• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dylan is getting his knee operation tomorrow..

kimy27

We took Dylan to the vet hospital this morning and they decided to keep him in and do the surgery tomorrow. We should be able to pick him up on Thursday. The vet has said that after the operation he will need to be confined to a crate for six weeks :yikes I'm not looking forward to it as I just know he'll hate it. I know it's for the best though so we will just have to persevere. Poor boy :(

is it for luxating patella ?
mischa had them both done at the same time, it was tough at first following her about so she didnt jump around so we ended up with temporary steps all over the house so she could walk up and down everywhere,( old shoe boxes and the like ! ) our surgeon ( malcom ness ) said it would be a good form of gentle exercise for her, 10 months later you wouldnt think there had ever
been anything wrong, so all the work was worth it, i hope all goes well for you both
andy, hils and the girls

Yes it is a luxating patella. He had his surgery this afternoon and everything went well. We are hoping to get him home tomorrow.

Glad the surgery is over. The 6 weeks will be over before you know it too. It will feel so nice to get your boy home tomorrow. Hope you can sleep tonight.

Glad the surgery is over and Dylan is now on the road to recovery, I bet you are so relieved, gentle hugs to Dylan, brave boy.

Thanks everyone. We went last night to get him a crate so everything will be organised for him coming home later this afternoon. However Bailey has decided that she might like to have the crate for herself :lol:-

bailey4.jpg
[/IMG]

I will let you know how he gets on when we get him home :)

Well Dylan is home and he is not a happy boy. He seems to be in a bit of pain which is to be expected but he just doesn't seem to want to settle in his crate.

We have been given strict instructions from the vet that he is not allowed to run, jump on and off of things or go up and down stairs for 6 weeks.

This means that he really needs to be in is crate a lot of the time but being in it is stressing him out. I am hoping that he will settle down once he gets used to it.

He is the type of dog that likes to be next to someone all the time and he is very active so it's going to be really hard to keep him inactive for 6 weeks.

Im sorry to hear he isnt too pleased with the crate. Mimi had surgery for LP 5 weeks ago and we were told to have her in a confined room or pen but we just made sure she wasnt jumping up and down things and taking things slowly and we put my aerobics step at the back door so the step wasnt so steep and she has been doing great, her last appointment the surgeon said there was very little muscle wastage and he was surprised how well she is walking, it was hard at first with her being in pain and seeing her limping about but now she is doing great, she does get a little tired when she has been out for her walk which the surgeon has agreed to be extended to around 30-40 minutes due to her doing well but other than being tired she seems to be getting back to her usual self. It does get easier.

Have you talked to the surgeon about keeping him by your side, laying, or sleeping next to you, and you making sure he's not jumping? I would think that while you are gone, or aren't able to keep control of him, you'd have to crate him. But I would think they may say while you are 100% supervising, that he could be right by your side? I'd ask, poor Dylan !

Have you talked to the surgeon about keeping him by your side, laying, or sleeping next to you, and you making sure he's not jumping? I would think that while you are gone, or aren't able to keep control of him, you'd have to crate him. But I would think they may say while you are 100% supervising, that he could be right by your side? I'd ask, poor Dylan !​

I too would check into this. When Sydney hurt his back and needed to be in his crate 24/7 his put up such a fuss, was swatting at the crate that I thought he would do more harm to himself. I took him out and monitered him but he more or less slept all day. If we sat outside, I had him leashed so he wouldn't run after any birds or other critters, but he had enough room to take a few steps to the grass to take care of business. He doesn't sleep in a crate, so at night I made a baricade around his bed so he would stay put.

:updte: Dylan is doing a lot better in his crate and I think he actually likes it now. During the day we let him out quite a lot to come lie beside us. At night he sleeps in my room in his crate. The first night he cried most of the night but is now sleeping right through without any problems :)

He had his first short walk yesterday. He done well to start with but I ended up having to carry him home.

He has had a few problems which I have discussed with his vet. He was sick the other night so the vet reccomended we take him off the metacam. The other problem he is having is that he keeps pooping while he is sleeping :yikes The vet thinks this is an after affect of the epidural and thinks it should sort itself out in a few days.

What a brave boy Dylan is! cl*pI'm keeping my fingers crossed for the both of you, that the 6 weeks go by as quickly as possible and that the little guy is up and about before you realize (y) Hugs to the both of you :)

Hi

Well done to you both ,you will blink and it will soon be all over and Dylan will be
bouncing all over you .

Back