• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

News on the BVA/KC Official Scheme for CMSM

Carol Fowler

I asked the BVA for an update on the official CMSM screening scheme (a meeting was held between Cavalier breeders the BVA and KC on 12 July)

The BVA have sent the following reply:

The British Veterinary Association (BVA) and Kennel Club (KC) have been in discussions regarding a Canine Health Scheme to screen for Chiari-like malfomation and Syringomyelia (CM/SM) for a couple of years. Both organisations agree there is a need for such a scheme and it has a significant amount of public support. Considerable work has already been undertaken to develop the scheme in consultation with expert neurologists and radiologists.

There has been much discussion within both organisations regarding the publication of the results of the proposed scheme. The BVA firmly believes that the results of the CM/SM scheme must be available in the public domain to assist breeders in making breeding decisions and to assist puppy buyers in choosing a healthy dog. The existing Canine Health Schemes operate in this way.

The KC has concerns regarding the attitude of breeders and owners towards publication of the results and does not yet have a mandate to support results being put in the public domain.

As a result of this the Scheme is currently on hold, bu the KC is actively endeavouring to resulve the issues with breeders and breed clubs.

Apparently there is another meeting between the KC breeders on 31 August 'by invitation only'.

Meanwhile the Heart Scheme has been put 'on hold'. And Cavaliers will continue to develop heart murmurs at a young age, suffering from (and many dying prematurely) from heart failure.

What are we to think? It has taken two years and 3 months and still the CM?SM scheme is not up and running due to objections being raised by Cavalier breeders. Why would they not want the full publication of the results of the scheme? There is only one answer to that.

The Kennel Club's slogans, 'Fit for Function, Fit for Life' and 'Happy Healthy Dogs' both have a very hollow ring. Who, at those meetings was prepared to put the health and welfare of the dogs first? At least it is good news that at last the BVA has stood up to the KC and this is to be very much welcomed.

Meanwhile Cavaliers continue to suffer. I heard within the last week of two 3 year old Cavaliers who were pts because they were screaming in pain from SM. My Rosie, coming up to 9 years old, has SM, MVD (grade 3/4 heart murmur), seasonal Atopy, is becoming deaf, developed a mammary tumor at the age of 4, and has a benign growth on her eyelid. Nine years isn't such an old age for a dog, but for a Cavalier it is. This isn't right. I don't need any more evidence that self regulation will not improve the genetic health of dogs. Only tough welfare laws will do that.

I'm angry today.

Carol

I think we should all be angry!:mad:

I really really don't understand what the breeders want, I mean what do they want??????????

It is selfish, really really selfish behaviour to keep putting themselves above the welfare of these dogs, I remember standing in the waiting room of Stone Lion with Tania talking to Dr Rusbridge just before Xmas last year and a comment passed about 'Cavalier breeders being a law unto themselves' or something to that extent and this is further proof of that!

How Dr Rusbridge, Penny Knowler and all the other wonderful researchers doing their upmost to help this breed continue to do what they are doing in the face of this adversity is a powerful statement to just how much they care!! And Inspirational!

I'm just at a loss for words..WHAT DO THEY WANT ????????

:bang:

Oh Carol, I know you don't know me, but just reading your posts breaks my heart. Hearing all the issues that are happening right here at CT, and knowing that our dear Cavaliers are suffering at the hands of those who only seem to care about the money or status, is overwhelming to think about.I feel at a loss to know what to do to help this precious breed, and it makes me very sad.

This is just so very disappointing and I think we are all with you in expressing anger that this scheme is now on hold YET AGAIN.

Other breeds and breeders are so supportive of their health schemes, and really want to look after their breeds - what can they think of how our breeders are behaving?

It is wonderful though the the BVA are standing up to the KC and breeders...

Well, just read Jemima's blog "Cavaliers, the agony and the agony"

And thanks to those select breeders they have earned themselves a prime spot in PDE2!! :biggrin:

But they were so unhappy about being in PDE1 !! And so unhappy about PDE2 being made !!!

MAYBE THEY SHOULD HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT THAT AND DONE THE HONORABLE THING AND MADE AN EFFORT TO CHANGE!!!! THEY'VE HAD A FEW YEARS TO DO SO!

Ah well- i'm starting to think they like the attention!!

Just venting again!

Well, just read Jemima's blog "Cavaliers, the agony and the agony"

And thanks to those select breeders they have earned themselves a prime spot in PDE2!! :biggrin:

But they were so unhappy about being in PDE1 !! And so unhappy about PDE2 being made !!!

MAYBE THEY SHOULD HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT THAT AND DONE THE HONORABLE THING AND MADE AN EFFORT TO CHANGE!!!! THEY'VE HAD A FEW YEARS TO DO SO!

Cavalier breeders win pride of place in PDE2, a well deserved accolade!

Hopefully the breed will also be high on the list of priorities for the Dog Welfare Council, APGAW and CAWC. All bodies concerned with the health and welfare issues associated with dog breeding.

You might have thought that with all the negative publicity of PDE, the Clubs might have made an effort to put their house in order before the next version was made ? What has actually changed in those 3 years ?

Still no BVA/KC CM/SM scheme
Still no BVA/KC heart scheme
Committee members frequently breaking their own Club's breeding guidelines
Despite a new AHT genetic test for episodic falling, only a handful of UK dogs have done the test.
Still no way of requiring these health tests through the KC Accredited Breeder Scheme

All of this could have happened with the Clubs' support

Meanwhile several peer reviewed papers have been published, showing the high level of incidence of SM, showing that using breeding guidelines will show an improvement for SM and MVD.

What hope is there for the future of this breed ? Its 'broke' and the most influential breeders don't want to fix it, and those caring breeders that do want to do the right thing are to scared to speak out.:-X

Maggie

"All of this could have happened with the Clubs' support

Meanwhile several peer reviewed papers have been published, showing the high level of incidence of SM, showing that using breeding guidelines will show an improvement for SM and MVD.

What hope is there for the future of this breed ? Its 'broke' and the most influential breeders don't want to fix it, and those caring breeders that do want to do the right thing are to scared to speak out.:-X

Maggie"

Hi

Sorry this part I just cannot understand ,I can only conclude that they want the breed to disappear .When one reads the other place it is easy to spot the dominant bullies but surely there are enough of the caring breeders there to speak out,as there may still be time to save our Cavaliers if we all work together ,look at Rupert's Fund. The lure of Champ Certs must be a powerful drug ,but what will they do when there are no more Cavaliers as the day is getting closer .

Why will the others not speak out does anybody know .?

I don't think that this comes as any great surprise.
The fact is, that the majority of breeders do not want their Mri scan results to be publically accessible.
Maggie,
It's obvious that change comes very slowly through formal channels.That's just the way life is...inertia sets in and things reach an impasse with no obvious solution.
The kennel Club comes across as weak and indecisive about what they envisage as the future for the breed and what bugs me is the immediate calls across message boards for outcrosses to another breed,rather than supporting the breeders who want to improve health issues.
Now as for these wonderful caring breeders...
I've no doubt that they exist.But there's no unity between them,very little cohesion and cooperation.
If those breeders are serious about salvaging the breed,then they'd best stop faction fighting,put aside personality differences and start working together for the sake of the breed.
It's becoming Monty pythonesque...like the people's front of Judea vs the Judean people's front.
What's to stop, 10,12 or 14 breeders getting together quietly to exchange ideas on the way forward.
By creating a pool of stock....sharing health results,stud dogs,the best bitches and helping small breeders breed for health and not lose sight of the breed standard.
You'll be waiting a very long time for breed clubs to cater for the wishes of the minority.That's democracy for you unfortunately.
But by thinking outside of the box perhaps something more can be achieved.
Sins

The fact is, that the majority of breeders do not want their Mri scan results to be publically accessible.
Maggie,
It's obvious that change comes very slowly through formal channels.That's just the way life is...inertia sets in and things reach an impasse with no obvious solution.
The kennel Club comes across as weak and indecisive about what they envisage as the future for the breed and what bugs me is the immediate calls across message boards for outcrosses to another breed,rather than supporting the breeders who want to improve health issues.
I've no doubt that they exist.But there's no unity between them,very little cohesion and cooperation.
If those breeders are serious about salvaging the breed,then they'd best stop faction fighting,put aside personality differences and start working together for the sake of the breed.
It's becoming Monty pythonesque...like the people's front of Judea vs the Judean people's front.
What's to stop, 10,12 or 14 breeders getting together quietly to exchange ideas on the way forward.
By creating a pool of stock....sharing health results,stud dogs,the best bitches and helping small breeders breed for health and not lose sight of the breed standard.
You'll be waiting a very long time for breed clubs to cater for the wishes of the minority.That's democracy for you unfortunately.
Sins

Sins you always say things so elequently. I agree with what you said and I was quite upset last night about the outcrossing comments.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Amens to what Sins said..

Gracie's breeders are a good example. They are too busy blaming each other for her SM, instead of doing anything differently with their breeding practices. There are some affordable options in the USA for MRIs for breeders and if the breeders wanted it, they could negotiate for lower rates for a group deal. But they spend too much time competing with each other and whining about costs... if too pricey, then DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!! Raise a fuss!!! Get organized and start demanding it from vet schools and other places that could help. Enlist vets in your cause.

Sorry... just had to vent. I am tired of excuses about cost of MRIs. They could make cheaper options happen if they wanted to.

Maggie,
Sins

Wonderful thoughts and comment here. I believe that there are small groups of breeders already working together, but I also believe, for the breed, a larger group needs to get together.

As I do follow genetics discussions and have a good understanding of population genetics I would suggest that those that are suggesting outcrossing (and I have been told by one zoologist that there have been these suggestions since 1998 re MVD in the breed) are doing so with the thought that the population numbers, with regard to Cavaliers produced by conscientious breeders, might end out too small to support the breed - the thought is that a population bottleneck has been created through illness in Cavaliers.

That is a situation that can be helped through judicious outcrossing. Better that than a lost breed. I know others are of the hope that there are enough in number to continue forward without the outcross. Those of us (and I am one) that are experienced in livestock breeding have less resistance to the idea of outcrossing while still retaining a breed, as in most livestock this is a regularly used tool.

I understand that the thought of outcrossing is unpalatable to many as they seem to understand that option as 'losing the breed'. I have difficulty understanding that and I don't believe I am alone. If someone could explain that way of thinking (why there would be 'upset' about outcross comments), I'd love to understand it a bit better, as I have wrestled with trying to get it for a number of years now.

CC

Last edited:
...........The KC has concerns regarding the attitude of breeders and owners towards publication of the results and does not yet have a mandate to support results being put in the public domain...........

I wonder if this is a change of policy by the KC ? Did breeders want the KC/BVA Hip Dysplasia scheme results published, or the KC/BVA eye scheme results ?

When they introduce any other new BVA/KC scheme are the UK KC now going to now ask for a mandate to publish the results ? So can we expect no more new health BVA/KC schemes with fully published results in any breed then ? Or are some Cavalier breeders unique in their unwillingness to be transparent and open about health test results ?

What use then for the KC's new toy the "Health Test Results Finder" ?

What use then for the KC Accredited Breeder scheme ( relaunched yesterday as the KC Assured Breeder scheme ) ?
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/3839/23/5/3

Maggie

Wonderful thoughts and comment here. I believe that there are small groups of breeders already working together, but I also believe, for the breed, a larger group needs to get together.

As I do follow genetics discussions and have a good understanding of population genetics I would suggest that those that are suggesting outcrossing (and I have been told by one zoologist that there have been these suggestions since 1998 re MVD in the breed) are doing so with the thought that the population numbers, with regard to Cavaliers produced by conscientious breeders, might end out too small to support the breed - the thought is that a population bottleneck has been created through illness in Cavaliers.

That is a situation that can be helped through judicious outcrossing. Better that than a lost breed. I know others are of the hope that there are enough in number to continue forward without the outcross. Those of us (and I am one) that are experienced in livestock breeding have less resistance to the idea of outcrossing while still retaining a breed, as in most livestock this is a regularly used tool.

I understand that the thought of outcrossing is unpalatable to many as they seem to understand that option as 'losing the breed'. I have difficulty understanding that and I don't believe I am alone. If someone could explain that way of thinking (why there would be 'upset' about outcross comments), I'd love to understand it a bit better, as I have wrestled with trying to get it for a number of years now.

CC

Its not that I have a problem with outcrossing if planned by a certain group of experts with a set plan, my problem is people blindly saying its the solution. All the comments of talks of the kc planning this or talking about it, or that even with those that are following recommended protocols and pet buyers supporting them isn't enough because the breed is already too messed up, gives no possitive motivation.

People talking of outcrossing is throwing out this scheme. If people talk about that then why are they even wanting this? I am just asking a hypothetical question. Things will take time and there are other breeds with SM. For people wanting to buy and support the breeders doing their utmost to scan and help the breed, when people talk of the solution of outcrossing, it just gives me an upsetting feeling. Why bother if everyone already gave up.

. . . People talking of outcrossing is throwing out this scheme. If people talk about that then why are they even wanting this? I am just asking a hypothetical question. . . .

Outcrossing does not throw out any scheme, nor hope for the breed or positive motivation. There can be more than one route used to resolve problems, and many differing routes can be used at the same time, working forward from those that give the best results. I don't think that is hard to understand.

CC

Outcrossing does not throw out any scheme, nor hope for the breed or positive motivation. There can be more than one route used to resolve problems, and many differing routes can be used at the same time, working forward from those that give the best results. I don't think that is hard to understand.

CC

That makes sense. However, that would take time, careful planning etc.

CC

I think I am still thinking of a comment someone made about mri vs outcrossing

I think I am still thinking of a comment someone made about mri vs outcrossing

I read the comment on the PDE blog and did not read into it what you did - http://pedigreedogsexposed.blogspot.com/2011/08/cavaliers-agony-and-agony.html#comments

From your other post I believe that you read into it something it did not say. On the blog comments I am waiting for the original poster to get back on and explain.

In my mind saying/asking "Why is all this MRI-ing and research seen to be more sensible than an outcross and the elimination of the flat back of the head?", as rmholt did in that comment does not equate to suggesting that breeders give up on MRIs, research and heart testing. There is not mention of 'instead of' in the comment, but it seems to have been perceived that way.

Oreo

'an outcross and the elimination of the flat back of the head'

If only it was that easy! (And incidentally my SM dog doesn't have a flat back to his head...)

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Back