Thread: How to Become a Breeder

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to Become a Breeder

By no means do I want to start breeding dogs right away, but I really do think that this could end up being a passionate hobby of mine.

I love all animals and am eager to learn more about the purebred world. I haven't spayed Coco yet because I have been planning on trying to gain some show ring experience with her and of course meet other dog enthusiasts.

Some day, I would really love to try my best to help our breed out and do what I can to help minimize their serious health conditions, and attempt to "rescue" the breed.

Does this sound like something I could possibly do, or leave it to more experienced people? I could always go with another breed, but Cavaliers are so sweet and beautiful, I really am in love with them.

What does it take to start off a good breeding program? My first goal is to get a house - right now I live in a condo.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that it is essential to have a mentor, perhaps even more than one.

That means that you must find someone whom you respect and with whom you share the same goals and ethics. You should also like each other! So I think that the first step is to form relationships......thus you need to attend shows and club meetings, etc. and become as educated as possible.

Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA

Post Thanks / Like

Hi its alot of work and i guess u have to know all the history becos of in breeding.I dont think there is much money in it,it would be for the love....I would worry about the mum and where the puppies would end up...

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to be the one to point this out, but, Karlin has this in her guidelines, see number 4 below. Posts which are never allowed1) advertisements for puppies2) advertising your dog for stud service3) advertising looking for a stud4) asking for advice on breedingJust don't want anyone in trouble.
    Cindy and Claire
    Claire was born on Feb7, 2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Claire yes you are correct, discussions about breeding are NOT allowed, please revisit the rules.

I'm locking this thread.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org