• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Headed to surgery on Monday in Florida

Oh goodness, I wasn't expecting this so fast! I know you probably haven't gotten much sleep since she was dx'd. But I am curious as to what symptoms she is having that have increased so rapidly. It seems just yesterday she was doing so well.I'll be thinking if you and Gracie, and saying many prayers on your behalf. How long is the surgery? How long will she be at the hospital? What is recovery? Sorry, I just don't know these things.You are a brave woman Debra. Bless you for being such a wonderful caretaker of Gracie.

Oh goodness, I wasn't expecting this so fast! I know you probably haven't gotten much sleep since she was dx'd. But I am curious as to what symptoms she is having that have increased so rapidly. It seems just yesterday she was doing so well.I'll be thinking if you and Gracie, and saying many prayers on your behalf. How long is the surgery? How long will she be at the hospital? What is recovery? Sorry, I just don't know these things.You are a brave woman Debra. Bless you for being such a wonderful caretaker of Gracie.
Hey....her scratching on walks got bad pretty quickly in this hot weather. Some days very hard to get down the street on a walk. I was not expecting the MRI to show such a large syrinx given her symptoms were still not that bad. She has ALWAYS had some scratching that seemed a bit too much since we got her at 5 months, but would come and go. Probably weather related and did not know connection... Or when she was excited. Gracie is much better on digestive issues after we switched her diet to raw food, but never resolved the scratching episodes. We consult with Dr.Schubert on Monday and surgery is Tuesday. It takes 3-4 hours I think. Then she stays at hospital for about 4-5 days before we take her home. This was a very hard decision....I know it may not work out. But her malformation and syrinx is such that time is our enemy. If it does not work to prevent her from getting worse and being in real pain... we will have done our best. Some do very well on meds for a long time, but the odds of that are not good for her.

Oh Debra, I understand. You are trying to do the best for her and if the surgery stops the progression, then it's worth it. I am just so sorry that it was this severe. Does she appear in pain?You need to start a thread that will keep us updated from Monday forward. Hugs to you and hubby.

Last edited:
So far no overt pain...

Oh Debra, I understand. You are trying to do the best for here, and if the surgery stops the progression, then it's worth it. I am just so sorry that it was this severe. Does she appear in pain?You need to start a thread that will keep us updated from Monday forward. Hugs to you and hubby.
No yelping or whining.... But it was slowing her down and preventing her from doing things she once enjoyed, like chasing balls and running up our stairs. I do think she had some headaches though, even if not yelping.

A few hard weeks ahead but you and Gracie will get through.

There will be a great many people thinking of you both on Monday

So sorry to read this Debra - hard for you to make a decision when you are obviously under pressure but only you can make that decision with the advice you have received. We hope that it will be very successful and Gracie will have many happy and healthy years ahead of her.

Will be thinking of you x

Hi Debra

And best wishes from all us in Prenton we all will be thinking about you and we know both you and Gracie will
be fine after all this is way behind you .A brave but well thought out decison.

I will definitely check in with reports

If I have Internet troubles I will call Annuemac to provide updates. Love you all....truly.

Good luck!! I hope the surgery goes well. Will be thinking of you and Gracie on Tuesday. Please send updates as soon as you can. Hugs to you both :hug:

I will be thinking of you and Gracie on Tuesday. You both will be in my prayers.

Best of luck to Gracie. It is never easy knowing our loved ones have to go through such major surgery.. my rottweiler Gary had surgery on his shoulders, elbows, and 1 hip. I remember he couldn't even walk to go potty, it was hard to see. Amazingly he had a smile on his face every day and seemed to know that what he was going through in the end was going to help. I am sure Gracie trusts you and your decision.

I think you will find both Dr. Schubert and UF wonderful to work with -- I know I certainly did. I will be thinking of you and sending prayers your way. I am just a couple hours away, so would be happy to provide a stopover post surgery or anything else that might be of assistance. Please let me know if there is anything I can do as I am very close to where you'll be!

Just catching up on CT. Debra I will be thinking of you and Gracie Monday and Tue. You are such a good mommy. I will be sending lots of positive and healing vibes your way. Keep us updated.

Sure feels a bit scary

Packing up all the stuff to take... Kinda brings it all home that it is really happening. Leaving at 10 am for the long trip down. Took Gracie to play with friends...and played a lot with her toys. Working hard on being brave...

Back