• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anyone feed raw??

We feed our three dogs raw - including our cav - until recently anyway. She's off it because its easier to control her weight when she's eating something different to the others, but apart from weight control everyone has done great on it!

I've been looking into dehydrated raw - just add water. (Because I'm located in such a rural area there's no frozen raw food for sale locally but I could easily order dehydrated online.) I'd like to try adding it to kibble as a supplement. Has anyone tried dehydrated raw?

I feed my guys raw & im currently doing a canine nutrition course - will NEVER go back to comercial foid again!!

Hi

Just received today 3 pks 1 kg of turkey necks ,4 pks I kg of wild rabbit pieces bone in ,
6 pks 1 kg of boneless wild rabbit and 3 pks 1 kg of mixed rabbit offals .From Woldsway
Foods in Lincs so I then add my mixed veg and mixed fruit and a few supplements like
bonemeal and keepers mix and some seaweed powder from Dorwest with a teaspoon
of goats yogurt and two little whitebait and they are happy and so am I .The bone in the
rabbit is very small pces as you have to be so careful with any bone even when I feed
chicken wings I cut them into three small pces before and always stay with them till they
are finished.I couldnt go back to kibble type food now they would shoot me with my AK47 .:)

For their weight I carefully weigh and feed 20 gramme of meat only .

Well done Sonia pls pass any tips over .

I've been looking into dehydrated raw - just add water. (Because I'm located in such a rural area there's no frozen raw food for sale locally but I could easily order dehydrated online.) I'd like to try adding it to kibble as a supplement. Has anyone tried dehydrated raw?

I use sojo dehydrated and add cooked chicken but the instruction is to add raw meat. You can buy it at amazon, it has good price. I heard that honest kitchen is good too.

Has anyone tried dehydrated raw?

I have asked the person from whom I buy our raw dog food about the freeze-dried/dehydrated raw that she can order for customers. She discouraged me from buying it, so I did not pursue it. Her experience is that dogs don't like it very much, but that may just be the brand(s) she carries.

We do use raw pre-made frozen medallions...

Has been such a major help for us with Gracie having had colitis quite a bit on processed foods. Gracie is also not too crazy about the freeze-dried and it really gets her constipated too unless we mix it well with fish oil or flaxseed oil and water.

For those of you in the US, both of these are reputable companies that I have used and they both deliver. HPP is owned by a Cavalier breeder here in Atlanta but they have distributors that ship the food to your doorstep. A Place for Paws also ships to your doorstep. Both of these are more cost-effective, I have found, than buying the bags of NV, etc from the pet-food store but you need to have some extra room in your freezer.

http://www.healthypetdiet.com/

http://www.aplaceforpaws.com/

I am using Nature's Variety raw medallions rotating with Primal raw formulas. My dogs are doing wonderful with the raw food! Stella's a blenheim that's mostly white and she did have minor tear and mouth stains, but no more with the raw. They love it, too! Now I'm just trying to convert the cat lol! Btw, I have heard of healthy pet diet, but getting the 2 brands I use is very convenient for me.

Yep I feed Polly (and my cats) raw. Polly gets Bravo and Primal mainly and I also like mixing in "Sojo's" grain free dehydrated into the mix sometimes. We also have used ZiWiPeak on occasion. All my furry kids do great on raw :)

The healthypetdiet.com site that Holly linked is a very good frozen pre-mixed raw diet. Our Sophie came to us on it and we fed it for a while. When we realized the potatoes in it were causing her scratching allergies, we had to switch to Oma's Pride, but HPP is quite good and if they'll ship directly to your home, then that is very convenient! With both brands, we have to add supplemental vitamins & omegas.

We did raw with our 2 older girls for about 8 months until both of them started having some issues with very loose stools.

It was a lot of work and they seem to like the food they're on just as much (Taste of the Wild)

Nancy

I feed Lucky and Sparky The Honest Kitchen. They've been on it for well over a year now (the Force variety - grain free chicken).

They are doing the best on it they ever did. I did Natures' Variety medallions for a couple months but switched to THK for convenience (aka - lack of freezer space).

I supplement Lucky's food with their supplement "Perfect Form" which really helps Lucky's tummy troubles.

I've been very happy with raw overall, and The Honest Kitchen fits with my life style. Before raw, both dogs had soft stools on all the various premium foods and we were having to feed them I/D (science diet prescription diet) to keep from having recurrent boughts of diarrhea. I love raw.

Re: Treats - I feed Orijen Kibble - grain free, not raw - as treats. I also have started making them dehydrated treats with yams/carrots/apple that I put in the food processor and then dehydrate into small cookies. They love them and I love that they are all natural, organic & made with love by me :)

I feed ours Darlings Raw, it contains 60% meat, 30% ground vegetables and 10% ground bone. All three have done quite well on it and their weight is not a big issue. Their coats and skin are also in good condition. On the face of it Darlings looks expensive. The amount of food they quote per dog is far too much.

Tania, do you make your own? If you do, how do you grind the bone? Way back when, when I used to feed raw, I read up on a lot of the discussion of various meat grinders that might be adequate to this task. I'd be interested to know what has worked, if you are doing it yourself.

Which vegetables do u use? I use cauliflower sprouts spinach beans and brocolli but is it true brocolli isnt so good for them?

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

Don't forget the carrots .I buy the mixed veg packs from Asda (Walmart ) which we steam (ie Dawn does I plead ignorance ) there's
four bags of mixed veg in a pack and one bag does a meal so we buy four packs a week .Also feed occasionally turnip pieces its a bit
crunchy and only Pops seems to eat it and the others eat some then just play with it .You feed sprouts as well ,I give them one each ,steamed, per
evening meal and they eat them ,me I haven't touched one in my life.I also feed them Burns dried carrot which they all love and I just
scatter a handful around and leave them to it .

Back