This sounds so much like my experience with Scarlett... severe malformation and a HUGE syrinx but relatively mild symptoms. I'm sorry to hear this and I know how you feel.... that even though you knew it, it was shocking to hear how bad it actually is and overwhelming when trying to decide what to do. I am curious to hear everyone's opinions on the surgery. Scarlett has been well-managed on her meds and is already almost 5 years old. I decided to manage her medically due, in part, to her age but if she were much younger, I might have thought more seriously about the surgery.
I've had her on Gabapentin, Omeprazole, Previcox and, if needed, Tramadol for about a year and a half. Her bloodwork has always come back perfect. I am not sure about the Pred but that is something we may use in the future.
Good luck! I just went through this same exact scenario 4 days ago. Pat gave me the best advice when she said... Just remember that she is the same girl she was yesterday.
Holly, Oliver, Rosalita, and Scarlett