Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 89

Thread: Severe Pancreatitis ?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,395
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Did the Vet note tenderness in the area of the pancreas? Was that one of the reason they suspected pancreatitis? I feel the same as others here. I'd be watching her like a hawk the next 24 hours. I would say if she isn't much improved by tomorrow, I'd be asking for an xray, or seeking a different Vets opinion. And don't feel you are over protective. That is our job, and quite honestly, most of the time our instincts are right on.
    Cindy and Claire
    Claire was born on Feb7, 2010

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    575
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well they decided to keep her over night. She has returned to being lethargic and when they offered her food she did not eat. I brought up her FAVORITE canned food that she would NEVER refuse and she didn't even lick it.

    My vet (and me) noticed her belly is tense (tight). That is why my vet said pancreatitis in the 1st place. I asked her to do an X-Ray and she "really doesn't think it's necessary". But if she does not eat by morning then she will do it 1st thing in the morning. I really wish she would have already done it but she seems to really think she just needs to get fluids. She was REALLY dehydrated by the time I got her in... uh, I just don't know!

    She is keeping water down today so that is an improvement. She is seems slow moving and calmer then usual. She is peeing but no poo.

    I feel at a lose! She is under the care of two different vets at the clinic both of which have always been super nice and helpful. Out of all the vets I have seen locally they really are caring & compassionate. I have been to so many vets in the last year and every local vet I have been to has been a total jerk or rude. I don't know if it's just me but I can't STAND a vet who thinks they know everything and the owner knows nothing... I may not have a medical degree but I do know my animals very well.

    I looked all around outside to see if I could find ANYTHING she could have ingested. We don't use any pesticides or insect control because we have free range chickens. Inside all the cleaners are locked up in top cabinets.
    Flash Blitz Holly

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    773
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Three thoughts -

    Ultrasound is the diagnostic tool for pancreatitis, not x-ray - better interpretation if done by specialist and not GP vet
    24 hour monitoring (not overnight alone)
    Spec cPL test - can't be run inhouse, must be sent to Idexx, should have ALREADY been done

    http://www.idexx.com/view/xhtml/en_u...s/spec-cpl.jsf

    She's been sick for 48 hours now?

    They are letting her drink water despite the possibility of pancreatitis?

    I presume she is on a continuous IV drip rather than just getting subq fluids?

    Sounds like the only thing they've done is blood chemistry - amylase and lipase - or have they run a full chem panel with CBC?

    Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Carolina USA
    Posts
    921
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Pat raised very good questions....

    I hope you get some answers soon, but you may have to be aggressive. Maybe an approach is something like..."for my own peace of mind, would you please do ultrasound and blood panel? I know you feel no necessary but I really need results cause I just have a gut feeling that won't go away."

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    575
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Pat ~ All I know about the blood panel was my vet wanted to test her kidney function & also ran a test to check for the enzymes that mean it's pancreatitis. All the tests were sent off and not done in house. That is why we had to wait so long for the results. I was told all the results came back normal.

    The enzymes (amylase and lipase) we in normal range. Since the results came back normal they wanted to see if she would eat & drink. She drank water this afternoon but would not eat. When I talked to them before they closed she had kept the water down & has not vomited.

    She "perked up" this morning but by mid afternoon she was lethargic again. I personally wonder if drinking the water did something (triggered something) that either has her in pain? or nausea?

    She started vomiting Monday morning.

    She is on a continuous IV drip

    I'm sorry I don't know more about the blood panel they did. I will inquire more about it tomorrow.
    Flash Blitz Holly

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    575
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I feel so sick & helpless! Holly has not improved at all. She is extremely lethargic today. They are doing X-rays this morning. My vet did say that X-rays do not always show blockages but its a good starting point. She agreed an ultrasound would be best but they don't do them in there clinic. They have a floating vet that goes clinic to clinic to do them by appointment only. I called 2 other vets in the area and they told me the same thing. My vet is going to have a tech track down the ultra sound vet and see if we can't get her checked before the weekend.


    My vet said that despite the fluids she is still really dehydrated She is also still very tender in the belly.

    At this point they are still treating her like it's pancreatitis even though the enzyme levels showed normal. It seems they got the ball rolling on looking for a blockage as well but they ares still not convinced that is the problem. The vet said that usually with a blockage they will continue to vomit even when all foods are withheld. Holly has not vomited since being at the clinic. But she also has not had any solid food since Sunday night! She has not pooed either since Sunday morning!

    I'm really getting nervous & upset that I might loose her. She has always been the healthiest of the 3! She has always been the least problematic one. I never thought I would be this worried about her. I have been slowly preparing myself that Blitz is on borrowed time but I never thought about losing Holly this soon.
    Flash Blitz Holly

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Reptigirl, I've been following your thread and was so hoping you would post great news this morning. I really hope the x-rays show something. I cannot imagine the worry you are going through. My heart goes out to you and to Holly Keeping the faith that there is a solution TODAY
    Becky

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    2,088
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default

    I am so sorry shannon

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    773
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Shannon,

    I believe that you need a specialty clinic/ER/hospital with an internist, 24 hour care, and ability to do ultrasound and other higher tech tests and procedures in-house. What about the original place that you went to the first night? I believe that Holly is insured as well as Flash and Blitz. X-rays aren't good enough, you need ultrasound. This is beyond a GP vet. You can't rule out pancreatitis based on only amylase and lipase. Time is of the essence. (I would also not have a dog on an IV fluid pump without continual monitoring.)

    Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Scotland - east coast
    Posts
    9,954
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    I'm so sorry Shannon, just catching up and was so shocked to read this

    Pat has given very good advice, it really does sound like your vets are not taking this as seriously as they should be - Pancreatitis is becoming more of a problem in Cavaliers.

    I do hope you can get Holly moved to a better treatment centre esp with the weekend imminent.

    You are in our thoughts x
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •