• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Update on surgery tomorrow and University of Florida facility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh sigh of relief that at least the surgery part is over. I know there is such a long road in front of you, your husband and little Gracie still, but I am happy that she made it through surgery okay. I was so restless last night while sleeping. I told my husband about all of this when we were laying in bed about to drift off, about an hour before her surgery, and we both just laid there and sent every prayer, thought and hug for healing to Gracie that we could.

I'm with everyone else, keep her in there as long as possible. Nothing will be better pain management wise and observing wise that having her there, so the longer the better I think. If we think about a human having this surgery, they would keep them in there ages, and I know she will be fine either way, but I think best to push for as long as she can that is still realistic.

Well whew. I am just glad to hear these updates, keep them coming. Hugs to little Gracie, give her a cuddle from Brooky and I!!

So glad she is out! :wggle:

I guess my worry is that it seems terribly early to take home a dog that has had decompression, much less mesh surgery -- as Nicki notes, other neurologists have said to wait at least three days because they can get brain swelling/bleeding within that timeframe -- rare but it would be a serious emergency. I thought LIVS keep them a week or two post surgery as the mesh surgery is far more invasive than the regular decompression -- a whole serious of screws are sunk into the skull. There's no way I would take her before Thursday and even that seems extraordinarily fast but maybe the concerns about post op care have changed as the surgery has become more common. :confused: I know some here have had this surgery at LIVS -- maybe someone can come back about the time the dog is kept in.

YEAY so happy to hear Gracie made it through the surgery!!!!

As for the hospital stay, in May of 2010, Dr. Marino of LIVS recommended this surgery for my Jack. One of my million questions was hospital stay and he told me that Jack would need to stay with them for minimum of 5 days. However, maybe things have changed since then, hopefully she gets to stay until Thursday, if not perhaps you can stay with Gracie in the area for a few days, just to be on the safe side.

Again so happy step 1 of this is over. I truly admire your bravery throughout this whole ordeal. Keep the updates coming but also relax and take some "me" time; you deserve it.

We are ready to fight to keep her there longer

Long list of excuses to use if needed.... We are crafty too! He he!!!

I don't blaim you. After all she has been through, I wouldn't want to take any chances.

GraciesMom
We are ready to fight to keep her there longerLong list of excuses to use if needed.... We are crafty too! He he!!!

Just tell them everyone on Cavalier Talk thinks she needs to stay in longer....That'll get them. :roll:

But, just want to say that I am so glad Gracie did well during the surgery. You have done an amazing job researching and taking care of her. As others have already said, phase one is over, take a deep breath and then start on phase two. As always, we are all here for you, Gracie, and your hubby, who I always fail to mention!

Just wondering how the rest of the afternoon and evening went? Were you sblr to see Gracie. Truly, Thursday does seem very early.....but as someone else suggested, maybe staying in the area for a few days beyond that. When is follow up?

So happy to hear that the surgery went well. Still sending you and your family lots of good wishes and hugs.

Hello
You must be glad the surgery and anticipation is now over.
I would advise to take her out only after 5 days, and if she is eating, walking and her demeanor is bright.
But bear in mind that complication can still manifest 14 days after surgery.

Speaking from experience.
Daffymum

The vet tech just called. Gracie is doing fine...

She took her out for a quick potty and still no poop yet. She also did not eat much...just a little. They think pain meds are a factor in this and cutting it back. She was a little perky...and did walk around the clinic more today. They are taking her off IV and she may now drink water. I told then that the water here tastes very different and bottled water may be better option. This is near ocean so kinda salty tasting. We are going over to see her at 3 pm and will feed her if not eating well yet.

New plan of action today...

Was hard to sleep without her nearby.... But finally dozed off about 1 am.
We have talked to the resident and Dr Schubert. They think she is just too unhappy to eat. Seems nervous. So he thinks she will recover better with us nearby. So we have developed a new plan of action with him. If she is still stable at 3 pm but not eating and still overly anxious, we will check her out to hotel next door and stay here 2 days at least. The resident will come check on her 3 times a day. The hotel is right across street. Pricier but worth it. This is apparently what they usually do and found it helps recovery substantially. So... Guess we will try it.

:hug:I'm sure Gracie is just missing her mommy! I know for a fact Holly became very depressed while she was at the vet on an IV. They were concerned about her not really eating but I was sure it was because she was depressed. Once she came home she had an appetite like a horse! That is SO great that they will come to the hotel next door to check on her! I'm sure that will really lift her spirits to be near you!

I remember Ella would not eat the first weekend. We had a hard time getting her out of her kennel even with cheese to have her relieve herself. Then after a few days, I had a hard time (like others mentioned) getting her to keep restricted. She seemed to recovery quite fast but it was VERY important to keep activity restricted which was very difficult. I am sure Gracie will be back to her normal self, but I am glad she is staying at the hospital to get monitored. Better them than you :) but I know you want her with you. When you see her, it will be a shock because she will have a Zipperhead. Looks worse than it is and hair grows back fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back