Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Value snacks

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default High Value snacks

We are in the middle of training Toby. So far we are giving little stars and blue buffalo training treats. Our trainer says that its good to have High value snacks too for distractions. I'm not sure what would be a good high value snack that is not high in grease, fat, calories and good for a dog. The trainer had us use cooked hot dogs, cheese and dog snacks. To tell you the truth the baggy smelled so bad that I actually felt sick. I'm not sure what kind of cheese he used or what form of hot dog but something was stinky. Trainer said he put it all together about 1/2 hr before class so it was fresh and refrigerated. Toby does get gas with high fatty treats especially moist treats.
    Any ideas of what to use during training?
    Becky

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if you get these in the US.

Royal Canin Educ. They are new here and they say that 33 of these treats are equivalent to one sausage or 20gram of cheese. I thought they won't be any good but my dogs love them and they smell of chicken.
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi
    Have a look at http://www.ziwipeak.com/nzl/home.shtml they are available in The US
    and my four all line up for them
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! We have Ziwipeak at our Local dog store. I will check it out!
    Becky

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Hi
    Have a look at http://www.ziwipeak.com/nzl/home.shtml they are available in The US
    and my four all line up for them

Post Thanks / Like

I use high value treats for practicing recall. Something like string cheese or hot dog tidbits, basically some sort of smelly people food that she would otherwise NEVER get from me. Its so useful if your dog learns the high value rewards only happen for things you need solid around distractions, because your dog has to make the decision which is more fun - going to you despite the distraction, or ignoring you and checking out the distraction. If you are not more interesting than the distraction, there is a problem!

Post Thanks / Like

never thought of string cheese. I know he gets gas very easy so I wasn't sure about cheese. I have turkey hot dogs and might try those too. We are practicing the name game and fast sits. He is doing ok with it but sometimes the leaves rolling down the street are just too tempting to look at me.
    Becky

Quote Originally Posted by Zumie05 View Post
    I use high value treats for practicing recall. Something like string cheese or hot dog tidbits, basically some sort of smelly people food that she would otherwise NEVER get from me. Its so useful if your dog learns the high value rewards only happen for things you need solid around distractions, because your dog has to make the decision which is more fun - going to you despite the distraction, or ignoring you and checking out the distraction. If you are not more interesting than the distraction, there is a problem!

Post Thanks / Like

We do have Royal Canin here not sure on the treats. I will have to look. Thank you!
    Becky

Quote Originally Posted by Sabby View Post
    I don't know if you get these in the US.

Royal Canin Educ. They are new here and they say that 33 of these treats are equivalent to one sausage or 20gram of cheese. I thought they won't be any good but my dogs love them and they smell of chicken.

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh yes, the leaves! One would always wonder why Brooklyn chooses leaves over chicken...but it happens!!! Ha.

Brooky gets roast chicken for her recall...and only ever gets it for recall. Once she knows I have it, she comes every time...but we also train constantly! At the dog park, we do it about 15-30 times every time. I also make her sit and wait once we get into the dog park. I show her the chicken, ask her to sit and stay, take off her leash and say stay again. She then has to sit and wait until I say "okay!" and give her a piece before she runs and plays. That way we start right away with discipline (not crazy, hyper with her running away first). I like to have the control from the get go. And when she gets that fist piece of chicken from the start, she knows that i have it and Every time she will get it when she comes to me (even if she comes to me without me saying it, she gets a piece...though i try to say "come" as she is running!). This way "I" always equal a super yummy reward every time.

Other treats...I second Brian, Ziwi peak makes her very happy. Cheese too, just small little bits is enough, not chunks. Kangaroo jerky and meat will make her do backflips though (don't think you can get that there!). It is SO scented with a meat smell that she knows when it is out a mile away! It is rare that we have it around though, so chicken is usually what we use

And as you already know, make sure to modify her breakfast and dinner if you are doing lots of training so he doesn't get fed too much! When she was younger i also sometimes just measured out Brooklyn's food for the day and used it through the day to train...now that is working for your breakfast!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the advice and ideas. I will buy the Ziwipeak and try some chicken. I like that idea better than hot dogs, not really fond of hot dogs but if the chicken doesn't work the I will try them. I have training pouches that go on your belt loop. I will have to put a plastic baggy inside it to use the chicken.
    Becky

Post Thanks / Like

To tell you the truth the baggy smelled so bad that I actually felt sick.
    I use a variety of treats when I train, several types of cheese, dried meats, etc. One of the treats I like to use is made with dried salmon. I personally don't like treat pouches because I can't get the treats out fast enough. I just toss the treats in my front pocket. You don't even want to know what dried salmon smells like when its been in your pocket for a while....dogs love smelly stuff.
    J. and pups, Gem, Monty, Harley and Sapphire