• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

10 month post op surgery MRI and scar tissue formation

gyoselyn

Hi All-

Stupid question alert.. I've heard about AlphaSonic and I'm wondering if Scar Tissue already formed for a while would it help to manage or even dissolve it? My Corey had decompression surgery with swine tissue procedure 11 mo ago and just had his post op MRI last month. The result is good and bad. Good that there's no progression and bad that there may be scar tissue formation since the back of the cerebellum appeared flattened, but he doesn't know to what degree. I'm confused by this. He has been scratching more often lately while he's sleeping and first waking up not everyday but more bad days than good days and I've heard that hot weather plays a big role and I'm hoping that's the case certainly we've been having an extremely hot ones + humidity in NC. During the day he's doing well, still playing and very rare scratching episodes. I'm about to bang my head to the wall I'm so worried that he's starting to deteriorate again :(.

This is a very important question

Gracie already has some scar tissue and no surgery yet! I think that the surgery will always produce scar tissue... but how much and where is the question. I think that your neuro who did the surgery would be the best person to ask about the scar tissue that has developed since surgery. Is it somewhere that would cause these issues? The swine tissue is intended to keep that effect to a minimum but it may have missed the mark or there was already scar tissue in a bad place. I would cetainly want the neuro to tell you what the scar tissue means.

The NC state have sent the MRI result to Dr. Shores, so we're waiting on him. Just sent him another email this morning. I think he's overloaded right now, he got back to us after our first email couple weeks ago fairly quick. How did Gracie get her scar tissue? Is it near her cerebellum?

I'm sorry gemma :( we have had extremely humid weather here and rain the past weekend. I know that always made things worse for ella. Poor corey. Is he still running around with a stick in his mouth and happy otherwise?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Yes he's his usual self during the day and he likes to play and full with energy. Maybe I'm just too paranoid..

Yes he's his usual self during the day and he likes to play and full with energy. Maybe I'm just too paranoid..

We always worry about our babies. At one time I created an online journal to monitor ella. It's good to see if any changes were due to increased activity, weather etc. I know we had a rough weekend in terms of weather last weekend.

About the alphasonic, I had looked into it for Ella. It is quite expensive (I believe over $1000). I had contacted Steele Creek Animal Hospital because they have ultrasound therapy. I didn't ever do it to see if it would help but Dr. Brofman said it couldn't hurt. Here is the link http://www.keepingpetshealthy.com/rehab.html

About the alphasonic, I had looked into it for Ella. It is quite expensive (I believe over $1000). I had contacted Steele Creek Animal Hospital because they have ultrasound therapy. I didn't ever do it to see if it would help but Dr. Brofman said it couldn't hurt. Here is the link http://www.keepingpetshealthy.com/rehab.html

Thanks Anne, I'll call them up. Yes we did have pretty nasty weekend. I'm hoping his flare ups because of this. I gave him an extra dose of gabapentin late last night and he didn't scratch maybe once while sleeping and less than usual when he woke up.

Yes.... Scar tissue near cerebellum

The NC state have sent the MRI result to Dr. Shores, so we're waiting on him. Just sent him another email this morning. I think he's overloaded right now, he got back to us after our first email couple weeks ago fairly quick. How did Gracie get her scar tissue? Is it near her cerebellum?
Yes.. He pointed out scar tissue where the brain is pressing against the bone...already there. Not sure how unusual that is.

But no clue if the neuro has a clue..

What he was talking about either!! I will ask Dr. Schubert when we see him.

Debra wrote: where the brain is pressing against the bone...

Might be worth looking at my thread 'Interesting reading' in General Chat, where there seemed to be human evidence that damage to the cerebellum can cause pain and nerve problems even without the formation of a syrinx (in the human case, following internal bleeding in the brain, in Gracie's case from pressure from the skull/CM). It makes sense, if the cerebellum is pushed down into the top of the spinal cord (herniation), that the tight fit and perhaps rubbing will damage it.

All the best for Monday.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Thanks Anne, I'll call them up. Yes we did have pretty nasty weekend. I'm hoping his flare ups because of this. I gave him an extra dose of gabapentin late last night and he didn't scratch maybe once while sleeping and less than usual when he woke up.

1000 dollars to buy the machine?

what Dr Schubert said about pre-op scar tissue

I did ask about this. He said at Gracie's age, he would not call it scar tissue yet but the compression of brain tissue can create bruising that will lead to a type of scarring. He used a term that I did not recognize for what he called it. Maybe someone else will know it. He compared it to callouses on your feet where shoes damage over time.

Last edited:
1000 dollars to buy the machine?

The alphasonic machine was when I looked into it for Ella. There was someone on one of the forums that had one and said positive things but how can one determine if it was from what? I bought some cheap-o machine that was under $100 and never used it. I gave it to a co worker who had some issues herself.

From Rod's website:

http://cavalierhealth.org/syringomyelia.htm

"The manufacturer of the device represents that AlphaSonic™ is safer and more effective than ultrasound, penetrates deeper into the tissues, reduces inflammation, and softens scar tissue. It can be applied locally and at acupressure points, and is said to increase blood circulation and can allow the body to heal itself, much like the affects of acupuncture, but without the needles."

I would like to see something (no offence Rod since you are just the messenger) from someone other than a manufacturer and actual research. I guess if you have $1000 to blow then maybe?

However,

I got an email from Gemma (Corey's Mom) and I think Dr. Shores gave better information and might not be an issue. I will let her share.

The US breeder Jamie Redniss is a real advocate of the soundwave therapy -- had very good success with it. I am sure you can google her (or she is on several lists) and she would likely be very willing to discuss it with you. She bought her own machine. This therapy is known to work with scar tissue in some people.

From Clare Rusbridge's website:

Are there any alternative therapy options?
Anecdotally, acupuncture and ultrasonic treatments have been reported to be useful adjunctive therapy in some cases. In some cases chartered physiotherapists are able to help alleviate signs. www.acpat.org, [email protected] . Care should be taken however as the response to these treatments is very individual and some dogs may actually be more painful afterwards. Spinal manipulation is contraindicated.

Back