• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

sun bathing

gamefanz

I've noticed that Toby loves sun bathing. I take him out to the back yard to explore, play and do his business but the first thing he does is find the sunny areas and lay down to sun bathe. He will either be on his side or on his back. If I allowed him, I'm sure he'd spend an hr out there. Of course I don't want him sun burnt so I bring him in after a bit. I'm afraid he will get a rude awakening in a few short months when the sun goes away and the rain returns...which I don't mind for myself, I love clouds and rain but for him I think it won't be a good thing. He doesn't mind the heat at all But touching him I know he is hot.
Anyone else have a sun bathing dog?
Becky

Both of my boys love sunbathing, but neither of my girls do. And Oz, my tricolor has a blanket coat so he is all black on his back. He gets incredibly hot, but he just loves to lie down in that hot sun!

Alfie runs out into the garden and lies in a certain spot. He doesn't tend to sleep there, but sits watching birds, leaves fluttering or just generally relaxing. :)

Ouch! Could not imagine the sun with a black coat. We lived in Las Vegas for awhile and our male Pekingese LOVED laying in the decorative rocks, talk about HOT! 100 degrees and he wanted to lay in the hot rocks. Maybe it is a male thing.
Becky

Both of my boys love sunbathing, but neither of my girls do. And Oz, my tricolor has a blanket coat so he is all black on his back. He gets incredibly hot, but he just loves to lie down in that hot sun!

Awwwww what a cute picture that would be. Toby is either sun bathing or eating grass, dirt or digging(thank goodness we have hard ground) but UGH! It is stressful for me to keep his mouth clear LOL
Becky

Alfie runs out into the garden and lies in a certain spot. He doesn't tend to sleep there, but sits watching birds, leaves fluttering or just generally relaxing. :)

Oh he does that too Becky :(...... twigs, leaves, soil, anything really. I seem to say 'leave it' all the time. He does appear to have controlled his cigarette butt habit when we are out walking now though lol.The other day, to my horror, we were in the fields and he grabbed a mouthful of cow poo !!!!!!!!!

icon_devil

Oh yes, Murphy is a sun worshiper. He would spend all day lying in the sun if I let him. We don't get many really hot days in Scotland, but when we do I need to drag him in as he would just overheat. He also looks for sun spots in the house and lies in them.

Misty on the other hand is smart, she lies out for a bit, and then wanders into the kitchen and lies on the cold floor.

OH NO! I would have freaked out! So glad he has kicked the nasty habit, I was gonna tell you to sue the cigarette companies LOL
So far the grossest things he's picked up are worms from inside the grass or ants. Of course he knows he is doing bad so he will try to hurry to eat it before I can get to it. His leave it is good on certain things and horrible at others, leaving the grass alone OH HECK NO! He has drop it down pretty good with his toys but not on the things he knows he should not have.

Oh he does that too Becky :(...... twigs, leaves, soil, anything really. I seem to say 'leave it' all the time. He does appear to have controlled his cigarette butt habit when we are out walking now though lol.The other day, to my horror, we were in the fields and he grabbed a mouthful of cow poo !!!!!!!!!

icon_devil

Personally I don't let my dogs lie out in the sun for too long because it isn't very good for them. Dogs can get heatstroke and can also dehydrate. The whole colours and heavily marked tris get particularly hot, but many blenheims and tris have quite thin fur round their nose and mouth (the skin shows pink) and this can get sunburnt. A little sunbathing is enjoyable, but just as with children, don't let them overdo it.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Hi

When my Ami and Tammi were here they both used to lie in the sun for hours and they never ever got burnt not
even their noses and they were my two pure white cats .

Read my post again, Brian - I never said that animals lying in the sun burnt, I said they can get heatstroke. And it's not their noses that can get sunburnt, it's the little bits of almost bare skin around their noses, which many Blenheims have and that can get sore. Short-haired white breeds such as bull terriers are particularly vulnerable, but Cavaliers are also short-haired on their muzzles. Long-haired cats probably have more hair there, which protects them. A little dab of sunblock gives protection.

Kate, Oliver and Aled (who is definitely pink around his nose!)

Blondie does it first thing in the morning. She scratches the window of my appartment and wants to sit on the balcony in the sun just staring at things. :)

Would you just look at that :lol: and how about a little baseball cap to keep the sun off their noses?

Actually yesterday was so hot and clammy I didn't take Alfie out for a walk, just let him run in and out of the garden. Have you ever tried giving Toby ice cubes Becky? Alfie loves them as if they were a treat. Crunching them up and enjoying the coolness...... and the fact they slide aound making them a game too ! :smile:

Diana

Last edited:
Hello Kate

And read my post as I never made any ref to your post ,I just said "tongue in cheek " that my cats (no mention of Cavaliers ) never had their
noses burnt as with pure white cats that can be a problem ,and my cats were short haired .Lets not argue it was only a fun comment with no malice.

I wonder if Toby would keep a cap on :) Actually last night we gave Toby an ice cube for the first time. He loved it! At first he didn't know what to do with it but then got the hang of it. We took him for a walk last night and he got the zooms on the leash. Not a good combo! He yanked the leash, ran everywhere twisting and turning. We had a hard time keeping up with his zooms. When we got home he collapsed and fell asleep. It was a great way to end the day LOL My husband didn't have to play to much last night LOL
I'm sorry you were not able to go for a walk but at least Alfie has the garden :) Today is supposed to be 80 degrees here. Not as hot as other parts of the country but for us its pretty warm. Especially when our homes do not come with AC. We have a portable in our bedroom but the rest of the house is just fans.
Becky

Would you just look at that :lol: and how about a little baseball cap to keep the sun off their noses?

Actually yesterday was so hot and clammy I didn't take Alfie out for a walk, just let him run in and out of the garden. Have you ever tried giving Toby ice cubes Becky? Alfie loves them as if they were a treat. Crunching them up and enjoying the coolness...... and the fact they slide aound making them a game too ! :smile:

Diana

Diana

I just found out that ice water and ice cubes can be very dangerous! :yikesI guess it can give them bloat and cause death. I used to give mine some as a treat after a walk on warm days- oh and they loved them so much too.
The experts advise lots of cool fresh water and even a cool damp towel for them to lie on in order to cool down. Also you can let them stand in a little teeny tub of cool water to help them cool off.

But anyway, our Belle is an absolute sun worshipper, she would have been right at home in the days of the Pharaohs... our Bobby likes a good ol' roll in the grass but generally likes the shade. They both have completely black backs. It's very endearing how dogs love the good weather like we do! Sometimes I see them sprawled out in the grass and I want to join them, but, alas, I have work to do.:|

UGH! just another thing I have started giving Toby that we now have to give up:( We just started it too, at least he isn't obsessed with it yet.
Thank you for letting us know.
Becky

I just found out that ice water and ice cubes can be very dangerous! :yikesI guess it can give them bloat and cause death. I used to give mine some as a treat after a walk on warm days- oh and they loved them so much too.
The experts advise lots of cool fresh water and even a cool damp towel for them to lie on in order to cool down. Also you can let them stand in a little teeny tub of cool water to help them cool off.

But anyway, our Belle is an absolute sun worshipper, she would have been right at home in the days of the Pharaohs... our Bobby likes a good ol' roll in the grass but generally likes the shade. They both have completely black backs. It's very endearing how dogs love the good weather like we do! Sometimes I see them sprawled out in the grass and I want to join them, but, alas, I have work to do.:|

Oh no !!! :( I have read several articles, that you should take a puppy's water bowl up after say 8pm ( when potty training ) but if it is very warm and they seem thirsty, to offer an ice cube as it melts slowly but there is little water volume. Ive also seen tips on this forum to offer ice cubes ( hot weather thread ) It seems this is not good advice then??

Last edited:
Back