• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

This is what happens when good breeders talk about health.

So I paid $2 to get book, but now I have to wait for it to be mailed. By the time a genuine puppy buyer gets information, I bet they found a non club breeder who was one click away. I'm in a bad mood sorry.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

What do you mean by no price difference? In puppies?

I mean that the out of pocket expense is the same for the breeder. If they get hearts checked and start breeding at 2 years old (I believe that is the ACKSC suggested age), or if they hold off till the dog is 2.5 years old before breeding.
They still only have to pay for the auscultation, so the excuse that testing is too expensive doesn't hold for MVD.

Can I just say that I went to the mail (after I spent $2 on puppy buying guide which I heard was not great) and got a package with all of this cavalier information, guides, health, etc from a breeder that I will not say on public forum but rod knows who I'm talking about. There are some that really stand out (not just this one) but others that take time to educate people when they call, and yes there are some that spend a lot of money on testing, driving, organizing clinics and so I say thank you to them.

She paid money to help educate others but I had to pay money for other.

I just heard about a Cavalier in the midwest (U.S.) that lived in good health for over 19 years. The owner bought another one from the same breeder. Are there serious efforts to identify breeders of dogs with exceptional longevity to generate more healthy puppies and save the breed?

Can I just say that I went to the mail (after I spent $2 on puppy buying guide which I heard was not great) and got a package with all of this cavalier information, guides, health, etc from a breeder that I will not say on public forum but rod knows who I'm talking about. There are some that really stand out (not just this one) but others that take time to educate people when they call, and yes there are some that spend a lot of money on testing, driving, organizing clinics and so I say thank you to them.

She paid money to help educate others but I had to pay money for other.

That breeder sounds like what Pat Winters (Cobblestone Cavaliers) of Suffolk, Virginia does. Anne Eckersley (Chadwick Cavaliers) of Hawleyville, Connecticut does, too. They've been doing things like that since the early 1990s at least, maybe earlier than that. They have been called "health nazis" by other long-time cavalier breeders who are contemptuous of them caring enough about the breed's severe genetic health disorders to actually faithfully follow the breeding protocols.

That breeder sounds like what Pat Winters (Cobblestone Cavaliers) of Suffolk, Virginia does. Anne Eckersley (Chadwick Cavaliers) of Hawleyville, Connecticut does, too. They've been doing things like that since the early 1990s at least, maybe earlier than that. They have been called "health nazis" by other long-time cavalier breeders who are contemptuous of them caring enough about the breed's severe genetic health disorders to actually faithfully follow the breeding protocols.

Maybe they could get regional club website updated because it doesn't even mention SM!! (Also notice age)

http://www.eastcoastcavalierbreeders.com/East%20Coast%20Questions%20to%20Ask%20Breeder.html

Getting back a bit to where this thread started, there was an interesting bit in the Irish Setter notes in Our Dogs paper recently. Six dogs have been diagnosed with a hereditary disease called Late Onset Progressive Retinal Atrophy (Cavalier eye tests are for early onset PRA). So what do Irish Setter breeders do? The club chairman issues a statement explaining the situation, stating that the Animal Health Trust is hoping to develop a DNA test in the near future 'and when it is available the scale of the problem in the breed can be assessed and an appropriate strategy to eradicate the condition can begin. Until that time the Committee advises against panic and il-informed rumour. While [this] is a serious and unwanted development, we should take heart that previous genetic problems in the breed [the eradication of night blindness is a classic example of good practice] have been conquered by dedicated breeders implementing controlled breeding schemes, and there is no reason to doubt an eradication programme, when launched, will be successful.'

A second statement lists the six dogs already identified by name, and says 'These names are being published with the permission of their owners/breeders in a spirit of openness in order to alert responsible owners and breeders and to prevent the propagation of unfounded rumours.' And I have no doubt that when the DNA test appears it will be a BVA/KC scheme (of the kind planned for CM/SM in Cavaliers) and the dogs tested will be named in the Kennel Gazette and have the result added to their registration papers.

If Irish Setter breeders can tackle a health problem in this way, why oh why can't Cavalier breeders??

Kate (and Oliver and Aled on holiday)

Getting back a bit to where this thread started, there was an interesting bit in the Irish Setter notes in Our Dogs paper recently. Six dogs have been diagnosed with a hereditary disease called Late Onset Progressive Retinal Atrophy (Cavalier eye tests are for early onset PRA). So what do Irish Setter breeders do? The club chairman issues a statement explaining the situation, stating that the Animal Health Trust is hoping to develop a DNA test in the near future 'and when it is available the scale of the problem in the breed can be assessed and an appropriate strategy to eradicate the condition can begin. Until that time the Committee advises against panic and il-informed rumour. While [this] is a serious and unwanted development, we should take heart that previous genetic problems in the breed [the eradication of night blindness is a classic example of good practice] have been conquered by dedicated breeders implementing controlled breeding schemes, and there is no reason to doubt an eradication programme, when launched, will be successful.'

A second statement lists the six dogs already identified by name, and says 'These names are being published with the permission of their owners/breeders in a spirit of openness in order to alert responsible owners and breeders and to prevent the propagation of unfounded rumours.' And I have no doubt that when the DNA test appears it will be a BVA/KC scheme (of the kind planned for CM/SM in Cavaliers) and the dogs tested will be named in the Kennel Gazette and have the result added to their registration papers.

If Irish Setter breeders can tackle a health problem in this way, why oh why can't Cavalier breeders??

Kate (and Oliver and Aled on holiday)

Back to the point. That's a really good example. There some others like that I think too.

Back