• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Limping on leg

BrooklynMom

So tonight, and a little bit yesterday, Brooklyn has had a slight limp to her, but then it would disappear. Tonight, she was fine all day at the park, then we we got home she was limping a little again, but this time we could tell it was favoring her right front leg. Then, bless her heart, she walked right up to us and held her right front paw in the air as if to say "this is what hurts mama". So we laid her down and poked and prodded. No amount of touching or stretching seemed to get an uncomfortable reaction from her (she actually fell asleep!). And after a few hours, she woke up and got up to go outside for her goodnight potty break, she did limp, favored that front right paw clearly, then after about 5 min, was walking normal again and just walked right into her crate to go to sleep.

It is almost like a soft limp, not a sharp pain limp if that makes sense (like if your foot was asleep vs. broken) like a slight wobble/favoring in the front...barely...then goes away.

I am so confused?? And don't worry, I am of to the vet tomorrow morning, but just wanted to write on here in case someone has seen this before or has any questions for me to make sure to bring up to the vet. It is hard, because I know I will go in to the vet and Brooky will be so exited she won't limp and judging from my own "physical exam" she dosent have pain when you squeeze or touch.

Ugh, I feel like I am in the vet every week. Last week the nurses said that they think Brooky is their most regular customer! (last week was for a referral to a neurologist to get her SM type symptoms sorted). I am just trying to breathe, but I feel like my poor baby is jumping hurdle after hurdle. If it's not one thing, it is the next, and this limp has me wondering and filled with nerves about what now :( I just want her to be able to have some peace for a little while poor sweet thing. She is so adorable too, I mean what 9 month old dog walks up to you to show you what paw hurts?!

I'll let you know what the vet says, but any random thought if anyone has them would be great. Off to sleep now!

Someone just mentioned their pup limping after a possible tick bite. I think it was Lynn commenting on Blondie. I know you mentioned a tick in the last few days. Certainly worth mentioning to the Vet tomorrow. What did the neurologist say?

Sophie has had two spells of limping. We stop all distance walking to give her leg a rest, and after a week or two she's fine. The first time, I took her to the vet, who checked her out and suggested that maybe she sprained it or pulled a muscle. We usually get into some rather exuberant games of fetch and chase in the house, so 'sliding into home base' or crashing into furniture probably brought on Sophie's injuries.

Someone just mentioned their pup limping after a possible tick bite. I think it was Lynn commenting on Blondie. I know you mentioned a tick in the last few days. Certainly worth mentioning to the Vet tomorrow. What did the neurologist say?

Yes. Limping can be a sign of lhyme... It tends to switch legs too. See if the vet finds anything first, then maybe u can do the snap test, just to make sure.. It could also be a bit of a strain or anything else innocent. Sending brooky love! P. S i totally know what u mean with the et thing. Ive been at the vet 14 times in theast year. Yikes.

Ha, Lynn, you might beat me for vet visits....but just barely! Our poor little things.

Brooklyn woke up this morning with no favoring of her right front leg (but is has been going on and off so who knows what the rest of the day will hold). So I am watching her. She wasn't that into her walk this morning, not limping or pulling or anything, just really slow. Like she was tired and wanted a nap. Sure enough, when we got home she crawled on my lap and went to sleep :l*v: But though this is cute, I also am noting this is a bit "off" in regular Brooky behavior, all of which get noted down on a piece of paper for when I talk to the vet. As you guys know, Brooklyn has been snuggling with itchy skin, bity legs, SM type symptoms (minus the yelping or air guitar type stuff). The vet has referred us to a neurologist (we haven't gone yet, appointment waiting to be made) and while that is happening, our vet (who is super proactive, I heart her) is trying to watch everything else...like, are all these things linked? Are we missing something? She gnaws her right front leg and right back leg...but no test came back with anything or skin disease/infection/mites nothing. Now the leg limp (but only in the right front). This morning, also, she threw up yellow like foam...oye. But that was followed by grass that came up, so the vet just thought she munched on too much grass at the park because she is fine now (ate brekkie, drinks, pees and poos are normal).

SO, yeah. There is just SO much going on with her right now. I think it is all linked somehow. I spoke with the vet today on the phone and will see her tomorrow. She wasnt too worried about the front leg as an emergency because if it was a paralysis tick, we would have seen way more signs by now, and she shows no pain when I pull/prod her (just a "foots asleep" kind movement when she walks sometimes).

So the mystery continues. Ugh. We will be off to the neuro in the next week or two, but in the mean time I am also going to continue working on these strange things with my GP vet (she is also tying in with the neuro the whole time) just to keep a strong eye on everything.

I am by nature a worrier, but I do know in my gut...something is not right. She has this look to her, her energy, everything. She is just off right now. I wish she could talk to me!!

Thanks for all your thoughts guys...bringing up all of it to the vet.

I agree, she doesn't sound like she's doing okay and that it's much more than a pulled muscle. I hope the docs can figure it out, and soon.

Oh no...poor Brooklyn. Sure hope it is something simple and easily treatable. Maybe early onset arthritis. Sydney started with arthritis before age 1. :( Keep us informed on how she's feeling and what the vets say.

Last edited:
Hate to say this, but the first obvious sign Oliver had of his SM (diagnosed a year earlier at age 6, but in retrospect there were problems before then) was stumbling on his right front leg. A visit to a neurologist revealed that he had no nerve reactions in the leg. Since he's been on gabapentin the stumbling has more or less stopped except when he's very tired after a walk, but he doesn't feel comfortable sitting for too long - which puts strain on the front legs - and tends to lie down as much as possible when stopping to talk to people, waiting at bus stops etc. I think you need to make that neurologist's appointment.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I am praying so hard it is nothing serious

I dream of a day that we do not all have to worry so much about this... Praying for you both.

Thanks everyone for all of your thoughts.
The vet is calling me back today with more info on the neurologist...the woman we are seeing is very sought after her in Australia, and really hard to get into. But my vet knows her and has been talking with her over the phone, explaining everything about Brooky's symptoms and showing her videos so she sees that this is a "we need to get this checked out asap kind of case". So, thankfully my vet said she will be able to get us in really soon with a few string pulling, but she will call me back today with the appointment times on offer. My hubby and I are heading away from August 15th through the 25th though, so I hope I can get stuff tended to a little before we leave (Brooklyn is staying with our close friends who have a cavalier Brooklyns age (you guys have seen pics) so I am really grateful of that since they know everything going on and Brooky will be happy and comfortable with her bestie Ruby). But it is definitely off to the neuro, don't worry. I am actually really grateful because the only registered neurologist in Australia is in Sydney and that is who we are going to see...Dr. Georgina Child. I have heard wonderful things about her, and know we will be in good hands.

Kate, that is interesting about Oliver, thank you for sharing. Sometimes I don't know what to note down as an SM sign I am witnessing or another issue, so that is really helpful to me to be able to say that this might in fact be an SM sign when I speak with the docs. Not that I want all these things to be SM signs, but I am prepared for that outcome and feel more armed with information when I know "no, that is not normal and it can be a sign of SM".

Debra, thank you so much for you sweet words, and even taking the time to write when you have so much going on today! I am thinking of you and waiting for a Gracie update. Prayers for you guys.

I will keep you all posted. We will have a "consult" with the neuro first, then an MRI based off that. Ugh. Brooklyn is a strong little soul though, she will get through this process and hopefully some answered questions will help attend to some of these symptoms.
Hugs to you guys, it is really nice to have the support of this board...whatever we are up against.

Just to say I am thinking of you and Brooklyn. There seem to be a lot of limping Cavaliers on the Forum at the moment.

Thanks for checking in guys...and all the support.

Brooklyn has been booked into the neurologist for August 30th (my hubby and I are out of town for two weeks starting Monday). The vet does not think anything as of right now is an emergency and she is reluctant to do anything in case it masks the symptoms (if the are SM symptoms) for the neuro as she wants the neuro to have the full clear picture. So we are just keeping an eye on everything and if something changes we go in again, but for now the next step in the neuro.

On a side note though, her limping is not at noticeable today which is good. It is definitely is a "sign" or symptom to note though and the vet called the neuro to add it to her background notes. Everyone is very involved and I feel like I have a good team, which I am thankful for.

Brooklyn on the other hand, is tail wagging and snuggle bear. She is such a doll. I can tell when she is "off", but she just keeps on loving, bless her heart :)

Will keep updates coming.

Back