Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 month post op surgery MRI and scar tissue formation

Post Thanks / Like

Default But no clue if the neuro has a clue..

What he was talking about either!! I will ask Dr. Schubert when we see him.

Post Thanks / Like

Debra wrote: where the brain is pressing against the bone...

Might be worth looking at my thread 'Interesting reading' in General Chat, where there seemed to be human evidence that damage to the cerebellum can cause pain and nerve problems even without the formation of a syrinx (in the human case, following internal bleeding in the brain, in Gracie's case from pressure from the skull/CM). It makes sense, if the cerebellum is pushed down into the top of the spinal cord (herniation), that the tight fit and perhaps rubbing will damage it.

All the best for Monday.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gyoselyn View Post
    Thanks Anne, I'll call them up. Yes we did have pretty nasty weekend. I'm hoping his flare ups because of this. I gave him an extra dose of gabapentin late last night and he didn't scratch maybe once while sleeping and less than usual when he woke up.
    1000 dollars to buy the machine?
    Mom of Blondie aka The Monster, my furry daughter and loyal friend!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default what Dr Schubert said about pre-op scar tissue

I did ask about this. He said at Gracie's age, he would not call it scar tissue yet but the compression of brain tissue can create bruising that will lead to a type of scarring. He used a term that I did not recognize for what he called it. Maybe someone else will know it. He compared it to callouses on your feet where shoes damage over time.
    Last edited by GraciesMom; 10th August 2011 at 07:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blondiemonster View Post
    The alphasonic machine was when I looked into it for Ella. There was someone on one of the forums that had one and said positive things but how can one determine if it was from what? I bought some cheap-o machine that was under $100 and never used it. I gave it to a co worker who had some issues herself.

From Rod's website:

http://cavalierhealth.org/syringomyelia.htm

"The manufacturer of the device represents that AlphaSonic™ is safer and more effective than ultrasound, penetrates deeper into the tissues, reduces inflammation, and softens scar tissue. It can be applied locally and at acupressure points, and is said to increase blood circulation and can allow the body to heal itself, much like the affects of acupuncture, but without the needles."

I would like to see something (no offence Rod since you are just the messenger) from someone other than a manufacturer and actual research. I guess if you have $1000 to blow then maybe?

However,

I got an email from Gemma (Corey's Mom) and I think Dr. Shores gave better information and might not be an issue. I will let her share.
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blondiemonster View Post
    I actually think it's more. I had someone contact me a long time ago from Twitter and sells them and was going to give me a deal.
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anniemac View Post
    I actually think it's more. I had someone contact me a long time ago from Twitter and sells them and was going to give me a deal.
    If we ever do the surgery i will get one... Dont care how much it costs, i dont want to regret it later...
    Mom of Blondie aka The Monster, my furry daughter and loyal friend!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is this a link to what you are referring to?

http://makepaingoaway.com/

Just making sure....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The US breeder Jamie Redniss is a real advocate of the soundwave therapy -- had very good success with it. I am sure you can google her (or she is on several lists) and she would likely be very willing to discuss it with you. She bought her own machine. This therapy is known to work with scar tissue in some people.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

From Clare Rusbridge's website:

Are there any alternative therapy options?
    Anecdotally, acupuncture and ultrasonic treatments have been reported to be useful adjunctive therapy in some cases. In some cases chartered physiotherapists are able to help alleviate signs. www.acpat.org, acpat@calra.net . Care should be taken however as the response to these treatments is very individual and some dogs may actually be more painful afterwards. Spinal manipulation is contraindicated.

Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com