Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: This is what happens when good breeders talk about health.

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    2,091
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default

    So I paid $2 to get book, but now I have to wait for it to be mailed. By the time a genuine puppy buyer gets information, I bet they found a non club breeder who was one click away. I'm in a bad mood sorry.

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sion, Switzerland
    Posts
    871
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anniemac View Post
    What do you mean by no price difference? In puppies?

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    I mean that the out of pocket expense is the same for the breeder. If they get hearts checked and start breeding at 2 years old (I believe that is the ACKSC suggested age), or if they hold off till the dog is 2.5 years old before breeding.
    They still only have to pay for the auscultation, so the excuse that testing is too expensive doesn't hold for MVD.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    2,091
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default

    Can I just say that I went to the mail (after I spent $2 on puppy buying guide which I heard was not great) and got a package with all of this cavalier information, guides, health, etc from a breeder that I will not say on public forum but rod knows who I'm talking about. There are some that really stand out (not just this one) but others that take time to educate people when they call, and yes there are some that spend a lot of money on testing, driving, organizing clinics and so I say thank you to them.

    She paid money to help educate others but I had to pay money for other.

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    193
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I just heard about a Cavalier in the midwest (U.S.) that lived in good health for over 19 years. The owner bought another one from the same breeder. Are there serious efforts to identify breeders of dogs with exceptional longevity to generate more healthy puppies and save the breed?

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando, Florida USA
    Posts
    1,246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anniemac View Post
    Can I just say that I went to the mail (after I spent $2 on puppy buying guide which I heard was not great) and got a package with all of this cavalier information, guides, health, etc from a breeder that I will not say on public forum but rod knows who I'm talking about. There are some that really stand out (not just this one) but others that take time to educate people when they call, and yes there are some that spend a lot of money on testing, driving, organizing clinics and so I say thank you to them.

    She paid money to help educate others but I had to pay money for other.
    That breeder sounds like what Pat Winters (Cobblestone Cavaliers) of Suffolk, Virginia does. Anne Eckersley (Chadwick Cavaliers) of Hawleyville, Connecticut does, too. They've been doing things like that since the early 1990s at least, maybe earlier than that. They have been called "health nazis" by other long-time cavalier breeders who are contemptuous of them caring enough about the breed's severe genetic health disorders to actually faithfully follow the breeding protocols.
    Rod Russell

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    2,091
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RodRussell View Post
    That breeder sounds like what Pat Winters (Cobblestone Cavaliers) of Suffolk, Virginia does. Anne Eckersley (Chadwick Cavaliers) of Hawleyville, Connecticut does, too. They've been doing things like that since the early 1990s at least, maybe earlier than that. They have been called "health nazis" by other long-time cavalier breeders who are contemptuous of them caring enough about the breed's severe genetic health disorders to actually faithfully follow the breeding protocols.
    Maybe they could get regional club website updated because it doesn't even mention SM!! (Also notice age)

    http://www.eastcoastcavalierbreeders.com/East%20Coast%20Questions%20to%20Ask%20Breeder.html


    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    2,091
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anniemac View Post
    Maybe they could get regional club website updated because it doesn't even mention SM!! (Also notice age)

    http://www.eastcoastcavalierbreeders...20Breeder.html


    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    However,

    Since I know these two fought to keep mvd protocol age at 2 1/2 but had no luck, I don't think they could.

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Coventry UK
    Posts
    1,907
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Getting back a bit to where this thread started, there was an interesting bit in the Irish Setter notes in Our Dogs paper recently. Six dogs have been diagnosed with a hereditary disease called Late Onset Progressive Retinal Atrophy (Cavalier eye tests are for early onset PRA). So what do Irish Setter breeders do? The club chairman issues a statement explaining the situation, stating that the Animal Health Trust is hoping to develop a DNA test in the near future 'and when it is available the scale of the problem in the breed can be assessed and an appropriate strategy to eradicate the condition can begin. Until that time the Committee advises against panic and il-informed rumour. While [this] is a serious and unwanted development, we should take heart that previous genetic problems in the breed [the eradication of night blindness is a classic example of good practice] have been conquered by dedicated breeders implementing controlled breeding schemes, and there is no reason to doubt an eradication programme, when launched, will be successful.'

    A second statement lists the six dogs already identified by name, and says 'These names are being published with the permission of their owners/breeders in a spirit of openness in order to alert responsible owners and breeders and to prevent the propagation of unfounded rumours.' And I have no doubt that when the DNA test appears it will be a BVA/KC scheme (of the kind planned for CM/SM in Cavaliers) and the dogs tested will be named in the Kennel Gazette and have the result added to their registration papers.

    If Irish Setter breeders can tackle a health problem in this way, why oh why can't Cavalier breeders??

    Kate (and Oliver and Aled on holiday)

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando, Florida USA
    Posts
    1,246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anniemac View Post
    Maybe they could get regional club website updated because it doesn't even mention SM!! (Also notice age)
    That is what this webpage -- http://cavalierhealth.org/questions_for_breeder.htm -- is for.
    Rod Russell

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    2,091
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RodRussell View Post
    That is what this webpage -- http://cavalierhealth.org/questions_for_breeder.htm -- is for.
    I never go to this website? I've never read these questions. Just kidding! Really good tips on where to start to look.

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •