Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: sun bathing

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Coventry UK
    Posts
    1,857
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Read my post again, Brian - I never said that animals lying in the sun burnt, I said they can get heatstroke. And it's not their noses that can get sunburnt, it's the little bits of almost bare skin around their noses, which many Blenheims have and that can get sore. Short-haired white breeds such as bull terriers are particularly vulnerable, but Cavaliers are also short-haired on their muzzles. Long-haired cats probably have more hair there, which protects them. A little dab of sunblock gives protection.

    Kate, Oliver and Aled (who is definitely pink around his nose!)

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    636
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Blondie does it first thing in the morning. She scratches the window of my appartment and wants to sit on the balcony in the sun just staring at things.
    Mom of Blondie aka The Monster, my furry daughter and loyal friend!!!!!!!!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If I had money to just blow on anything this would be fun
    http://www.csnstores.com/The-Refined...d=FR49-TRC1012


    Becky

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kenilworth, Warwickshire UK
    Posts
    267
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Would you just look at that and how about a little baseball cap to keep the sun off their noses?

    Actually yesterday was so hot and clammy I didn't take Alfie out for a walk, just let him run in and out of the garden. Have you ever tried giving Toby ice cubes Becky? Alfie loves them as if they were a treat. Crunching them up and enjoying the coolness...... and the fact they slide aound making them a game too !

    Diana
    Last edited by Blueroses; 4th August 2011 at 08:38 AM.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Prenton Cheshire
    Posts
    4,716
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Hello Kate

    And read my post as I never made any ref to your post ,I just said "tongue in cheek " that my cats (no mention of Cavaliers ) never had their
    noses burnt as with pure white cats that can be a problem ,and my cats were short haired .Lets not argue it was only a fun comment with no malice.
    Brian M

    Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Dumfries, Scotland
    Posts
    1,015
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gamefanz View Post
    If I had money to just blow on anything this would be fun
    http://www.csnstores.com/The-Refined...d=FR49-TRC1012


    Becky
    Ha! Murphy just steals a sun lounger instead. He waits till one of us moves and then plonks himself down and pretends to be sleeping when you come back
    Paula - mum to Murphy(6) & Misty(7), and Jerry our cat.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I wonder if Toby would keep a cap on Actually last night we gave Toby an ice cube for the first time. He loved it! At first he didn't know what to do with it but then got the hang of it. We took him for a walk last night and he got the zooms on the leash. Not a good combo! He yanked the leash, ran everywhere twisting and turning. We had a hard time keeping up with his zooms. When we got home he collapsed and fell asleep. It was a great way to end the day LOL My husband didn't have to play to much last night LOL
    I'm sorry you were not able to go for a walk but at least Alfie has the garden Today is supposed to be 80 degrees here. Not as hot as other parts of the country but for us its pretty warm. Especially when our homes do not come with AC. We have a portable in our bedroom but the rest of the house is just fans.
    Becky



    Quote Originally Posted by Blueroses View Post
    Would you just look at that and how about a little baseball cap to keep the sun off their noses?

    Actually yesterday was so hot and clammy I didn't take Alfie out for a walk, just let him run in and out of the garden. Have you ever tried giving Toby ice cubes Becky? Alfie loves them as if they were a treat. Crunching them up and enjoying the coolness...... and the fact they slide aound making them a game too !

    Diana

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Tipperary Ireland
    Posts
    1,585
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blueroses View Post
    Would you just look at that and how about a little baseball cap to keep the sun off their noses?

    Actually yesterday was so hot and clammy I didn't take Alfie out for a walk, just let him run in and out of the garden. Have you ever tried giving Toby ice cubes Becky? Alfie loves them as if they were a treat. Crunching them up and enjoying the coolness...... and the fact they slide aound making them a game too !

    Diana
    I just found out that ice water and ice cubes can be very dangerous! I guess it can give them bloat and cause death. I used to give mine some as a treat after a walk on warm days- oh and they loved them so much too.
    The experts advise lots of cool fresh water and even a cool damp towel for them to lie on in order to cool down. Also you can let them stand in a little teeny tub of cool water to help them cool off.

    But anyway, our Belle is an absolute sun worshipper, she would have been right at home in the days of the Pharaohs... our Bobby likes a good ol' roll in the grass but generally likes the shade. They both have completely black backs. It's very endearing how dogs love the good weather like we do! Sometimes I see them sprawled out in the grass and I want to join them, but, alas, I have work to do.
    Desrae, guardian of two tri-coloured cavaliers, Belle 3 years old and Bobby 1 year/8 months.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    UGH! just another thing I have started giving Toby that we now have to give up We just started it too, at least he isn't obsessed with it yet.
    Thank you for letting us know.
    Becky

  10. #20
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kenilworth, Warwickshire UK
    Posts
    267
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Desrae View Post
    I just found out that ice water and ice cubes can be very dangerous! I guess it can give them bloat and cause death. I used to give mine some as a treat after a walk on warm days- oh and they loved them so much too.
    The experts advise lots of cool fresh water and even a cool damp towel for them to lie on in order to cool down. Also you can let them stand in a little teeny tub of cool water to help them cool off.

    But anyway, our Belle is an absolute sun worshipper, she would have been right at home in the days of the Pharaohs... our Bobby likes a good ol' roll in the grass but generally likes the shade. They both have completely black backs. It's very endearing how dogs love the good weather like we do! Sometimes I see them sprawled out in the grass and I want to join them, but, alas, I have work to do.
    Oh no !!! I have read several articles, that you should take a puppy's water bowl up after say 8pm ( when potty training ) but if it is very warm and they seem thirsty, to offer an ice cube as it melts slowly but there is little water volume. Ive also seen tips on this forum to offer ice cubes ( hot weather thread ) It seems this is not good advice then??
    Last edited by Blueroses; 5th August 2011 at 03:12 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •