Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sudden destructive behavior!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Furrfoot View Post
    Suggestion: Rose is good for a wiffle ball anytime too. We also have a toy skunk that you put an empty plastic waterbottle inside it- ooo boy, fun fun! I've got lots more left from when we were trying to find ways (pretty much asking everyone we could, lol) to entertain a young boxer with a severe congenital heart defect in the house during the hot southern summers, so if you need more, I can give you some .
    Ha, we HAD 4 wiffle balls (assorted sizes). I liked them because they didn't "squeak" but the dogs still found them amusing. Now we have none. The smallest was chewed & smashed. The other 3 were broken in 1/2 during his "destructive" phase. I need to try the water bottle toys. I'm sure he would go nuts over that.

As far as laser pointers go... we have one... but I have to be careful with it. None of the Cavaliers are interested in it. My cats LOVE it. It's about the only thing my older cats show any interest in... BUT.. my German Shepard has an OCD over it. When she was a pup my room mates played with her all the time with one. I worked a lot and I didn't realize just how nuts they made her. I took the lazor pointers away after she started jumping at every light reflection she saw. Now if she catches site of it she will get a little "jumpy" but I don't let her play with it anymore. Once she sees me with it I have to put it away. Imagion a 70lb German Shepard trying to climb your walls to get at a little reflection. Thankfully most off her "jumpiness" went away but she still remembers what the laser is and it must bring back memories. I have never seen my cats affected in a "bad way" by it. My two older boys don't really play anymore so occasionally pull it out just so I can watch them play like little kittens for a minute or two. When the lights gone they go back to there sleeping spot like it never happened.

I would say be very CAREFUL with dogs... its not a fun when they get obsessed with it. It can go from cute to annoying really quick. I never realized how many tiny reflections there were around the house until my Shepard got obsessed.
    Flash Blitz Holly

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting about the laser pointer, thanks for letting us know! That is why we have this bored When I was a kid, I used to use it to play with my cat, and just had no idea (though, I looking back, I don't think it affected her at all). No laser pointer's for Brooky, thanks for clearing that up.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny comic this thread reminded me of

Post Thanks / Like

Hi i find its becos of lack of excercise,we walk all the dogs in the kennels,2 to 4 times a day,after their walks they all settle,for at least 2hrs.Archie can be bold,he eats the ears of her sylvanian family rabbits,or the leg of her farm animals,mmmmmmm.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keekycat View Post
    i am also wondering what the effects may be on dogs/cats who are prone to seizures. I am an rn and work on a psych unit. We cannot where those shirts you see at xmas with the blinking lights on them because some believe it can agitate the psychotic patients from overstimulating them. Don't know if it's true or not but it does make some sense.

Karen h.
    Well I don't now about psychotic patients, but I do know from personal experience that blinking, flashing, or strobing lights can also affect migraine sufferers - and I believe epilepsy sufferers too as we sometimes get warnings about them before certain TV programs that may includes such effects. Another thing that can make me feel really bad are the series of yellow "slow down" lines on some of our roads.

I also know from posts on other forums and lists of other owners whose Cavaliers have had problems OCD wise with the laser pointers, so it appears to be a fairly common problem.

Rosemary