• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Surgery Day

SophieLightyear

Hi All,
Today is the day of Benjis surgery. He went in at half 8 this morning and by about half 10, i got a phone call from the surgeon to say everything went really well and he'll be home this evening.
I'm glad he's doing okay and that's he recovering well from the anesthetic. All i'm worried about now is making sure his after care is top notch so he doesn't cause himself any more harm.
We got him a cage to keep him in for the first few days so he stays safe but after that i'm confused and lost. The surgeon said we'll talk more about it when we pick him up later but i just want the best for Benji.
He's a lively little thing and goes nuts when he thinks someone is coming to the house and i don't want him to cause more harm to his leg by doing this.
Any suggestions would be AMAZING!!!!

Thanks. :)

So pleased it went well and Benji is on his way home today :cool:

The surgeon should give you more aftercare information, but if you do a search on the forum for similar operations, there is lots f advice about management.

I think I missed previous posts on this, can you refresh my memory on the surgery he had???

Glad to hear it went well though!

I didn't want to read an run, and sorry I'm unsure of what surgery Benji was having - but I'm glad to hear it went well and I hope he has a speedy recovery :)

Glad Benji is doing well. The shureon will give you tips about his care. Maybe a xpen will give him more room without allowing him to move about alot.

Wow, that was really fast! I'm so glad he tolerated the anesthesia so well. That's always my concern with any kind of surgery, but Benji came through with flying colors. I wouldn't worry about him racing to the door at least for the first few days. He'll know that he can't do it, and he's still going to feel kind of out of it. Attaching an x-pen to his crate is an excellent idea if he has to be crated for any length of time. Hopefully they'll give you detailed instructions when you pick him up. Sorry i can't help but I have no experience with this kind of surgery. I'm so glad he'll be home with you tonight though. Maybe keep his crate by your bed tonight so you know if he's in pain. Good luck.

Hugs to you and Benji

Thank you for updating us....I think you and I have same challenge of keeping our babies from being too active too fast.

Glad it all went well. Ebony was on 3 different tablets after the operation one was morphine and one was antibiotics. I am sure the surgeon will talk to you about after care. For us there was no walking outside for a few month then we saw the physio then it build up to 3 times a day for 5 min lead walking. Then eventually hydro. But Ebony had 50% muscle wastage. Most important thing is NOT to let them jump up on sofa and no stairs for a long long while.

It's not as bad as you think. Trust me.

For the people who didn't know, Benji had luxating patella surgery on his back left leg!!

He's now home and can't stand on his own. Me and my mom just had to take him outside to see if he needed to pee but he wouldn't go. We're going to try him again in a little bit as hearing him yelp is heart breaking, he looks so sad.

Oh poor little benji. I agree that attaching an x pen (with maybe a Pee pad in the far corner if he is having a hard time going out side at the moment) to give him some more space. It's not the same, but we did this with Brooklyn when she got desexed (she had some complications so was a bit worse off and 13 stitches deep...so a bit longer to recover) and it helped her a lot. She didnt want to walk or pee outside the first 3-5 days, so just taking the "chore" out of it for her and letting her use pee pads and a bit more space with the x pen was a life saver, for both of us I think.

Hug to benji!!

Morning all!!
Benji is doing so much better this morning. Last night he managed to start hobbling around on three legs. Not doing very much but could get to the back door to let us know he wanted to go outside. We're having to pick him up to take him outside but he's doing good. Feeling much more like himself this morning. He can move around on his own, so we're going to try and get him into his cage as we couldn't do it last night.
I'm so proud of my little man and how well he's coping. :)

Back