Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Headed to surgery on Monday in Florida

Post Thanks / Like

What a brave decision. I admire you so much for being so proactive, and doing so much research. I know you are doing what you think is the very best option for your little one. My prayers will be with you. Please keep us updated. Judy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Love my Cavaliers View Post
    Debra, Good luck. Which kind of surgery do they do in Fla? Is it the titanium mesh or a different kind? If you want any help about what seemed to work for us with Riley's recovery just PM me. It will seem longer to you than to Gracie. We're here for you whenever you need us, in whatever way.
    Bev,

Were you the one that decorated rileys crate? I know what you mean about it seeming longer for you.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like

Toby and I are wishing Gracie the best! We will be thinking of your family on Monday. Many many hugs and so many positive thoughts going out to you

Post Thanks / Like

Will be thinking about you both. This has progressed so fast, I'm glad to know you've got a handle on everything and are being proactive for Gracie's sake.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anniemac View Post
    Bev,

Were you the one that decorated rileys crate? I know what you mean about it seeming longer for you.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Nope, wasn't me. I did have crates in a lot of rooms though simply because I have a multi-dog household so I had to keep Riley separated from the other dogs, but I also wanted her near me and around the action. And then later I attached an X-pen to her crate to give her more room. No decorations though. She coped so well. Never heard a complaint out of her. But that's her personality also. My youngest, Oz (who does not have SM) would have been complaining so loudly my neighbors would have heard him even with all the doors and windows closed!!! But I wonder if that's a characteristic personality trait of SM dogs - that they deal with and cope with so much pain on a daily basis that they become non-complainers in general.

Debra, after Riley's surgery she came home with a fentanyl patch for pain relief which was absolutley remarkable. It worked so well that the first night home she only whimpered once in pain and then she never again whimpered or cried out in pain. I kept her crate next to my bed at night so I could hear her in case she needed pain med at night. It might be something to ask Gracie's neuro about. Riley had it for about 3 days when she came home and it just worked so well. She also had Tramadol if she needed it for back-up pain relief.

Also just an FYI - with the titanium mesh implant you can take Gracie through the security screening at airports. It will not set off the alarm. Riley has flown with me many, many times since her surgery. I had a note from her neuro the first time in case it set off an alarm, but it never does. When I think of any more tidbits, I'll send them along.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Gracie.
    It's a very hard decision, I have been through similar process, although my dog's operation isn't the same one i.e decompression, I am glad I have made that decision as my dog is more alert now and the syrinx has reduced in size.

Daffymum

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Love my Cavaliers
    Also just an FYI - with the titanium mesh implant you can take Gracie through the security screening at airports. It will not set off the alarm. Riley has flown with me many, many times since her surgery. I had a note from her neuro the first time in case it set off an alarm, but it never does.
    Surgical grade titanium doesn't set off the metal detectors, even the new "naked scanners" don't find it. I have a plate in my wrist and have flown through several airports in the US, Europe, and Central America with no problems.

Post Thanks / Like

(((hugs))) and prayers...

Post Thanks / Like

Wishing you Luck, sending you hugs and praying for ye.
    Desrae, guardian of two tri-coloured cavaliers, Belle 3 years old and Bobby 1 year/8 months.

Post Thanks / Like

U are so brave i really admire you. I simply havent had the guts to go through with surgery or make a final decision. Not ready yet i guess, or maybe ill never be. Good luck and i will be rooting for gracie!!!!
    Mom of Blondie aka The Monster, my furry daughter and loyal friend!!!!!!!!