• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

omeprozole

cavluvver

What dosage of omeprozole are your dogs taking? Ijust want to compare and what other meds are they taking along with it?

We are just about to start this ourselves....

So very interested in the answers. We are looking at about one-third of a 20 mg tablet... Gracie is 14.5 pounds. I also want to know if we need to give this to her at a time not close to other medications.... does it prevent absorption of her other meds like some related meds do?

I give Jack 8 granules from a 20 mg capsule which come out to ~8 mg, Jack is roughly 21 lbs. I always try and space the omeprazole 2 hours from other meds, however I have heard from others (including my current neurologist) that it is not necessary. I just do it anyway because one vet told me it coats the stomach, limiting full absorption of the gabapentin and keppra that he is on, so I figured if I can do it I will.

This is what I had heard too...

I give Jack 8 granules from a 20 mg capsule which come out to ~8 mg, Jack is roughly 21 lbs. I always try and space the omeprazole 2 hours from other meds, however I have heard from others (including my current neurologist) that it is not necessary. I just do it anyway because one vet told me it coats the stomach, limiting full absorption of the gabapentin and keppra that he is on, so I figured if I can do it I will.
Coating this stomach is what most of the drugs do...so worried it might cause this problem. Will space it out I think.

Coating this stomach is what most of the drugs do...so worried it might cause this problem. Will space it out I think.

There was debate about this same topic (whether to space out the Omeprazole from other drugs) on the CKCSC-SM Yahoo list and someone (I believe, Karlin, but I could be wrong) cited some research stating that it was not necessary to space it out.

omeprazole dosage

Is the dose of omeprazole 1/2 to 1mg per kg. and is the omeprazole the same as the one you can buy in British chemists for indigestion or is it different for dogs? Which is the cheapest way of getting it?:confused:

You will get different opinions on this. I was originallly told by my neuro to just cut the human tablets Prilosec into the specified dose. Jack had a hard time with this as we increased the dose over 5mg (he would throw up white foam). So then I got it componded at a local pharmacy (very expensive but he tolerated it well). Now at last neuro check up the doc changed it to granules (he said it was more pure than the compounded version) of which I give 8. I get these from the animal hospital where my neuro is located (these are much less expensive then the compounded omperazole) and so far Jack has been tolerating it well. I either put the granules in cheese and ball it up or I purchased plain gelatin capsules and place them in there for ease when someone else has to watch him for me.
I have friends who's dogs are doing fine with just cutting the human Prilosec into the prescribed dose and for those without pet insurance it seems the most affordable way here in the US. Although my new granule thing he has Jack on cost me $29 for almost 2 months worth so that is pretty good too.
I do believe that the dose does range from 0.5mg-1mg of omeprazole per kg of weight. Def check that with your vet to be sure.

Back