Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 71

Thread: Results are back .... pretty severe malformation and syrinx

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default So sorry for Gracie.

    I am so sorry Debra that you received such devastating news about little Gracie. I have no advice to offer about SM as thankfully Bubbles does not suffer from this heartbreaking condition. My heart goes out to everyone on the board who is living with SM. Cavaliers are the most beautiful and loving dogs on the planet and I am deeply saddened that these wonderful pets have to suffer such pain and that the breed is in danger. You will get some valuable advice in the coming days from owners of cavaliers with SM and I'm sure you will make the right decision for Gracie. In the meantime, give her a hug from me.
    Last edited by mishy; 30th July 2011 at 11:13 AM. Reason: typo
    Anne.
    Bubbles (blenheim) rescue cav,
    Mishka (tricolour) at the rainbow bridge.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm so sorry to hear about Gracie's MRI result. Corey too has a sever case of SM. We opted for surgery a year ago when he was 2 1/2 yo and last month we did follow up MRI. The result is mix. The good thing is there is no new syrinxes and the existing syrinxes remain the same in size. On the other hand the neuro said scar tissue may have developed but he also mentioned that this is pretty normal. I think the surgery somewhat has been helping to stop the syrinxes' progression on corey, should this continue in the future? we don't know and neither does the neurologist. I agree with Bev that the surgery doesn't mean it's right or wrong for Gracie and any other dogs. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me and I live in NC too . Hugs to you both
    Gemma
    Mom of Corey & Honey Bun

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    636
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    You know i already sent you a long private message. But I wanted to add something important.
    We did a follow up MRI after 6 months from the first one and there was no progression, according to Dr. West.
    I don't know if this was a coincedence or due to the omeprazole, but either way; it's possible.
    Not sure what the result would be if we MRI'd again in a year but it sure would be interesting too see....
    Mom of Blondie aka The Monster, my furry daughter and loyal friend!!!!!!!!

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    797
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blondiemonster View Post
    You know i already sent you a long private message. But I wanted to add something important.
    We did a follow up MRI after 6 months from the first one and there was no progression, according to Dr. West.
    I don't know if this was a coincedence or due to the omeprazole, but either way; it's possible.
    Not sure what the result would be if we MRI'd again in a year but it sure would be interesting too see....
    You are treating with meds and decided against the surgery?
    Holly, Oliver, Rosalita, and Scarlett

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Carolina USA
    Posts
    921
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default So much to think about...

    I continue to be mystified why we were not prescribed omeprazole.... Do the other meds on the list he gave us do the same thing? Everyone so far seems to to feel it has been very helpful. Got to ask that for sure on Monday. I think the followup MRIs are very interesting.... Wish there was a major study tracking those results for those getting various treatments. big hugs to all for your support and sharing your own experiences. Gotta PM gyoselyn and find out where she lives!

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    797
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GraciesMom View Post
    I continue to be mystified why we were not prescribed omeprazole.... Do the other meds on the list he gave us do the same thing? Everyone so far seems to to feel it has been very helpful. Got to ask that for sure on Monday. I think the followup MRIs are very interesting.... Wish there was a major study tracking those results for those getting various treatments. big hugs to all for your support and sharing your own experiences. Gotta PM gyoselyn and find out where she lives!
    The Gabapentin and Tramadol are for the pain. The pred suppresses the immune system.
    Last edited by Holly; 30th July 2011 at 03:19 AM.
    Holly, Oliver, Rosalita, and Scarlett

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Chicago area
    Posts
    1,704
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Debra, I was thinking about Gracie the whole time I was out for dinner with my friends and was wondering how you would feel about getting a second opinion on Gracie's MRI. I know it just really put my mind at ease to know that two neurologists said the exact same thing about Riley's diagnosis and prognosis and whether they would recommend surgery (both said 100%). Now, if you get conflicting opinions, that can be problematic. But, you could always send a copy of the disc over to Clare Rusbridge to take a look at. I believe she will do that - maybe for a fee though.


    How are you doing? I know I cried a lot when I got Riley's diagnosis. I had just found out about SM that day and then found out she needed surgery and was sure that surgery was going to shorten her life if it didn't kill her (She had problems coming out of the MRI anesthesia). I hope you have some support for yourself other than your sweet little dog to hold.


    I agree with Reptigirl that I don't think there are any long term side effects with gabapentin. I myself have been on it for over two years for migraine prevention and my neurologist calls it a very safe drug.

    Keep in mind throughout this whole decision making process that you are going to do the best for Gracie given the best information that you have at the time and the best resources that you have available to you. You could have two dogs with identical MRIs and two owners who would choose different treatment options based on a multitude of reasons that no one else is privy to. We are here to listen, to share our stories, and to give you support no matter which route (medical or surgical) you decide to take because we know that you will have made that decision based on your love for Gracie and what you feel is best for her at this time.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    797
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I agree with Bev-- what you choose to do here is such a personal decision and you have to do what you feel is right for your dog. But, I know what a hard decision it is and one that I wish we didn't have to make. You could also contact Dr. Schubert down at UF to see if he would give you a second opinion based on the MRI- he has a big interest in our Cavaliers and SM and sees a lot of them.
    Holly, Oliver, Rosalita, and Scarlett

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Goodness I was hoping for a better result. I am so very sorry. I hope that what ever you choose to do that you can keep Gracie's symptoms managed. Many Many hugs to both of you
    Becky

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    636
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    You are treating with meds and decided against the surgery?
    I am still not sure holly. Its been a year and i am still deciding... She is now 4 and 4 months and is doing allright on meds. Unless there is muscle weakness or a very serious rapud decline i am tempted to ride it out. If no surgery means she will maybe be 8 instead of 10 years old i wouldnt not want to put her through surgery... I dont even know if the surgery will help. If there was a guarantee it would be different... But i could change my mind any given moment. There is never a guarantee either way and we dont know how ling our fur babies will be around for...
    Mom of Blondie aka The Monster, my furry daughter and loyal friend!!!!!!!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •