• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Advice please for claw clipping and ear brush

Hi, I need a few tips please. We have 2 Cavaliers, Prince (8 years) and Charlie (3 years)
My husband and myself are pensioners on a limited income, so are doing some of the jobs ourselves with the dogs now.
I have taken to grooming them myself, and am getting quite good at it. They don't have a problem at all with letting me do this. I have a Wahl Groomer.
I need some advice on clipping their claws and also (not as urgent) The best brush for brushing their ears! I have a metal comb and also one of those brushes with the long and the smaller inner prongs. But Charlies ears always look so lank with no shine, and sometimes the comb pulls hair out, so a recommendation for a good brush would be welcome.
Clipping their claws is a Nightmare. Both of them hate having their feet touched and Charlie growls and snaps as soon as he hears the "click" of the clippers. (We have the ones with the shield at the back, so you can't cut into the wick) I have tried just sitting with them and touching their feet whilt clicking the clippers, but nothing seems to work. I am worried about putting a musle on any of them, but I am very nervous when trying to clip them. Also, is this the best type of nail clipper to use?
Any ides would be very welcome :huh:

I do have a brush reccomendation, but it is not cheap! Though, it was the best brush I ever bought for Brooklyn, makes he so shiny and soft!!
It is a Pocket Size Pure Boar Bristle Mason Pearson Brush. You can google it to find one to buy near you or in your country, but to see it go here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0H48A2XQY2HE3QEZ7H6K

As for nails, I don't do mine because I am too scared. Best to have a vet show you in person I would think. :)

Thanks for the advice BrooklynMom, We have amazon here in the UK so I will check out the brush. I think maybe we will have to take them to the vets or the Groomers to have their toes clipped! They have never bitten us, but Charlie just really jumps when the clippers make the clicking sound when it cuts the nail, and he just sort of warns us I suppose, with a little snapping of the jaw and a little growl at the same time, seems more like fear than aggression. I was wondering what they would have to do in the same situation at the groomers or the vets, would they have to put a muzzle on them?

Are you rewarding them with treats when you are doing the touch and click acclimatisation with the clippers? You need to try and make them associate the clippers with something good, and try to be confident when you do it - hard I know! It may be possible that Charlie's actually had the quick nipped once or twice at the groomers, and he's remembering it hurts?

Rosemary

Thanks rosy, Charlie has never been to the groomers, but Prince always used to go, and they never told us of any problems. We just can't afford it anymore. I have stopped my husband from trying to clip their nails though, as i don't think he has enough patience, and I suspect he may have accidently cut into the quick. I will try as you suggested with treats, but if i don't have any success, I will have to take them to the vets or the groomers. Do you know anyone who cuts their cavies nails themselves, and if so, do they have a preference as to the type of clippers? I have the type where there is a shield at the back to stop you cutting too much off. But my husband used to put that to one side and said it got in the way. That is why I stopped him doing it. I have just sent for some others to try. I went on you tube and typed in how to clip dogs nails and there were some videos of it. one of them showed a different type of clipper, a two handle lever action just the same, but the blade bit looks just like a hole that you slide the nail into and it has a sort of sliding cutting action and didn't make a clicking sound. My husband says Charlie jumps up before he has even cut the nail, he does it as soon as he feels the pressure of the cutters on his nail. He is a more nervy dog than Prince. Always wants to be snuggled up to one of us. But I love that.
Thanks for the advice and I will let you know how I get on

I clip Kokoda's nails myself. He is just a puppy (wel, 6 months) so he is still getting used to them. He is a bit like your dogs at the moment.

I have 2 pairs. One like this : http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=g...0&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0&biw=1280&bih=595

and one like this: http://www.worldforpets.com.au/products/product_detail.asp?ID=1254

I personally prefer the second pair, because they cut through the nail easier. And i find that it is easier to see the part of the nail you are cutting. But either works well. You just have to find out which style is easiest for you to use.
Also, i would have some styptic powder on hand, just in case you cut the quick.

As for getting them used to being handled, i would put them on the couch next to you, (or sit with them on the floor if they aren't allowed on the couch!) and play with their paws while feeding them some tasty treats. Once they are comfortable doing this introduce the nail clippers. Just sit them on the dogs paw, give him a treat and take them off again. Repeat this until he doesn't take notice of the clippers touching the top of his paw. Then start making the noise with the clippers. treats again. And then take your time with clipping the nails. Maybe one a day and lots of treats and cuddles while and after you are doing it.
and just take a small bit off the tip to begin with :) Hope this helps a bit!

Thank you very much denali. The clippers in the second link are the ones I already have, and the ones in the first link are the ones I have just sent for on e bay. they are a good make (Wahl) so I am hoping I will have more success with them? Thank you for all your tips. I have been playing with his feet for a couple of weeks now, and most of the time he is fine with it, but sometimes he pulls away (not sure if he could be ticklish or not. lol) I will try putting them on his feet next, as soon as they are delivered. we are both pensioners now, and I have back problems, so we have a TV in the bedroom, We tend to get comfy on the bed. So I put a cover on the bed when I am grooming the dogs as it is just the right height for me. I then clean up with a special dyson hand held animal vacuum that we have.
I think I may have to resort to cutting up littles squares of cheese as the treats, as he is such a fusspot with his food too. Prince will eat virtually anything we put in front of him, although we give him High oats, by Burns, as he is overweight. We can't get Charlie off his puppy food though. He has Burns Minibites, which are very very small. We have tried numerous others, mixing them in a few at a time, but with no success. But what he does is so funny we just have to laugh at him. he picks out any new kibble that we try and drops it on the floor, then starts to rub it into the floor with the sides of his mouth?
As soon as I get on the bed to watch TV, charlie jumps up and snuggles at the side of me, so that's when I will try your tips. Thanks very much again.

Back