• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anyone feed raw??

Hi

Don't forget the carrots

I actually also grow Oat Grass for Lucky. This has lessened his insistence on eating pesticide treated grass along the lawns in the neighborhood when we go walking. Lucky loves to stop and eat "his" grass on when we start and end our walks. Sparky likes the grass, but I have to break off pieces from the top and hand feed to him. He loves it but can't be bothered to chew it from the plant. :)

They also like carrots and whenever I eat a banana or an apple they get a small piece as well.

Hi Lani

Yes grass is a favourite, mine are def part sheep .For fruits they have daily strawberries ,blueberries ,melon chunks, also after walks melon nice
and chilled to cool them off, they go through three big melons weekly .Apple,pear yes but banana no now too fattening also a daily spoon of Goats
yogurt and some whitebait (sprats ) just as they are and a weekly meal of sardine fillets lightly steamed .There main meat source lately has been
wild rabbit which I feed sometimes just as raw meat and then raw meat with bone in and occasional mixed raw rabbit offal ,as rabbit is about the
lowest fat content of all meats and of course all my girls are on a diet .Any other thoughts more than welcome .

I was doing my own diet, getting frozen raw meat delivered, but it was Durham Animal Products and I wasn't happy with the quality - the lamb and beef was mainly tubes [vessels] Then adding a mix of pureed raw veg and fruit, you need to feed a wide selection.

It's better to feed pureed than cooked veg - esp don't microwave anything as that destroys the vital energy in living things. I also fed a mineral supplement to get he correct dose of calcium and phosphorus. Although tripe is well balanced for the latter two, they are not in sufficient quantities.

However when I was ill it was hard for my husband to deal with all this, so we went over to Darlings. Although I thought this was very good, and as Tania says, you don't need to feed the amount they suggest, and by the time you've bought decent quality meat and veg and fruit etc, it doesn't really work out any more expensive.

Unfortunately they changed their system and now send it out frozen rather than chilled, which doesn't work for us as it takes 2 days to deliver it to here.

So we've switched to dehydrated raw - K9natural which I'm really impressed with.
http://www.k9natural.co.uk/index.php/about_k9_natural/

ingredients are: meat, blood, ground bone, seasonal fruits and vegetables, heart, liver, kidney, green tripe, eggs, garlic and cod liver oil. All of these ingredients are of a quality deemed fit for human consumption, and all except the cod liver oil (from Norway) come from New Zealand farms and growers.

Because it's dehydrated, it doesn't need any special storage except keeping it dry [so no freezer running costs either!] it also doesn't take up much storage space. I got mine from http://www.partnerspets.com/store/product/21831/K9-Natural-Freeze-Dried-Raw-Dog-Food-Lamb-4-Kg/ they did have a special trial offer but it seems to have finished - fortunately I stocked up!!

Lauren actually prefers this to the raw meat!! she picked it out of the bowl before the meat when I mixed the two.

K9natural recommend you also feed raw bones for their teeth cleaning and amusement effects! so we feed chicken necks [which I get from a wholesale butcher] for one meal - stand them on the worktop in the utility room with a bib on to keep them clean and feed them one at a time using pliers as one day I wasn't concentrating and Tommy bit through my nail EEK

Feeding necks for one meal and K9natural for the other works out at under £3 per day for the three of them including supplements - they have Carob flour, natural live [bio] yogurt, garlic granules, oatbran etc They often have Neem sticks for treats, also dried meat which I bake myself - liver, rabbit, chicken etc.

Even something like Naturediet works out around 78p per day each.

Karlin, If you haven't got a mincer for bones then you could wrap the bits in a tea towel and bash thoroughly with a rolling pin or mallet. or try Cutting up the meat into pieces with the garden pruners - brilliant tip from Tania :D so no choking on bones. There are mincers around the £150 price range which do a pretty good job on chickens - used to do whole carcasses through them. They are not great at rabbit though, and tend to struggle with the chicken skin.

Everything fresh is frozen for 2 weeks before use, to kill off any parasites - it doesn't kill bacteria and you have to be extremely careful when handling raw meat. Richard Allport the homoeopathic vet actually recommends the use of Zoflora as a disinfectant.

We use bibs for the dogs as here http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?37807-Bibs-for-messy-eaters&highlight=clever+tommy

I've discovered that the large size of the Junior Macare bibs are perfect, they do up with velcro at the back so adjust a bit, and are the perfect length so they don't drag on the floor.

Even with Darlings we were still struggling a bit with colitis - mucusy poos. That has cleared on the K9natural thank goodness. T|hey do still get the odd gurgly belly but it's much better.

bananas are important as they are a good source of potassium - we fed 2/3 banana per dog per week

Don't forget fruit is high in sugar and that might be part of your problems?

So we've switched to dehydrated raw - K9natural which I'm really impressed with.
http://www.k9natural.co.uk/index.php/about_k9_natural/

ingredients are: meat, blood, ground bone, seasonal fruits and vegetables, heart, liver, kidney, green tripe, eggs, garlic and cod liver oil. All of these ingredients are of a quality deemed fit for human consumption, and all except the cod liver oil (from Norway) come from New Zealand farms and growers.

Because it's dehydrated, it doesn't need any special storage except keeping it dry [so no freezer running costs either!] it also doesn't take up much storage space. I got mine from http://www.partnerspets.com/store/product/21831/K9-Natural-Freeze-Dried-Raw-Dog-Food-Lamb-4-Kg/ they did have a special trial offer but it seems to have finished - fortunately I stocked up!!

K9natural recommend you also feed raw bones for their teeth cleaning and amusement effects! so we feed chicken necks [which I get from a wholesale butcher] for one meal - stand them on the worktop in the utility room with a bib on to keep them clean and feed them one at a time using pliers as one day I wasn't concentrating and Tommy bit through my nail EEK

K9 Natural have sent samples. I am going to advertise them on the shop FOC. If anyone would like any, please let me know and I will send them free.

Unless Darlings change their formula, I am going to stay with them. Dotty is living proof of how fantastic their food is. If we go on holiday my next choice would be K9 Natural.

It is a shame they havn't got their shipping sorted out for people who live further away.

I use these for cutting up chicken wings and bones http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fiskars-Med...?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1315169444&sr=1-14

Homemade Raw

Winston has been eating a homemade raw diet for 4.5 yrs now. I follow a Prey-Model Raw diet of ~ 80% meat, 10% bone, 10% organ. In the beginning I religiously measured things out, entered his diet into a spreadsheet to ensure it met AAFCO requirements, etc. Now we just eyeball it, aiming for a varied, complete diet over the course of a week.

A typical meal for Winston is a chicken thigh + gizzard + 1oz beef liver, or a bone-in pork chop, or a steak + chicken foot. The only supplement I use is salmon oil for omega 3s (since not all of his meat is grass-fed/free range). Like Lucky and Sparky, Winston likes to graze on fresh grass/plant shoots and enjoys a snack of carrots, apple, banana, strawberry tops...basically whatever I’m eating he’ll get a couple of bites of.

When I’m traveling he sometimes gets Stella and Chewy’s frozen or freeze dried raw. He happily eats it but I find he gets intermittent constipation/diarrhea when on them for more than a meal or two (this may be variety dependent, we haven’t fully worked through that possibility yet.)

Back