alone!

Coco was never much of a chewer either until she DISCOVERED stuffing. Maybe just about a month ago, she accidentally ripped open a toy. I say accidentally, because she normally thrashes and carries her toys around rather than chew on them. Anways, stuffing was poking out, and she pulled it, and pulled more, and there it went. EVER since then, she focuses on ripping into toys and pulling out the stuffing. A few days later she discovered the fun of shredding toilet paper of the holder, which she never had shown an interest in before.

Naughty little pets we have! But they think it is oh-so-fun lol.

A tired dog is a good dog that doesn't have time to tear stuff up. Time to step the exercise up a notch, *sigh*

A tired dog is a good dog that doesn't have time to tear stuff up. Time to step the exercise up a notch, *sigh*

Hahaha easier said then done when its currently 105 F outside! UH, this summer is terrible!

Everyone does get a good 45 minutes or more outside every morning & every evening to run & play. But even after sundown its still in the high 80's! Best time to play is at sun up!

Zumie, I think you are right though... it all happened after he tore open & proceeded to take all the stuffing out of the 1st toy. Then it all happened one right after another... No more toys they can destroy for a few days... It's all stuffing free toys for a while! Maybe once he realizes there is nothing inside he will stop!

*Sigh* I finally thought I could trust all the Cavaliers to be "good dogs" ... LOL

Suggestion: Laser pointer. Best "wear 'em out without knocking the lampshades off" toy we ever got (for both the cats and the dogs).Be careful not to point it at their faces though, it can hurt their eyes ;) . Rose is good for a wiffle ball anytime too. We also have a toy skunk that you put an empty plastic waterbottle inside it- ooo boy, fun fun! I've got lots more left from when we were trying to find ways (pretty much asking everyone we could, lol) to entertain a young boxer with a severe congenital heart defect in the house during the hot southern summers, so if you need more, I can give you some ;) .

Yeah, Brooklyn did this too and just like you guys, it happened they day she "discovered" stuffing came out! It was like "holy crap, I had no idea how cool this was"! ha. She even destroyed her lamb lamb which she snuggled with since she was a baby, so I really think it was less "destroy" and more like "cool, I wonder what's in here!" :fool:

I stopped with the stuffed toys for a while and stocked up on the stuffingless ones from the pet shop. Do you have those? Water bottles are fun too (poke holes in it and put treats/food inside...get ready for a play fest!). Also, I posted TONS of my favorite entertaining toys and brain drains in CSutherland's post which might be helpful??

I just say...no stuffing for a while. Sigh.

Oh and the laser pointer is an awesome idea!!!

Careful, too much laser pointer playing can cause OCD! I am not even joking either, some dogs will forever become obsessed with constantly searching for that red dot.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT use laser pointers with your animals :(:(

This can be a really confusing area for dog and cat owners because a lot of places now sell lasers as toys for animals. But the evidence from vets and dog trainers and behaviourists points to this being a very bad idea -- and probably worse for cavaliers than some other breeds as they are already inclined towards more reports of obsessive compulsive behaviour (like flycatching and tailchasing) than many other breeds.

This is a good overview article by a dog trainer, and I'd agree with what he says, while adding that some lasers could harm an animal's eyes too -- it depends on the strength of the light beam. Consider they have been used to blind pilots landing planes though and I think we can agree getting a laser anywhere near an animal's eyes is a risk not worth taking, ever:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Are-Laser-...Dog?&id=292320

On a further note, I have read several personal reports of people with dogs, many of them cavaliers, who have ended up with serious obsessive-compulsive behaviours after chasing lasers. The questions comes up regularly on some of the email lists and boards.

There are vet studies that draw a direct connection between lasers and obsessive-compulsive disorders.

http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pb...606010310/1037

"Dr. Alice Moon-Fanelli is a behavior geneticist and consultant on companion animal behavior at Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine. She recently told me, "It is well known in the academic behavior community that some dogs at risk for developing compulsive behavior can be triggered by laser lights to become compulsive light chasers."

"Kathy Diamond, author of "Therapy Dogs: Training Your Dog to Reach Others," said in a recent article in VeterinaryPartner.com, "Laser lights and flashlight games need special mention. Don't! These games commonly lead to obsessive behaviors. A laser light can also damage a dog's eyes. When an obsession with light-chasing becomes full-blown, the dog may require lifelong medication to control ceaseless searching for any beam of light or shadow to follow."

Posted originally by Karlin

please please please do not use laser pointers with your animals :(:(

posted originally by karlin

i am also wondering what the effects may be on dogs/cats who are prone to seizures. I am an rn and work on a psych unit. We cannot where those shirts you see at xmas with the blinking lights on them because some believe it can agitate the psychotic patients from overstimulating them. Don't know if it's true or not but it does make some sense.

Karen h.

Suggestion: Rose is good for a wiffle ball anytime too. We also have a toy skunk that you put an empty plastic waterbottle inside it- ooo boy, fun fun! I've got lots more left from when we were trying to find ways (pretty much asking everyone we could, lol) to entertain a young boxer with a severe congenital heart defect in the house during the hot southern summers, so if you need more, I can give you some ;) .

Ha, we HAD 4 wiffle balls (assorted sizes). I liked them because they didn't "squeak" but the dogs still found them amusing. Now we have none. The smallest was chewed & smashed. The other 3 were broken in 1/2 during his "destructive" phase. I need to try the water bottle toys. I'm sure he would go nuts over that.

As far as laser pointers go... we have one... but I have to be careful with it. None of the Cavaliers are interested in it. My cats LOVE it. It's about the only thing my older cats show any interest in... BUT.. my German Shepard has an OCD over it. When she was a pup my room mates played with her all the time with one. I worked a lot and I didn't realize just how nuts they made her. I took the lazor pointers away after she started jumping at every light reflection she saw. Now if she catches site of it she will get a little "jumpy" but I don't let her play with it anymore. Once she sees me with it I have to put it away. Imagion a 70lb German Shepard trying to climb your walls to get at a little reflection. Thankfully most off her "jumpiness" went away but she still remembers what the laser is and it must bring back memories. I have never seen my cats affected in a "bad way" by it. My two older boys don't really play anymore so occasionally pull it out just so I can watch them play like little kittens for a minute or two. When the lights gone they go back to there sleeping spot like it never happened.

I would say be very CAREFUL with dogs... its not a fun when they get obsessed with it. It can go from cute to annoying really quick. I never realized how many tiny reflections there were around the house until my Shepard got obsessed.

Very interesting about the laser pointer, thanks for letting us know! That is why we have this bored :) When I was a kid, I used to use it to play with my cat, and just had no idea (though, I looking back, I don't think it affected her at all). No laser pointer's for Brooky, thanks for clearing that up.

Funny comic this thread reminded me of

tumblr_lo4o0k9gOU1qzex9io1_500.jpg

Hi i find its becos of lack of excercise,we walk all the dogs in the kennels,2 to 4 times a day,after their walks they all settle,for at least 2hrs.Archie can be bold,he eats the ears of her sylvanian family rabbits,or the leg of her farm animals,mmmmmmm.

i am also wondering what the effects may be on dogs/cats who are prone to seizures. I am an rn and work on a psych unit. We cannot where those shirts you see at xmas with the blinking lights on them because some believe it can agitate the psychotic patients from overstimulating them. Don't know if it's true or not but it does make some sense.

Karen h.

Well I don't now about psychotic patients, but I do know from personal experience that blinking, flashing, or strobing lights can also affect migraine sufferers - and I believe epilepsy sufferers too as we sometimes get warnings about them before certain TV programs that may includes such effects. Another thing that can make me feel really bad are the series of yellow "slow down" lines on some of our roads.:(

I also know from posts on other forums and lists of other owners whose Cavaliers have had problems OCD wise with the laser pointers, so it appears to be a fairly common problem.

Rosemary

Back