Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help if you can - MVD

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm so sorry to hear you have this diagnosis. You've had some good advice from people here , and there is lots of information throughout the forum on MVD ( Both in the library section, and if you search on MVD/hearts). Sadly, it is endemic and the number 1 cause of death in the breed and is extremely widespread–half of all Cavaliers will have a heart murmur by around age 5, and almost 100% will have it by the time they are age 10.

As with humans, this is not a condition which can be cured, but at least it is a very well understood disease and there are a selection of medications that can be introduced one after another as needed, and which can add many months and sometimes even years to a dog's life. It is really important to see a cardiologist if you can, because by the time a dog is coughing, the condition is fairly well along and you would want an accurate murmur grade–vets are not particularly accurate at giving grades. To me, a grade 3 might seem a bit low if your fellow is already coughing and needing a diuretic. The coughing generally means the dog may have gone into congestive heart failure and the heart is no longer working efficiently enough to keep fluid from gathering in the lungs. Nonetheless, many dogs can go for quite a while with this condition at this stage.

I recently lost my nearly 12-year-old Cavalier to MVD. Just to give some context, she had a murmur for many years, and lived for about 9 months after she started medications. In the end, she was on about 5, including 2 diuretics.

Getting any extra weight off is so critical–every extra ounce means the heart has to work considerably harder to supply all the extra blood vessels that need to run through the extra fat tissue, and the heart will work less efficiently, causing the dog to struggle. I would work to get that weight off in consultation with your vet.

There is a lot of information on this condition and managing it, here: http://cavalierhealth.org/mitral_valve_disease.htm
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default He is getting worse

Thank you all for your support since our first post. It has started to skink in with me now and everyday I see him getting worse.

I feel helpless and am having to hide how I feel for the sake of my family.
    We're back to the vets on Friday to check him over and get a x ray booked in. His back legs are struggling is this common ?

Many thanks for all of your advice xx

Post Thanks / Like

HI Nicola,

You are being so brave and believe me it amazing where you get the strength from to support your family...... Problems with legs can sometimes occur as their heart is under more load they can struggle to support their oen weight...... Your doing the right thing going back to the vets to get the complete picture , as I said before dont dismay cavaliers are amazing little dogs and they seem to adapt and with all your love and support Iam sure this will happen again.....

Good luck at the vets tommorow and let us know how you get on....

Hugs

Sharon and Scooby XXX

Post Thanks / Like

So sprey to hear about the back legs. I've read many posts here about folks commenting on back leg weakness with this disease. But I believe over time, and with the right Meds you'll see a difference.

Just wanted to say I'll be praying for a good outcome tomorrow.
    Cindy and Claire
    Claire was born on Feb7, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Default Update on wilbar

Hi everyone

Not good news I'm afraid we went to the vets and wilbar has to go into hospital for x ray full blood tests scan on Monday.

They want to determine how far advanced the mvd is,

I am struggling to get him to eat at the moment, he won't touch his food and has lost nearly half a kg in a week so scrambeled eggs for dinner I think .

We will know more on Monday night

Thanks everyone for support, we're still not telling our boys and my mum who is normally really good at advice and support just said oh well he might get better aahhhh bloody women.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Nicola,

So Sorry to hear the sad new about wilbur..........

I have a cavalier scooby with MVD he has been on meds for 19 months and there has been plenty of times when we thought we would lose him but hes still going and he has a grade 6 heart mumur.....

Dont give up hope there are some miracle medications that can give them a good quality of life so wait and see what your vet recommends , in the meantime give him lots of treats.........

Hugs
    Sharon and Scooby

Post Thanks / Like

Default So sorry to hear this about Wilbar

I know this is scary stuff. I hope he feels better soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Nicola
    Sorry to hear about Wilbar. MVD is scary but it can be controlled win medication. Sydney is 11 yrs old and has been on several medications since early this year and it has made a big difference in his health.

Don't be afraid of getting Wilbar tested......its a good thing. This way you know exactly what his condition ks and the doctors can give him the proper medicine.

Good luck and keep us posted. You are not alone here.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart